Cheat Meals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheat Meals?

I just recently started the primal diet and am loving it so far. Before this I had tried numerous other diets and either was not able to stick to them or they just didn't help me lose any weight. The diet that I stuck to the longest (over 1.5 years) was the Abs Diet. This diet (and numerous others that I've heard of) strongly advocate a cheat meal or a cheat day in order to "shock" your metabolism and keep your body's fat burners on their toes. I think this is also done through fasting, but the cheat meal also allows you to have foods that you have otherwise cut out. I was wondering what the primal community's take on cheat meals are. I am down 13lb in 3.5 weeks and couldn't be happier. I'm mostly just curious to everyones take on this.

-Do you guys do cheat meals?
    -If so, what types of foods do you eat for your cheat meals?
    -Do you allow introduction of sugars and grains when you cheat?

I'd love to hear back from some of the more experienced people on here.

I wouldn't cheat with grains just because it isn't the carb load I worry about it's the effect it has on my digestive system. My idea of a carb cheat is a sweet potato swimming in butter and fruit for dessert. It's plenty sweet and doesn't kill my gut.
    ---
    ~Christine

Comment

Cheat meals are a piece of cake for me! ;-)
      MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

I had a huge cheat day on Sunday and even though I was bloated as hell the following day, I actually feel skinnier by now. I really regretted having cheated but I think it was worth it.
        .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

i'm not as experienced as a lot of the people on here, but here's my take on it.
          i believe in the "foot in the door" theory in social psych...basically by letting in a scheduled cheat meal you're kinda opening up the door to that kinda thing creeping in more often. "well, i had pizza yesterday, but only one slice so this brownie will be the second half of the cheat meal." see what i'm saying? this may not be true for you, but i have had that sort of creeping problem in the past, where a lil cheat gradually grows larger and larger...that being said, i don't think it's bad to cheat a lil bit every once in a while. i do incorporate sweet potatoes in my diet maybe 2-3 a month. i also eat more fruit than a lot of the people on here, but don't consider either of those foods cheating, but some very strict PBers would. my cheats have been (after almost eight weeks) - one organic cream soda which i wouldn't take back for anything. it was so delicious and beats the shit out of diet coke any day! an a sliver of my sister's birthday cake and a scoop of my mom's homemade vanilla icecream.
          those weren't scheduled, just happened...random. so instead of every saturday for dinner i have a wicked blowout maybe have a few lil cheats every now and then when you feel good about it.
          i will maintain the truth
          i knew naturally as a child
          i won't forfeit my creativity
          to a world that's all laid out for me
          i'll look at everything around me
          and i will vow to bear in mind
          that all of this was just someone's idea
          it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Comment

I have desert once a week at my family's Sunday dinner as my cheat for the week. I also eat vegetables and salad with that meal as well. For the rest of the week I've pretty much gone carnivorous.
            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I don't purposely cheat. I don't see the point. There are occasional unintentional slips or indulgences (cheesecake perhaps) but I don't set out to eat the wrong thing on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by sbevill7 View Post
                I just recently started the primal diet and am loving it so far. Before this I had tried numerous other diets and either was not able to stick to them or they just didn't help me lose any weight. The diet that I stuck to the longest (over 1.5 years) was the Abs Diet. This diet (and numerous others that I've heard of) strongly advocate a cheat meal or a cheat day in order to "shock" your metabolism and keep your body's fat burners on their toes. I think this is also done through fasting, but the cheat meal also allows you to have foods that you have otherwise cut out. I was wondering what the primal community's take on cheat meals are. I am down 13lb in 3.5 weeks and couldn't be happier. I'm mostly just curious to everyones take on this.

-Do you guys do cheat meals?
                -If so, what types of foods do you eat for your cheat meals?
                -Do you allow introduction of sugars and grains when you cheat?

I'd love to hear back from some of the more experienced people on here.
                Please refer to Mark's book on the 80/20 rule..

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. It's always nice to hear from people who have made the life change and have been through it all.

Comment

Sometimes if I am going to be in a social or work situation where I know primal choices are limited I will plan it as a cheat meal (without going crazy on it) and then make sure I am clean or IF before and afterwards.
                    My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

"Cheats" will happen just as part of life, most likely. Don't plan an entire day to gorge yourself on non-primal stuff, just accept that here and there you will eat something not entirely PB and don't stress about it.

Comment

Originally posted by hbeck View Post
                        "Cheats" will happen just as part of life, most likely. Don't plan an entire day to gorge yourself on non-primal stuff, just accept that here and there you will eat something not entirely PB and don't stress about it.
                        +1

Comment

I agree with the 80/20 principle which helps when the time comes to want to enjoy something sweet or "forbidden". I have also played with the official cheat day, and other that some serious excitement for the Saturday back up the truck and unload the ice cream cheat day, I have also experienced the digestive issues to go with it. That is the porpose I suppose, to cheat so much that you don't want to touch the stuff for weeks.

After playing with a few styles, I found that I work best with treats on my agenda rather than worrying about cheating one day, and craving all week.

I have also looked back at what cheat treats I enjoy the most, and which of those that cause the least digestive issues and related groggyness. Ice cream and cheese cake have been the best for me.

My favorite is to find cheat treats that are for the most part, within the "guidelines" of my current eating style. For example, cake with nut butter, eggs, banana, and dark chocolate chips works great because it tastes great, has the texture of cake and is loaded with fat and protein. Emily's nut butter cake is a great example. I had a piece for breakfast and will also enjoy one for lunch, so I don't feel the need to go out and have a donut.

Basically IMO, if you are able to embrace the 80/20 principle and not worry about this too much because you are doing the right thing most of the time, then an occasional treat shouldn't be too bad, unless you are in the club that has one treat and then can't stop for a week. Pizza for me is another love, however I have a problem with grains, so I will have a piece or two (I used to eat 5-6) and I will also have a big salad with meat to go with it.

Last but not least, I found a great tool by trial and error...

Always eat the "primal" foods on the plate first, and then enjoy the cheat foods if you are still hungry. At a thai restaurant, enjoy the meat and veggies, soup and if you are still hungry, have some more meat and veggies with some rice.

At a Mexican restaurant, eat the meat and veggies, then have some more and if you really want to treat yourself (I don't like the word cheat) then have a few scoops of the rice, potatoes or a tortilla.

At sunday dinner, keep in mind that there will most likely be a desert, so follow the "MacPhee Method" and eat the primal foods first (if there are any!) and then have some of the non-primal foods if necessary and save room for a desert that you will share with someone else.

This works for me, and I recognize that we are all different, so play with the concept that will work for you and adjust along your journey. By the way, great work on the positive health changes!

Comment

i think it all depends on *what* you do the cheat with. i used to cheat with krispy kremes and 3 musketeers and CW cookies, and then oatmeal, and now my cheats are mostly PB approved. a "free" day has largely benefitted me in attaining my goals, but not with foods outside the PB. if that makes sense.

ooh cheesecake. DR quit planting stuff in my head
                            sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Cheat is good to get the discipline, and if that's what it takes, i think someone cheating even two days (weekend) is better off compared to thsoe on the SAD.

That said, eventually, you want to relax and if it happens it happens, rather than planning for it. Once your disciplined, and you've SEEN and EXPERIENCED the changes in your look and how you feel, then you'll never really want to go back. Also psychologically, a "cheat" meal conditions you to view your improved eating habits as some sort of denial. Eating primal shouldn't be denial, and you can get help on the forums getting plenty of delicious and simple things.

But by all means do schedule off days (try not to call them "cheat" days) if that's what it takes to get you on the path, don't make perfect the enemy of good.

Comment

Working...
                              X