X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this too processed to eat?

Kraft American Cheese Deluxe slices.

The ingredients are:
    AMERICAN CHEESE (MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), WATER, MILKFAT, SODIUM CITRATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), VITAMIN D3

70 cals, 0 carbs, 6g fat, 4g protein

They are soooo delicious!! Probably too good to be true...

I don't eat dairy at all, but if I did, those would not be my choice--too processed for me.

Comment

I wouldn't touch it. They don't even taste like real cheese to me.

This is what I like to see in my cheese...

Ingredients:
      Cultured Pasteurized Milk, Salt, Enzymes.

Comment

With all the great real cheese choices available, why would any one eat this crap? Maybe your not getting enough oleoresin in your diet? YUCK!

Comment

If it doesn't smell like the animal it came from, it ain't real cheese.

Comment

My husband's family called that stuff "plastic cheese" when he was growing up. I always thought of them as the cheese you use when you have to give your pet a pill. =P I have some in the 'fridge for making my husband grilled cheese sandwiches, but I wouldn't touch them. I do eat a lot of cheese though, relative to some other people on this site... today I had mozzarella for breakfast, lol.
            "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

I concur with fxdwgmikeb. With all the great "all natural" cheeses available (even at my local big-chain grocery stores), why settle for that?

Comment

I've grown up on American cheese and have eaten it in sandwiches and alone since I was a kid, so I've acquired quite a liking to the fake cheese taste. I do like other real cheeses though too, so I'll just stick with them.

And those of you who ask how I could eat this processed crap, it's for the same reason you used to eat chips, candy, cake, pastries, breads, etc...because they are yummy!! I know you all haven't been primal since the day you were born so you've undoubtedly indulged in some of these tastey processed foods in your life. It's like saying "OMG how could you ever enjoy a slice of chocolate cake?!?!?!?" It's really not unheard of to enjoy the taste of processed foods, especially when you've been eating them your whole life. I'm still fairly new to PB so I still have some tastebud reprogramming to do..

Comment

SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE
                  ...would stop me regardless of what else is in there. Real cheese doesn't need a preservative, it's fermented in its own right. You just need to eat more real cheese and real food in general so that your taste buds will adjust to clean, unprocessed tastes. I'll bet after a month (or maybe even less) of eating real food you'll taste the preservatives and chemicals in that cheese immediately.
                  You are what you eat,
                  and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

yuk
                    ---
                    ~Christine

Comment

I grew up on that kind of cheese. To each their own but I can't stand the consistency now. It's been too processed for me to eat since looong before I stumbled into primal.

Comment

robss, I totally understand your love of the plastic cheese. I grew up on it as well and dig it in my grilled cheese sandwiches along with various other foods that I squeeze into my 80/20 days. I am just not 'there' yet.

I am glad for all you other primals out there...while there are lots of foods I can no longer tolerate because of my heightened sensitivity to their nastiness, plastic cheese isn't there yet for me. I do love real cheese too, and opt for it 99% of the time when I'm choosing a cheese lol.

Comment

heck, i couldn't even handle that plastic cheese in the CW days! i want to buy a bunch and make a homemade slip and slide out of them.
                          sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

If you're on a low-carb diet, it's probably fine. If you're trying to eat primally, yeah it's way processed. I eat cheddar cheese made locally from raw milk from grass-fed cows -- it's delicious, and makes a decent grilled cheese sandwich (I eat primarily WAPF-style, with low grain consumption, so I have the occasional grilled cheese on sprouted/sourdough bread). It also happens to be the cheapest cheese at the organic market where I do almost all my non-farmers-market shopping (my husband has a thing for Oscar Meyer lunch meat, and I've been known to get the supermarket organic chickens when we're strapped for cash).

Comment

That sounds like one small notch above Velveeta cheese spread or canned Cheesewhiz.
                              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Working...
                              X