How do you guys feel about miso?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys feel about miso?

Obviously not primal since it's made from soybeans, but does the fermentation process make it ok to eat?
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
    End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Fermented soy like miso and soy sauce doesn't contain estrogens. I eat a lot of soy sauce because it tastes better than salt.
    Make America Great Again

Comment

Mark address fermented soy briefly in this post:
      Are Cashews Primal or Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple

I usually avoid soy, but I did buy some miso once to make miso soup. It's certainly tasty. Just make sure it's gluten free; I think some varieties, like soy sauce, are fermented with wheat.

Comment

I'm ok with Miso. It's one of my borderline foods.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

It's fermented, yes, but don't think that any of the probiotics have been left in it since it has been cooked to death.

Same usually goes for natto.

Natto is ok from time-to-time to get some vitamin k-2, but soy, even fermented, is never a staple in my diet.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

We avoid all products containing soy grown in the USA which is genetically modified, patented by Monsanto.
            Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
            Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
            Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
            Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
            1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
            GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
            CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
            49 - 5'7.5"
            Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
              Fermented soy like miso and soy sauce doesn't contain estrogens. I eat a lot of soy sauce because it tastes better than salt.
              It has less, but it still has some:

Transformation of isoflavone phytoestrogens d... [Food Microbiol. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Furthermore, it seems fermenting soy INCREASES the activity of the compounds that make soy such a powerful goitrogen.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by MsSmith View Post
                We avoid all products containing soy grown in the USA which is genetically modified, patented by Monsanto.
                Yes, the moral/Monsanto thing is a bigger reason to avoid soy for me.
                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                bloodorchid is always right

Comment

well if people are afraid of gmo soy, you can get organic/non-gmo verified.

miso is probiotic which refers to positive bacteria for digestive health. there are good and bad bacterias in the gut so good ones are desirable to balance things. same with yogurt.

Comment

Originally posted by iliketoeat2013 View Post
                    well if people are afraid of gmo soy, you can get organic/non-gmo verified.

miso is probiotic which refers to positive bacteria for digestive health. there are good and bad bacterias in the gut so good ones are desirable to balance things. same with yogurt.
                    Wrong. Miso is almost NEVER served raw. All of the good bacteria would be cooked out of it in minutes. Miso SOUP anyone?

Comment

Thanks everybody. I don't eat it too often, but I enjoy it when I do. I also take potato starch and eat plenty of raw fermented veggies so I'm not too worried about the probiotic aspects. Mainly just wanted to make sure the phytoestrogens are mostly eliminated. I also supplement iodine so I'm not too worried about those effects either.
                      __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Comment

Originally posted by Eureka5280 View Post
                        Thanks everybody. I don't eat it too often, but I enjoy it when I do. I also take potato starch and eat plenty of raw fermented veggies so I'm not too worried about the probiotic aspects. Mainly just wanted to make sure the phytoestrogens are mostly eliminated. I also supplement iodine so I'm not too worried about those effects either.
                        According to Chris Masterjohn, there's no way to accurately know or assess how much iodine would be needed to prevent the effects of the soy goitrogens. His theory is it would be quite a bit since of all the foods it may just be the most goitrogenic one ever.

Oh, and he says the goitrogenic compounds in soy that get propagated by fermenting are also phytoestrogens, so maybe the phytoestrogens ARE increased? Lots of questions about soy abound.

The Daily Lipid: Fermentation Does Not Neutrailize the Goitrogenic Effect of Soy -- It Makes It Worse!

Still, eat it from time-to-time, you should be fine. I just like questioning these things to death.

Comment

I'm on a Whole 30 at the moment, but it's definitely something I'm going to reintroduce because I think it's acceptable and I want to see if I react to it. Mark generally approves of miso and natto.
                          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Ah, that's interesting and disappointing Drumroll - thanks for posting. I guess I'll stick to my morning bone broth most of the time and mix in miso occasionally as a treat.

Comment

It is so salty and used in such minor amounts that I hardly think it would be a problem, soy or not.
                              F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Working...
                              X