Staying healthy while travelling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying healthy while travelling

So I am going to the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. I live in Ottawa, so in total it will be 2 days of travel each way (16 hours of just flight time, 4 different terminals each way).

Does anyone have any tips to help with jet leg and to hit the ground running/avoiding catching some sort of sickness?

Thanks!

I've read taking a good probiotic is a good idea...starting some days before you travel, because 70% of the immune system is in the gut.

But you can stay home and get something, too. I have a globe-travelling neighbor who often brings some nasty crap back from the Far East. Wish I'd taken my probiotics 3 weeks ago...I'm still recovering from my encounter with this guy.

Comment

Drink lots of water to stay hydrated on the plane, wash hands, don't touch your nose or eyes with your hands.
      Make sure you are in top health before you leave by practicing good exercise, eating, supplementation and sleeping habits.
      Exercise when you get to Sochi and take a melatonin 2 hours before your desired bedtime to re-set your internal clock.
      High Weight: 225
      Weight at start of Primal: 189
      Current Weight: 174
      Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
        Drink lots of water to stay hydrated on the plane, wash hands, don't touch your nose or eyes with your hands.
        Make sure you are in top health before you leave by practicing good exercise, eating, supplementation and sleeping habits.
        Exercise when you get to Sochi and take a melatonin 2 hours before your desired bedtime to re-set your internal clock.
        Thank you. Anyone have an opinion on getting a flu shot?

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck_Cam View Post
          Thank you. Anyone have an opinion on getting a flu shot?

yeah. don't do it.

get yourself as healthy as possible before you go. take magnesium and d3. drink lots of bone broth and eat good yogurt. get plenty of sleep.

the arm rests, tray tables and those seat pocket on planes are FILTHY. the blankets and pillows too. do NOT touch them and then touch your face. i am no germ-o-phobe, but planes are very unclean and that's why so many people get sick when traveling. put some wipes in your carry-on and use them frequently if you touch stuff.

stay as hydrated as possible.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
            yeah. don't do it.

get yourself as healthy as possible before you go. take magnesium and d3. drink lots of bone broth and eat good yogurt. get plenty of sleep.

the arm rests, tray tables and those seat pocket on planes are FILTHY. the blankets and pillows too. do NOT touch them and then touch your face. i am no germ-o-phobe, but planes are very unclean and that's why so many people get sick when traveling. put some wipes in your carry-on and use them frequently if you touch stuff.

stay as hydrated as possible.
            ++1
            44 F 5'5
            SW 205.4
            CW 180.4
            GW 150

Comment

And...don't stress over the possibility of getting sick. Even with the most encompassing precautions, it only takes one microbe...

Relax and have fun.

Comment

I have a globe-travelling neighbor who often brings some nasty crap back from the Far East.

Comment

Chris Kresser just posted about this:

How to Stay Healthy While Traveling
                  My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm going for work, and can't afford to be laid up so that's why I'm trying to be extra cautious. Glad y'all share my thoughts on the flu vaccine!!

Comment

I don't do much I international t travel, but I have heard that grounding yourself helps to reset jet lag. People recommend going barefoot in a park or beach or something, but maybe not in Russia in winter. One of those grounding straps while sleeping may help.

You could also look into using melatonin, but don't over do it or you could mess up your circadian rhythm. Dave Asprey's recent podcast with Jack Kruse talked about it, and I'm sure they and other people have also written about how to properly use melatonin for travel and jet lag.

Here is the link to that podcast if you are interested

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/87-ho...kruse-podcast/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Markbt View Post
                        I don't do much I international t travel, but I have heard that grounding yourself helps to reset jet lag. People recommend going barefoot in a park or beach or something, but maybe not in Russia in winter. One of those grounding straps while sleeping may help.

You could also look into using melatonin, but don't over do it or you could mess up your circadian rhythm. Dave Asprey's recent podcast with Jack Kruse talked about it, and I'm sure they and other people have also written about how to properly use melatonin for travel and jet lag.

Here is the link to that podcast if you are interested

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/87-ho...kruse-podcast/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                        I subscribe to the bulletproof exec podcast but missed that one. Thanks!

Comment

I read that painting your face red and white with a maple leaf in the middle and obnoxiously yelling "GO CANADA!!" every few minutes will keep you healthy as can be

Hydration, hand washing, wet wipes (I always stash a bunch in a sandwich size ziploc bag to keep on me when I travel), healthy food and adapting your daily schedule to Sochi's timezone as early as you can (while in transit) will help you hit the ground running. The jet lag will be far worse on the way home, so don't sweat it too much on this end.

Comment

Personally I don't get flu shots any more. I used to, but I got sick every time I did, the last time I got pleurisy for 3 months. They can say what they want about it being impossible to get sick from the shot, but something about it just does not work with my immune system, it seems to send me immune system into a tailspin. Additionally, some studies have shown that taking Vitamin D3 is more effective than a flu shot, minus the potential side effects. But do what you think is right for your body. Some people have no problems with the flu shot, I just don't happen to be one of them.
                            High Weight: 225
                            Weight at start of Primal: 189
                            Current Weight: 174
                            Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Working...
                            X