Brains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brains

In particular lamb brains: what nutritional benefits do they have, what do they taste like, and how do you all cook them?
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Not sure. I have a recipe for deer brains that goes great with scrambled eggs. In fact they're supposed to have a very similar texture. If I get a deer this year, I may give it a try.

Comment

Considering that sheep can suffer from scrappie and deer from cronic wasting disease which are both prion diseases like mad cow I would avoid their brains as a meal choice but that is just me.

Comment

Yeah I've avoided eating brain because of prion diseases too.
        ---
        ~Christine

Comment

You will gain their knowledge though.
          My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

I thought that was from eating their heart? Or is it powers you gain from eating heart? =D
            ---
            ~Christine

Comment

Melissa McEwan says that brains have good essential fatty acids, but you can also get a lot of them from pastured butter, so she chooses to add butter to her diet and avoids brains because of the risk of prion diseases.

Eating heart gives you their courage, right? Or fortitude? (Or B-vitamins and Co-Q10...)

Comment

So I looked up prions and there have been no reported cases in Australia or NZ so I might just risk it.

Comment

Look at all of that cholesterol! Clog your arteries it will! *fingerwag*
                  Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                    Look at all of that cholesterol! Clog your arteries it will! *fingerwag*
                    Yeah that is a lot of chlosterol. I wonder what sort of chlosterol is in lamb brains. Probably a good and yummy sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                      In particular lamb brains: what nutritional benefits do they have, what do they taste like, and how do you all cook them?
                      I don't

But Chris Cosentino, the chef/partner at Incanto in NoCal has great information on "fifth quarter" foods on his blog, youtube etc

His website is http://www.offalgood.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Cosentino
                      "On offer are lamb’s necks, pig trotters and a five-course nose-to-tail tasting menu perhaps including venison kidneys and chocolate-blood panna cotta.""

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by ChristineCrain View Post
                        I thought that was from eating their heart? Or is it powers you gain from eating heart? =D
                        Knowledge is power

But yeah..power from eating the heart, possibly from the high level of carnitine.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

You may need to turn up the volume to hear it though.
                          My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

Working...
                          X