Food sayings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food sayings

I've just read this article (some of the advice I disagree with, but a lot of it is sound).

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...o-1975552.html

The bit that interested me most was the use of food sayings from around the world. I particularly liked:

"To say "I'm hungry" in French you say "J'ai faim" ("I have hunger") and when you are finished, you do not say that you are full, but "Je n'ai plus faim" ("I have no more hunger"). That is a completely different way of thinking about satiety. So: ask yourself not, "Am I full?" but, "Is my hunger gone?" That moment will arrive several bites sooner."

Pre PB, I for one would eat until bursting point, so this would have been good advice for me!

What are your favourite food sayings and why?

My Grandmother always hammered the "5-Colors on your plate" thing into us---and I'm so grateful <3

Comment

- bananas are not food, they are sweets.
      - No meat? (with a frown on face).

Both heard during my stints in West Africa.

Comment

Two mantras I had all during my weight loss came from my BIL...

"Eat to live, don't live to eat."
        "Food is fuel."

Comment

You are what you eat
          sigpic

Comment

"we are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are" -- adelle davis

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

"never eat more than you can lift." --miss piggy
            sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Here's an ironic one I heard in Spain: "Dame pan y llámame tonto," meaning "give me bread and call me stupid" (meaning, essentially, as long as I'm fed, I don't care). But from a paleo/primal perspective, you could totally interpret it literally as "bread's for idiots!"
              "To shed all the illusory rights & hesitations of history demands the economy of some legendary Stone Age--shamans not priests, bards not lords, hunters not police, gatherers of paleolithic laziness, gentle as blood, going naked for a sign or painted as birds, poised on the wave of explicit presence, the clockless nowever." --Hakim Bey, TAZ

Comment

"Where's the beef?"
                http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

thats a spicy meatball...
                  sigpic

Comment

Hunger is the best sauce in the world. [Sp., La mejor salsa del mundo es la hambre.]

- Cervantes [Don Quixote]

Comment

"Would you care to meet the meat?"- Douglas Adams
                      My father was always a proponent of try it twice: once for the shock, once for the flavor. That has introduced to many many new foods and combinations that I thought would be nasty.
                      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

Half of what you eat feeds you; the other half feeds your doctor.

Comment

A cow in the mouth is worth two in the pasture.

I got nothin'.
                          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Honestly, the only ones I have a serious problem with are the "meat as a flavoring" one and "wine with dinner" and the one about whole grains. And, honestly, Pollan does not advocate eating no meat; he advocates eating a primarily produce-dominated diet and choosing meat that is well-raised on its natural diet. Gee, that sounds familiar...

naiadknight, your father was lenient -- the nouveau parenting wisdom is that a child has to try something 10 times before he can be certain he dislikes it. Personally, I'm in favor of expanding my own culinary horizons as much as possible before having children so that I don't influence them when they see me avoid something. If you treat vegetables like a part of the meal, and not a chore, then they shouldn't have any reason to refuse them.

Comment

And here's one that if I never see again it will be too soon. "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." Just typing that caused my keyboard to catch fire and one of my monitors to explode. Hopefully it doesn't cause the MDA server to melt as well.
                              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Working...
                              X