• Show
Clear All

• Is placenta something you would eat?

Is this a primal thing???

Must read:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1908194,00.html

and see the video:

http://www.time.com/time/video/?bcpi...id=27457107001

I'm going to pass on those links just because... well that is redicilious.

Comment

in a word .. no ..

PrimalMom
      Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

Comment

Many mammal new moms eat the placenta. Why not? It's a bit of recapturing of what has been a very draining time on the body.

I think there are cultures where placenta eating took place, but I can't swear to it. Something I read once, I guess, in a galazy far far away......

Comment

I birthed both of my kids at home. I did NOT eat my placentas! I also didn't want to waste them, so they were planted in the garden (deep; I didn't want them getting dug up by neighborhood dogs!) and later planted flower bushes over them.

Comment

I've read about some new type of therapy that uses placentas to help prevent post-pardum (sp?) depression in women because its so full of the hormones that drop off after giving birth.

I wonder if I can find that article.

Comment

They are just about THE most nutrient dense thing that you could ever ingest in your entire life.

That being said, someone would have to SERIOUSLY slip it to me in a blended smoothie or something....'cause Ewwwwww!

Comment

I know several women who did eat their placenta to avoid post-partum depression. They had them dried & encapsulated (yes, you can send your placenta off for encapsulation).

I also birthed at home & though my placenta looked completely awesome - I didn't eat it.

Heh, I also suffered horrible postpartum depression/psychosis, so maybe I should have ;o)

Anyway, I planted mine too.

Comment

I didn't have PPD; I was ecstatic to not be pregnant anymore!

Even though I wasn't "primal" at the time, I did eat very well (high protein) through both pregnancies. I was constantly craving hamburgers, omelettes, and oranges. Maybe protein and/or iron deficiency is the correlation?

Comment

*urp*

We like to try new things but that will never be one of them. Let me stress that,

n-e-v-e-r.

Comment

mmm ... grilled or fried ???

PrimalMom
                      Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

Comment

Primal Mom: Sauteed in Bacon grease, of course!

lol

Fresh Baked: I heard that too, maybe if its in a pill form its easier to swallow (lol, sorry bad pun)

Comment

i've heard placenta smoothies go down pretty easy.

my first was born in a hospital and we weren't offered the placenta; my second was born at home and i was a bit dazed by the birth and told the midwives to just deal with it. i wish i'd kept it and eat a bit of it. it can help greatly lessen post-partum bleeding.

Comment

I might try it- not my own mind you! (Animal of course.)

There's an ancient Roman dish called placenta that has nothing to do with actual placentas. I was taken aback by the name. It's actually a pastry thing that sounds totally yummy. I haven't yet figured out how to turn it Primal.

As for placentas... maybe.

Comment

My Bradley instructor talked about this yesterday. She said placenta is very rich in nutrients and hormones and can help ward off post-partum depression. She said you can freeze dry it and encapsulate it to make placenta pills. And she said people have been eating placenta for centuries! I just can't wrap my head around the idea though.
                              Last edited by maba; 08-13-2010, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X