Typical dinner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical dinner

Maybe this is a dumb question but paleo dinner ideas really stump me. I have no problem coming up with breakfast or lunches but when it comes to dinner I just don't know what to eat or what is typical. I know there are a lot of recipes but I don't really have the time to make elaborate feasts every night. I want something simple and basic. I suppose I could copy lunch for dinner but that just seems wrong lol. So what do you typically eat? Is a dinner as simple as meat, oil, and veggies in a nutshell? banks

hi !!
    yesterday evening i ate some fish (roasted in a pan) with a bowl of leeks & cream
    i also cook a whole (and big) plate of roasted veggies in the oven (carrots, parsnips ...) with onions & garlic, then i mix a part of the plate with almonds to have a "dip" for raw veggies, then i mix another part with water & coconut milk to have a big bowl of purée, and keep a part of roasted veggies to eat with boiled eggs

i often cook big parts for dinner, then i have leftover for the day after

i always have about 4-5 different soups in the freezer

i cook daily big pans of vegetables then i store in the fridge

hope this helps !!

Comment

any vegetable. another vegetable or fruit. any palm sized protein. if the protein is lean, add any fat source that is preferably whole like avocado, handful of nuts (maybe in a salad?) or some cheese, if thats your thing

For me, i like to cook up some organic beef mince in the pan with some onions, peppers, thyme, and black pepper, put it all over a bad of dark leafy greens, maybe add some balsamic vinegar. Sometimes a medium sweet potato to accompany.

Comment

Steak. I can eat that every night of the week. I have different mixtures of spices in shakers to give the steak different flavors, or just eat cooked in bacon grease.

I have also started enjoying 1/2 pound hamburger patty topped with lettuce, tomato, home made pickle - catsup - mustard. Eat with a fork. Delicious!
        44 F 5'5
        SW 205.4
        CW 180.4
        GW 150

Comment

Mine tends to be a meat and a vegetable. Pretty simple.

Steak and sauteed mushrooms
          Chicken and broccoli in melted butter
          Fish and grilled asparagus
          Ground beef patties topped with a fried egg and a salad

Maybe I'll throw in white rice or something else if I'm in the mood.

Changing the spices or the cooking method makes a big difference. Beef in cumin is completely different than beef in rosemary. Grilled fish is very different from fish en papillote.

But yeah, it's pretty much a piece of meat and some veggies most days.
          Durp.

Comment

I'm cooking for a family, so do tend to take more time but, for example, last night's supper was cottage pie (made with minced grass-fed beef, beef stock, a slug of red wine, a chopped onion, a leek, a couple of carrots and a courgette/zucchini, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce and topped with mashed cauliflowers), and tonight I'm roasting a lovely free-range chicken, which I will serve with roasted broccoli and roasted parsnips. Tomorrow I expect I'll make some kind of meal with any leftover chicken and fresh vegetables.

Comment

Big hunk of meat and a huge pile of steamed veggies and potatoes with a pat of butter. Done.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                Big hunk of meat and a huge pile of steamed veggies and potatoes with a pat of butter. Done.
                And then the angels sing.
                Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  So different when you are cooking for a family.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies--that helps! So it really is that simple--meat + veggies + fat + spices (of which there are many different combinations). It's just I'm so used to having dinner with some sort of carb (typically a grain), that it takes a bit to wrap my head around the idea that it isn't necessary and dinner can be complete and satisfying without it. So it helps to see what others are doing.
                    Last edited by Seashel087; 01-06-2014, 06:19 AM.

Comment

One thing that for some reason I never tire of: ground meat of choice, onions, other veggies, sauteed in a pan. Add tomato sauce (or chopped tomatoes, or tomato paste) and spices. Get it all neat in the pan, then crack open however many eggs on top, and a little black pepper. Lower heat and cover until eggs are set. So easy. If I'm really lazy, just the ground meat, tomato product, spices, and eggs works just as well for me.

Also, depending on how low carb you want to go, a bit of white rice or potato can fit in just fine. An 8 oz portion of russet potato or a quarter cup (dry measure - expands to about 3/4 cup cooked) white rice have about 36 and 34 grams of carb respectively. So you don't have to rid yourself of these foods, just take it down a notch if you've been used to them being most of your plate.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                        So different when you are cooking for a family.
                        Why? Meat, veggies and potatoes is basically what my mom made for our family and pretty much what every mid-western mom in the us made for their family. Perhaps they added a jello salad once in a while.

You're not a short-order cook. The family eats what mom (or dad) cooks. Period.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Our dinners are as follows:

M: chicken or turkey, BIG salad with lots of veggies;
                          T: fish, BIG salad with lots of veggies, sweet potato;
                          W: beef with BIG salad with lots of veggies;
                          R: fish with BIG salad with lots of veggies, sweet potato;
                          F: chicken with BIG salad with lots of veggies;
                          S: steak night!!!! with BIG salad with lots of veggies;
                          Su: fish with BIG salad with lots of veggies, sweet potato!

Salads vary based on season, availability, and taste. I like to sprout things, so I include sprouts in them. Chickens are whole roasting chickens. Beef is mince in some way (sometimes a sauce, etc -- veggie sauce). Fish is atlantic cod.

Dessert is fruit. It's optional. Depends upon your version of primal, your carb counts, etc. We're fit/active with good body fat %, so we aren't worried about carb counts. So, it'll be berries with coconut cream or I make banana-cococnut cream-carob 'ice cream' if the bananas are ripe and frozen. It's delicious. 5 bananas, 3 tbsp coconut cream, and 3 tbsp carob makes 1 quart. At most, I can eat 1/2 quart at a sitting, but generally, we divide that into thirds. Though the boy doesn't care for it so much as he likes his berries/yogurt, so he goes for that. His dad and I like the banana. Generally, on sweet potato night, I don't have any 'dessert,' and DH will have berries on that night, so the non-sweet potato nights are 'dessert' nights with the ice cream.

Again, that had everything to do with our carb counts, and mine is higher than DH's.

Comment

Approximately what I eat in a 24 hour period:
                            One pound of grass-fed beef or other meat equivalent, inc. fish, chicken, etc.
                            Eight eggs.
                            Three potatoes, five carrots all boiled together.
                            1/2 gallon of full-fat yogurt.
                            2 cups of blueberries.
                            Seasonings, teas, occasionally bone broth and ferments like homebrew kombucha and Bubbies Sauerkraut.
                            Sporadic fruit loads, like seven bananas at once or a bag of dried stonefruits.
                            Occasional nuts, usually macadamia.
                            Previously ate avocado by the ton, guess I'm sick of it now. I've quit eating them for the time being.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Seashel087 View Post
                              So it really is that simple--meat + veggies + fat + spices (of which there are many different combinations). It's just I'm so used to having dinner with some sort of carb (typically a grain), that it takes a bit to wrap my head around the idea that it isn't necessary and dinner can be complete and satisfying without it. So it helps to see what others are doing.
                              Fat isn't even necessary, most meats have enough fat in them to bake or cook in that. Fat like butter you add for taste, so if you like it, go ahead.

Me too, found it very difficult to let go of the carbs with dinner. I'm not too concerned about my carb count as long as it stays under the 150 grams so I'm often adding sweet potato or rice products. I found that it's only sugar and grains that made me feel awful.

My normal dinners are like this:
                              Meat, chicken or fish, with veggies of the day or sweet potato.
                              Sometimes we make curries, I add white rice or wild rice with it.

Today I had beef with sun dried tomatoes, Mozzarella and carrots and Cucumber.
                              My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X