Is Mayo Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Mayo Primal?

I see that there is mayo in some recipes, but is it considered primal? Also, being made with canola oil, wouldn't it be high in Omega-6?
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Yes it would have a significant amount of undesirable omega 6 and what's worse it will be oxidized and cause heaps of free radical damage on the way in. It's also likely to be GMO, although the implications of that I can't say for sure.

I say make your own with virgin olive oil. Yummy!
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Thanks, Stabby! I've been thinking about trying that, especially after watching Meryl Streep do it in "Julie and Julia".

Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Stabby, as long as I have your attention, I am new, and my status is "member". I see others who seem new, and they are "junior members". And then there are "senior members". How does this happen? Is it based on when you join?
        Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Primal or not, I will give up my mayo when they pry it from my cold dead fingers. Food of the gods, I tell ya!

Comment

Yeah! That's the way I feel about my gummy bears! <just kidding>
            Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Most message boards upgrade "rank" by number of posts and I suspect that this one is no different. Looks like you've done a good deal of posting so that's my bet.
              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

+1 on making your own mayo.
                It's so easy... 1 egg yolk, whisk in a bowl, add EVOO a drop at a time while whisking, until it looks...like mayo. Add lemon juice, dash mustard and salt to taste. Don't buy the crap in the supermarket

Comment

Thanks so much! I'm going to try it soon!
                  Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I make mayo much as described above--but a warning. Get LIGHT EVOO; it makes a difference. Regular EVOO will make a really bitter mayo, but the LIGHT version is delicious.

Comment

The typical mayonnaise you find in the supermarket is based on grain oils - stay away from that. As others have said: Make your own mayonnaise and use an approved oil. Personally I haven't made any yet, but I like the suggestion of using half coconut oil, half olive oil.
                      MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

Thanks, Emmie! I'll be sure to use the light.
                        Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

A lot of the recipes for primal mayo recommend using bacon grease. So, if you're looking for a use for all the extra bacon grease that you have around then maybe try making some bacon mayo. I'm going to do that one of these days.
                          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Well, I certainly have enough bacon grease to be able to spare some! My brother-in-law once saw me throw some out, and said, "No! Don't waste it!" I told him that I "produce" a quart of it a week! I wish I could think of more uses for it!
                            Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I like the suggestion of using half coconut oil, half olive oil.
                              I have not tried coconut oil yet, but I'm going to get some real soon. Thanks for the tip!
                              Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X