confusion about nuts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The abstract summary stands: No affect on all cause mortality
    Please quote the line from the abstract which says this. I assume you're referring to this line:
    All-cause mortality was not reduced by either form of advice
    Saying a value was "not reduced" is NOT equivalent to saying it was "not changed."

What can say about what 'hazard ratio' means in terms of proportion to overall. Restate it in a way so that we can all understand it, please?
    The olive oil group had 10 deaths per 1000 person-years. The nut group had 11.2 deaths per 1000 person-years.
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

• You are cracking me up!
      What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

• You're sidestepping. Please quote the line from the abstract that states that eating fish did not affect mortality rates. I want to see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elliot View Post
          You're sidestepping. Please quote the line from the abstract that states that eating fish did not affect mortality rates. I want to see it.
          I am not sidestepping anything. As already noted the differences were not statistically meaningful.

I'll give you PREDIMED. I'm done.

Comment

• You seem to be rather inclined to question my claims, but you won't back up your own. Earlier, you said this:
            The abstract summary stands: No affect on all cause mortality
            I would like to see the line to which you refer. Please quote it for me.

Comment

The olive oil group had 10 deaths per 1000 person-years. The nut group had 11.2 deaths per 1000 person-years.
              That doesn't seem very significant? Is it .....statistically speaking?

Comment

• The p value for all-cause mortality in the olive oil group, relative to the control group, was 0.11.
                The p value for all-cause mortality in the nut group, relative to the control group, was 0.68. This is not surprising since the all-cause mortality rates were similar in the nut and control groups.

A p value of 0.11 is not as low as we'd like but it's still suggestive. Also, PREDIMED is the only trial (as far as I know) that tested the effect of nuts on mortality, so it's the best we have.

Comment

The p value for all-cause mortality in the olive oil group, relative to the control group, was 0.11.
                  The p value for all-cause mortality in the nut group, relative to the control group, was 0.68. This is not surprising since the all-cause mortality rates were similar in the nut and control groups.

A p value of 0.11 is not as low as we'd like but it's still suggestive. Also, PREDIMED is the only trial (as far as I know) that tested the effect of nuts on mortality, so it's the best we have.
                  But, did the study determine how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? For crying out loud, eat effin' nuts if you like them. If you are getting good exercise, eating lots of good whole food and controlling your weight in a healthy range, why would you give a rat's behind about statistical minutiae in one study. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees....

Comment

• But, did the study determine how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? For crying out loud, eat effin' nuts if you like them. If you are getting good exercise, eating lots of good whole food and controlling your weight in a healthy range, why would you give a rat's behind about statistical minutiae in one study. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees....
                    Can you provide legitimate counter-evidence? By "legitimate," I don't mean epidemiology or studies that rely on correlations. Show me real controlled experiments with good, hard outcomes (i.e. all-cause mortality).

Comment

Can you provide legitimate counter-evidence? By "legitimate," I don't mean epidemiology or studies that rely on correlations. Show me real controlled experiments with good, hard outcomes (i.e. all-cause mortality).
                      God Almighty you are dense.

Comment

• God Almighty you are dense.
                        What is the density of God?

Comment

What is the density of God?
                          Infinity. See if you can get your brain wrapped around that concept.

Comment

• I'd just like to point out, once again, the PREDIMED study basically shows that adding olive oil or nuts to your mediterranean diet might make you marginally healthier, and you're using it as evidence to restrict all PUFAs almost entirely. I'd really recommend taking this study off your 'Why PUFAs Are Bad' list.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
                              I'd just like to point out, once again, the PREDIMED study basically shows that adding olive oil or nuts to your mediterranean diet might make you marginally healthier, and you're using it as evidence to restrict all PUFAs almost entirely. I'd really recommend taking this study off your 'Why PUFAs Are Bad' list.
                              And for the record, I was only 'giving' him PREDIMED as a point of negotiation while we were still in the discussion stage. As it was the only study on which he stood a chance of making a case in terms of nut consumption. Don't, for a New York minute, suspect that I intended to leave it on the table when we had reached the stage of discussing the detail of the evidence that was admitted into the conversation.

Although I have stated that I am not debating with him further so now I will not proceed with my plan. As we never got more than the PREDIMED even admitted into the conversation.

Comment

• I'd just like to point out, once again, the PREDIMED study basically shows that adding olive oil or nuts to your mediterranean diet might make you marginally healthier, and you're using it as evidence to restrict all PUFAs almost entirely. I'd really recommend taking this study off your 'Why PUFAs Are Bad' list.
                                How does it demonstrate that adding nuts to a Mediterranean diet makes you healthier? To show that, you would need a Mediterranean diet with nuts and one without nuts for comparison. But the only other Mediterranean diet in the study used olive oil and had a lower mortality rate. So all that shows us is that replacing nuts with olive oil lowers mortality.

Comment

Working...
                                X