What Mark Eats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Mark Eats

I just read this - I Can’t Eat Anything! | Mark's Daily Apple and apparently Mark does not eat red meat - or a lot of it anyway. Am I correct about that? So he gets his protein mainly from his Primal Fuel - which I sort of don't think is exactly Primal. So - will others please 'weigh in' () on what to eat - I don't do protein shakes and probably won't - don't like the taste OR the expense. BUT I love a good steak.

I'd eat my protein too if I was selling so much of it that it was dirt cheap for me to eat it, especially if I was working it into my business costs and getting to write it off.

Not saying that is what he's doing but it's what I'd do haha
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Mark is not you. But read up on his history. He is coming from a very different place than many of us have come from.

I get my protein from meat.

Comment

Here's another sample using just food: Low Carb Sample Menu | Mark's Daily Apple

Some common food sources of protein that come in at less than 7 calories per gram of protein:
        • Pork loin
        • Egg white
        • 95/5 ground beef
        • Shrimp
        • Salmon (pink)
        • Lean pork (fat trimmed)
        • goat meat
        • Protein powder
        • Squid
        • Chicken breast
        • Chicken liver
        • Duck Breast
        • Chicken thigh

Whole eggs, while a fantastic food, and I try to eat about a dozen per week, aren't on that list only because they come in at 11 calories/gram of protein, and being oldish and lazy, I have to watch calories.

From your user name, it appears you're female, so you might not be able to eat as much as Mark unless you work out a lot. Just from reading here, it seems like women eat from about 1500 cals to 2500 cals/day to maintain a healthy weight depending on factors like age, body composition, and activity. But in the sample low carb menu post, Mark states that even he doesn't eat 2500 cal/day on a regular basis.

The Primal Blueprint is a guide. In the end, you have to fiddle around with it to see what you need to eat to attain your weight and health objectives. If you stay away from the poisons (most grains, industrial oils, added sugars), keep your carbs to less than 20% of your total caloric intake, and make your food intake animal-centric (it flew, walked, or swam before it became food), you should be able to meet your protein needs without protein supplements.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

He is an older guy who horribly damaged his body for years with excessive running and bad diet. I think I remember reading that his wife is a vegan or something also. All of these things, plus all sorts of other factors we will never know about, probably go into what he eats. Diet is highly individualized, so it doesn't really matter what anyone else eats. Obvously toxins like gluten, antinutrients, and cyanide should be avoided, but any food-based diet could potentially work for some people. Even if it doesn't work from our perspective, what someone else eats isn't really our business. Some people drink kale juice, some people drink butter and MCT oil. Niether is inherently wrong or right. Do what works for you. For me, that includes meals based on large amounts of delicious meat, so I will stick with that, regardless of what some dude on the internet eats.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
            I get my protein from meat.
            Thank you - I do know he is coming from a different place and has a totally different history. Just thought it interesting and somewhat of a question for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Markbt View Post
              Obvously toxins like gluten, antinutrients, and cyanide should be avoided...
              Love this - I think of statins just like cyanide now.

Comment

Originally posted by Markbt View Post
                He is an older guy who horribly damaged his body for years with excessive running and bad diet. I think I remember reading that his wife is a vegan or something also. All of these things, plus all sorts of other factors we will never know about, probably go into what he eats. Diet is highly individualized, so it doesn't really matter what anyone else eats. Obvously toxins like gluten, antinutrients, and cyanide should be avoided, but any food-based diet could potentially work for some people. Even if it doesn't work from our perspective, what someone else eats isn't really our business. Some people drink kale juice, some people drink butter and MCT oil. Niether is inherently wrong or right. Do what works for you. For me, that includes meals based on large amounts of delicious meat, so I will stick with that, regardless of what some dude on the internet eats.
                I think his wife is a pescatarian and one of his children is a vegetarian.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

To be honest, I recently realized that red meat doesn't settle too well in my stomach, well a lot at least, so I don't eat it all that often either - but I do love it. So instead I load up on chicken and turkey breast and TONS AND TONS of low mercury seafood/fish - works pretty well, I still get well over what I am "supposed" to eat in terms of protein, but BAH HUMBUG, I am going to keep on devouring it because my health is JUST FINE

Comment

No your not right. That was one day in the life....Here is what to eat:

What to Eat and What to Avoid for Lifelong Health | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      When I registered this was NOT on the download page. Well, guess there is enough info on the site and in the other downloads. Funny because it is still listed as a bonus for registering but it doesn't seem to be there.

Comment

What Mark Eats

Notice the fact that this post is sponsored by a multivitamin brand. They paid $$$$ for this post so they dictate a lot of the content.

The blog tags, key words etc. were carefully selected to target an audience that would be searching on the internet for supplements.

Basically this post is useless because Mark was directed by the multivitamin people to mention certain words for the purpose of making more hits.

Also the purposeful mentioning of his protein smoothie hyperlinked to his product increases the SEO ranking for his product when the words "protein smoothie" is searched on google. That hyperlink selection isn't just for lols.

So in conclusion, it was a mashup of Mark marketing his product and the advertiser's product. It was all a big advertisement.

I would put more weight on his non-sponsored stuff in terms of "what Mark eats."
                        ------
                        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                          Notice the fact that this post is sponsored by a multivitamin brand. They paid $$$$ for this post so they dictate a lot of the content.
                          Thank you for pointing that out - I did see the ad but as a newbie here I guess I thought it was an ad for Mark's stuff - probably exactly what I was supposed to think. However I did not click on the link - if I had I would probably have seen that it was a multi vitamin company and NOT Mark's stuff and would have discounted a lot of what I read. 'Reader beware'

Comment

Originally posted by Karyn S View Post
                            Thank you for pointing that out - I did see the ad but as a newbie here I guess I thought it was an ad for Mark's stuff - probably exactly what I was supposed to think. However I did not click on the link - if I had I would probably have seen that it was a multi vitamin company and NOT Mark's stuff and would have discounted a lot of what I read. 'Reader beware'

Him trying to sell more of his own protein shake drink also skews his posts to make it sound like he drinks it all the time. SEO concerns.

Really though, whey protein is supposed to be used as an accessory not a crutch.

Don't get me wrong- I drink whey protein (or egg white+ gelatin) with fruit shakes a lot when I have zero time to cook or when I have zero appetite for real food due to stress. I just don't see whey as a good permanent solution, day in day out.
                            ------
                            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by Karyn S View Post
                              When I registered this was NOT on the download page. Well, guess there is enough info on the site and in the other downloads. Funny because it is still listed as a bonus for registering but it doesn't seem to be there.
                              Thats basically the "Primal Blueprint" in one page. Not much in the way of sciencey stuff, but its the cold hard facts of what is healthy and what is not. What promotes longevity and what diminishes. Sometimes simplicity is best.

Comment

Working...
                              X