Heart Racing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Racing

Hi. I eliminated all carbs about 4 days ago and now only eat meat, fat/saturated oils (coconut/red palm oil) and cooked veggies. I've been eating about 3 -4 tsps. of these oils everyday along with what is cooked in my foods ? Is this too much ? Am I going too quickly ? I started to develop a slight headache the 1st day or so and then I was dizzy. But yesterday my heart started to race a bit and near the evening it was worse at 91 and it didn't calm down all night. I could not therefore sleep. I also got sooo hot, and then the next minute I got soo cold. I felt very hyper.

I checked my blood pressure and blood sugar last night and they were within good range. My pulse was actually good before I went to bed but I woke up a couple hours after I fell asleep with my heart pounding and racing and sweating. This morning I checked the same vitals and they are within range .

Can someone please explain what is happening to me? Is this my liver or what ? Should I be concerned ?

Thankyou in advance!

I don't know why this is happening, but I just wanted to say that when I went low carb I experienced this as well. At night my heart would race and beat very hard and I couldn't sleep at all! I do not eat low carb anymore and I haven't had that problem since.

Comment

Wow.. thanks Lotus Berries. But carbs cause blood sugar problems, I don't understand. How long did you try it for ? I was hoping it was some kind of transition phase...

Comment

I think it might be your thyroid.

Adding more carbs in are good for that, as is iodine, selenium, and magnesium.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Some anxiety or panic disorder...
          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I don't have anxiety disorder but it seems the oils have brought it on.

Do you mean I might be hyper now ? I'm going to go check my basal temp ...

Comment

Originally posted by BluSkye View Post
              Is this too much ? Am I going too quickly ?
              Very possibly. What are your goals with zero carb? If it's just general health I'd try swapping your previous carb foods pound-for-pound with tubers and fruits for a week or two then adjusting the quantity if needed.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I checked my temp it is 98.2. I had a good thyroid before starting so I must have gone hyper. I have hot flashes, too. Perhaps this was a case of too much too soon, and my body is overwhelmed but in any case I will cut down on the oils for now and do this more slowly. Thanks Magicmerl.

Thanks Picklepete , sounds like a good idea, too. I guess I will have to play with this. I stopped carbs because of blood sugar problems, but maybe I can introduce a small amount back.

Comment

My practitioner suggested Magnesium was the problem .He is right ! It worked in minutes and my pulse is normal! I don't quite understand this, and if the oils/fats had anything to do with it but it worked!!!

Comment

Wow.. thanks Lotus Berries. But carbs cause blood sugar problems, I don't understand. How long did you try it for ? I was hoping it was some kind of transition phase...
                    I was low carb primal for about 1 year before I finally said enough. I lost around 60lbs, which was great, but after a while my weight started creeping back up again, I had no energy, and my sleep just plain sucked. Eating carbs made me feel great and the weight started coming off again. I don't worry about my blood sugar from natural carb sources, and I only eat once or twice a day so it's not like my blood sugar is constantly high.

Comment

Hey guys... Have a look at this and let me know what you think:
                      Low Carb Diet Side Effects
                      http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.c...oglycemia.html

This must be true because the magnesium helped me !!!
                      Last edited by BluSkye; 12-22-2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Totally normal, because you are dehydrated. Your body just dumped its electrolytes. You need to find sources of sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.

Also, eat whatever carbs you eat right before bed.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                          Totally normal, because you are dehydrated. Your body just dumped its electrolytes. You need to find sources of sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.

Also, eat whatever carbs you eat right before bed.
                          Amazing, Knifegill.. I pretty much had every symptom listed here since starting last week. I think I definitely had reactive hypoglycemia. I'm excited to get this healed.

Lotusberries, did you have any of these side effects, or do you feel that your experience was totally unrelated to this ? It would be good to know. Thanks.

Comment

What makes you think you have reactive hypogylcemia? Did you measure your BG? What you call reactive hypoglycemia is actually "false hypoglycemia," and is an imaginary state conjured up by low-carbers to rationalize VLC side-effects; they're basically saying you're not "keto-adapted" yet. False hypoglycemia is rare and is only possible if you are diabetic or prediabetic to begin with. You don't have false hypoglycemia all of a sudden. If you have it, you'lll have it from the moment you start low-carbing.

Plus, in a VLC/ketogenic state, your fasting tends to rise a bit to preserve glucose and put you in a state of insulin resistance physiologically, so it's difficult to experience reactive hypoglycemia.

What you have is a typical VLC side-effect. Just google heart palpitations, heart racing, VLC/ketogenic diet. The problem is not with you but the extreme and problematic diet that you're trying to implement without full knowledge.

Amazing, Knifegill.. I pretty much had every symptom listed here since starting last week. I think I definitely had reactive hypoglycemia.

Comment

Another vote against hypo-anything. It's the fluid dumping and possible stress hormones if you're new to this way of eating. I did keto and near-keto for three years and can totally relate to all of your symptoms. After about three weeks, once you've found good sources of electrolytes, this all goes away for most people. And drink LOTS of water, and for a quick fix salt for now. Ideally you want to eat a lot more potassium than sodium, but that's fine tuning for later. And do make sure you're getting enough CALORIES. Especially at first! The last thing you need is a caloric deficit while your body is upregulating digestive enzymes and learning to run on fat.

Definitely eat before bed, and try to take your carbs then. Maybe half a potato or some dairy. If that doesn't fix it, then drop this whole low-carb thing and just eat the so-called "safe starches" in normal amounts if your gut can digest them, etc. The heat flash, check with the Peat people, they love to talk about it.
                              Last edited by Knifegill; 12-22-2013, 11:41 PM.
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                              X