Huge cholesterol increase on paleo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gdot, OP doesn't need to lose weight.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by gdot View Post
      Perhaps not - the first time at least you were eating eggs with potatoes.
      Yes that is true BUT I did not have eggs and potatoes at the same time - so I did eliminate both for these three months - and almost all other carbs too including fruit. I found grass fed beef - quite a drive to get it but I did. So I was eating beef several times a week, tuna (the ONLY fish I like), nuts, and salad - with whatever lettuces I had, raw salad veggies (onion, carrots, cucumber, peppers, garlic, etc) with macadamia nut oil and vinegar. For a snack I had a few walnuts or almonds. That's about all I ate for 3 full months. And during this time I felt so good and had enough energy to exercise. I exercised about 40 - 45 minutes per day, 6 days per week. My weight was and still is under control - no need to lose anything although I was not upset that I lost some anyway.

And the first time I only 'thought' they were crazy high. I didn't know what that meant until last week! When I posted earlier that they were normal before (120 something) that was before I started eating like this. Sorry if there was confusion there. The 'crazy high' comment was after eating like this for 1 month.

Comment

From what I gather though this isn't nearly enough time to really have the cholesterol settle down. Feeling great, wanting to exercise etc. etc. to me are strong indicators that you are doing the right thing. If I were in your position and feeling good I would continue on as is, get thyroid checked with full T3 and T4, and get blood checked again in 6 months.
        Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
        Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
        Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Okay, so in this thread you say that your triglycerides have always been high, and according to your newer thread, 5 months after going primal they have almost doubled from what you had before.

While I know the argument in the other thread is that the rise couldn't possibly be related to the primal diet, let's say it is. The question I would have then is: what did you cut out when you went primal? You seem to indicate that you were not a junk food addict before this point. Was grain the only thing cut out or were they other things? Was there anything you added that wasn't there before?

Comment

Originally posted by quidam View Post
            Okay, so in this thread you say that your triglycerides have always been high, and according to your newer thread, 5 months after going primal they have almost doubled from what you had before.
            Well - I did NOT say they have always been high. I said they went up one month after starting to eat like this. I thought, after reading this forum) that it might have been something like a rebound reaction to changing what I ate since I had only been eating like this for 1 month. I also cut out all grain(used to eat quite a bit of grain stuff), most of what I thought were high resistance carbs, bottled salad dressing, anything in a package (used to snack on peanut butter crackers), and now eggs and fruit. I added meat (and finally grass fed, grass finished beef) which I rarely ate before.

Comment

Definitely something else going on here. Grassfed beef isn't going to skyrocket your trigs

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                Definitely something else going on here. Grassfed beef isn't going to skyrocket your trigs
                Thank you

Comment

I know it was mentioned in your other thread, but seriously, you should get a full work up. Like, everything under the sun. And definitely a second opinion. Your results are very far from typical and based on the little info you've provided, I have no answers. Good luck

Comment

Perhaps her trigs went up after stopping taking the statin?
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Thanks Karyn and Urban Forager for filling me in on some details.

I also see that I jumped into an old thread in which much of the information at hand was generated at the end of December.

Any new numbers or information to report since then?

I must admit - I'm a bit stumped at the moment.

While I'm not one to chase the numbers I also take this very seriously, my father had his first triple bypass when he was 48, his second when he was 60 and died of liver cancer (of all things) when he was 75.

He was, by the way, very sensitive to eggs. Nothing could trigger his tris like eggs. He did live in the 'whole wheat and legume' era of healthy eating though. Always worked the low saturated fat, high 'healthy carb' approach. Perhaps I'm a bit too emotionally charged to be completely rational. But I am 100% convinced that the dietary solution, if there is one, involves the balance between fats and carbs.

Have you done much reading on the ideas regarding chronic inflammation?

You have me stumped, so far!
                      What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Working...
                      X