• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to Fruit for Breakfast

A normal breakfast for me is:

protein: salmon slice, turkey slice, and egg
    fruit and fat: one cup of fruit and covered in coconut milk

I have high fasting glucose, and I want to test taking fruit out of diet to see what effect that has on that. What does the Paleo diet let me replace that with that I can make easily? I would normally try something like oatmeal but that is a non-Paleo item. I definitely want a low glycemic solution.

In addition, fruits have a lot of antioxidants. What can I take that is a non fructose item that has similar levels of the same types of antioxidants?

Vegetables :-)

Comment

Originally posted by endless View Post
      Vegetables :-)
      Yes, but I'm not really wanting to cook, and raw veggies are not exactly a joy to eat. I do have a large salad before lunch made of spinach, salsa, and salmon eggs. And I have two veggie servings with lunch and dinner each.

I'm looking for a miracle here: something that takes minimum preparation, gives me low-glycemic glucose instead of fructose, and has lots of antioxidants to boot. Probably just wishful thinking, but no harm to ask?

Comment

If you cook a big sweet potato, you could eat on it for a few days.
        Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
        34yrs old, 5'5"
        CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
        GW: 135lbs or less
        Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

Comment

Sweet potato is a good one and that could cover a few breakfasts. Other ideas?

Comment

I don't even eat breakfast half the time. If i do, I open the fridge and shove some cheese, meats, left over whatever in my mouth and out the door I go. Haha.
            My interesting paleo weight loss blog

Comment

On that note, I want a banana now
              My interesting paleo weight loss blog

Comment

What about a pumpkin pie smoothie- pumpkin, vanilla whey powder, pumpkin pie spice, coconut milk.
                You can get whey protein that is pretty much only protein.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Omelette with whatever you fancy in it. There's no need for a carb alternative at that time of the day imho. I have a six egg omelette with red pepper and cheese and I can easily last until dinner at 6pm if I have to.
                  Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
                  www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

White potato and onion, cooked in your favorite primal oil?

Comment

Originally posted by westes View Post
                      A normal breakfast for me is:

protein: salmon slice, turkey slice, and egg
                      fruit and fat: one cup of fruit and covered in coconut milk

I have high fasting glucose, and I want to test taking fruit out of diet to see what effect that has on that. What does the Paleo diet let me replace that with that I can make easily? I would normally try something like oatmeal but that is a non-Paleo item. I definitely want a low glycemic solution.

In addition, fruits have a lot of antioxidants. What can I take that is a non fructose item that has similar levels of the same types of antioxidants?
                      I usually cook in the morning (I love breakfast) but occasionally I will prepare a frittata that will last a few days. I love this as it saves time in the morning but an even bigger benefit is the variety you can make them with. Choose your ingredients, saute them however you like add eggs and bake. This lets you spend an hour or so cooking on one day and have breakfasts ready to go for most of the week.

I have yet to find a combination of vegetables and meats/fish that I don't like prepared this way, below is a list of combinations I've enjoyed:

Salmon, dill and tomato
                      Broccoli, sausage, peppers and onions
                      Pulled pork, sweet onions and red pepper
                      Chicken, salsa and avocado
                      Beef, Spinach and jalapenos
                      and my current favorite: Bacon, Avocado, Peppers, Onions, Red Pepper and Kale

I've found that to truly feel like you are living an abundant life (I love that term) you have to prep and plan a little bit. Once you find your rhythm/balance though it doesn't seem like much effort for the rewards you reap!

Hope this helps!

Comment

Why don't you eat a salmon filet instead of a slice, or 4 eggs instead of one. Why replace the fruit at all? Get rid of it completely, and the coconut milk you put on it and just have a nice big piece of protein. Cook it the night before as an extra piece of meat at dinner and save it for breakfast.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Nuts and coffee
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            Why don't you eat a salmon filet instead of a slice, or 4 eggs instead of one. Why replace the fruit at all? Get rid of it completely, and the coconut milk you put on it and just have a nice big piece of protein. Cook it the night before as an extra piece of meat at dinner and save it for breakfast.
                            +1
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Drock View Post
                              White potato and onion, cooked in your favorite primal oil?
                              White potato has a glycemic index of 82!!! That's worse than bread.

Comment

Working...
                              X