Rice Pancakes vs. Wheat Pancakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice Pancakes vs. Wheat Pancakes

Last edited by venfayon; 03-11-2014, 09:44 PM.

We use arrowhead mills gluten free pancake mix when we're in the mood for pancakes or waffles

Comment

There are gluten free flour mixes that are usually blends of tapioca flour, potato starch, rice flour and/or corn starch or you can make your own blend. I make pancakes maybe once a month or less on Sunday mornings and I don't worry about. I don't like associate food with cheating. Life is too short not to occasionally eat a food that will not poison you. A gluten free pancake with some fresh berries on top and a couple of eggs is pretty killer.

When making gluten free pancakes, add an extra egg or two to your mix to make it a little more tender.

Some people like to mix eggs and banana for pancakes.

Comment

Here is what I do regularly for my 5-yr old:

one egg
        1-2 T applesauce
        1-3 T milk
        2-3 T almond flour (sometimes ground flax or mix)
        dash of vanilla
        dash of cinnamon

All amounts by feel and approximate to get the right batter texture. I would err on the side of smaller pancakes as sometimes it doesn't hold together like a classic pancake.

As far as presentation goes, I use blueberries, raisins, and dried mango as decorations to make fish, dog heads, turtles, snowmen, etc. I am becoming quite accomplished in the decoration realm, at least in the uncritical eyes of my daughter and wife (though today I did get a complaint: "that's a fat fish pancake. I wanted a skinny fish" Yeah, whatever).

Comment

Look up Stephan Guyenets receipe for buckwheat pancakes. They're really good, but require somework to go into it and planning.

Comment

I'd rather have....no pancakes.

You should consider one of banana/egg pancakes -- its recipe is likely to float around a primal/paleolithical community and around the internet. It comprises of mainly 1 banana and two eggs -- simple, gluten-free, AND naturally sweet.
            Male|18|5'8|155-160 lbs|University of Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Primaholic View Post
              You should consider one of banana/egg pancakes
              Ditto, flat things don't need gluten for rise so any starchy substance will work--chestnuts, plantains, squashes, sweet potatoes
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Green plantains are my favourite. Best pancakes I've ever had!

Perfect Paleo Pancakes The Paleo Mom

Comment

Originally posted by Primaholic View Post
                  I'd rather have....no pancakes.

You should consider one of banana/egg pancakes -- its recipe is likely to float around a primal/paleolithical community and around the internet. It comprises of mainly 1 banana and two eggs -- simple, gluten-free, AND naturally sweet.
                  Yeah, we use a 1:1 ratio, and it works for us. The only problem is that it doesn't have the same structural integrity that a wheat pancake does, so we've devolved into cooking them as muffins instead.
                  Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                  5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                  Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                  TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                  bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                    Yeah, we use a 1:1 ratio, and it works for us. The only problem is that it doesn't have the same structural integrity that a wheat pancake does, so we've devolved into cooking them as muffins instead.
                    If your cupboard is weird like mine, a dab of acorn starch is a great cohesive for these. Supposedly nut butter and ground chia work too.
                    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I soak rice and lentils, then grind and ferment. The fermented batter is used for rice pancakes. Sometimes I mix bananas/molasses to make sweet pancakes. I grind batter once a month and the batter keeps in the fridge. Sours a bit, but still good. It's gluten-free.

Comment

Originally posted by lotusberries View Post
                        Green plantains are my favourite. Best pancakes I've ever had!

Perfect Paleo Pancakes The Paleo Mom
                        I haven't been able to find plantains in Australia.

Comment

I usually use 2 eggs to 1 banana, and they come out pretty fantastic. Add a little peanut butter (or almond) and some honey drizzled on it, Mmm.

Comment

Rice pancake? Why not just mochi then?

M.

Comment

Originally posted by HelenLouise View Post
                              I haven't been able to find plantains in Australia.
                              That's a shame! I use plantains for everything. The plantain pancakes are very similar to regular pancakes, they flip nicely, and don't fall apart. Banana pancakes taste great but they're just such a pain to flip in the pan because they're so soft. I gave up on them a long time ago, but it can be done with bananas.

Comment

Working...
                              X