No announcement yet.

Rice Pancakes vs. Wheat Pancakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I make sweet potato pancakes and they are soft, and wonderful. I mix in some banana or plantain sometimes, or berries into the paste. It is easy, just need to pre-bake a sweet potato for absolutely insane natural sweetness. Mind you, I use the orange one, sometimes called yam. I prebake a potato at 325 degrees for a couple of hours in foil (my potatoes are HUGE, about 2-3 cups worth). Chill overnight, peel and mush about 2 cups with a hand blender with 5 eggs, and cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt (the leftovers can be mixed with a banana for another batch). Then I wisk in 1/4 c tapioca starch and pour on 325-350 girdle that was slathered with butter using my 1/4 c ladle. They flip fine and even if they were a bit underbaked before flipping, and break, I just 'reflip, and no biggie. My family loves it! Even my 7 yo fruit-fly tops them with plain yogurt and butter rather than honey because they are so perfectly flavor-balanced. Well, sometimes she does go for honey, lol.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-17-2013, 09:28 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
      We use arrowhead mills gluten free pancake mix when we're in the mood for pancakes or waffles
      They are pretty damn tasty too, I think even more so than regular pancakes.

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
        They are pretty damn tasty too, I think even more so than regular pancakes.
        definitely

Comment

Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
          I usually use 2 eggs to 1 banana, and they come out pretty fantastic. Add a little peanut butter (or almond) and some honey drizzled on it, Mmm.
          Yup....I'm not a fan myself as I prefer a 6-8 egg omelet with tons of veggies and cheese, but my kids absolutely love em this way.

Of course I'm not much of a pancake guy. If I where to splurge it would be waffles so I could fill all the little holes with butter and syrup.

Comment

Originally posted by Primaholic View Post
            I'd rather have....no pancakes.

You should consider one of banana/egg pancakes -- its recipe is likely to float around a primal/paleolithical community and around the internet. It comprises of mainly 1 banana and two eggs -- simple, gluten-free, AND naturally sweet.
            Agreeing with Primaholic on this one. There are several varities of this recipe floating around the internet, it is quite possible to have pancakes without the slightest grain of flour, of any kind. There are banana and also pumpkin puree versions and all work well.

Here is one recipe for pumpkin pancakes. There is an option to use coconut "flour" but I never have - it isn't necessary if you are using canned pumpkin, it might be if using fresh.

Comment

I've made pancakes with flour that is a mix of 4 parts white rice flour and 1 part sweet rice flour.

Comment

Working...
              X