Vacation Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation Advice

I just started eating primal again, but am about to go on a cruise. I don't mind giving up bread, but would like to enjoy the occasional dessert and, more importantly, sample cocktails. Any advice for me? IF maybe? I plan on exercising while I am there.

If eating gluten doesn't give you any symptoms that would impact your enjoyment of the cruise, go ahead and eat what you want.

Comment

Don't go on the cruise. I'll suck it up and take your ticket.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I'll pass on THAT offer, but thanks.

Comment

Then enjoy the cruise. Stressing about it is probably worse than eating the crap. Be good when you get back.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Heh! I went on a cruise this summer... what I did was, I ate very paleo for breakfast and lunch. Lunch was often on shore and fresh fish, every time. Dinner was where I had a dessert and some alcohol. I gained only four pounds. Also, the ship had a personal trainer so I got some sessions. I also paid for the week long spa pass... best value ever. Have fun!
            Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I use the "gourmet exemption", choosing the things that contain some artistry and love and not just pasta that came out of a box because it's temporarily legal. I also target soup, salad, protein, and safe starch first so the treats are used for flavor and not fillup.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Nothing wrong with some cocktails or desserts. There should be plenty of food you can fill up on that is primal.
                http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I'm going to suggest you DON'T go hog wild on the cruise. Why? Because by the second or third day you will feel like crap, be bloatd like a balloon, and hate that you did that to yourself. Who enjoys a trip when they feel gross?!

So I'd employ a combination of "is it worth it?" and the 5-bite diet. Don't laugh! The first 3-5 bites of something is what you really taste and enjoy, and the rest is just eating it for the sake of eating it. Honest. Really want cake? Is it worth it? Have 5 sensible, human-not shark-sized bites of it, then set it aside. If you do this, then you'd be surprised how little junk you actually consume amount-wise, but just how much you still get to enjoy.

I would also ALWAYS avoid pasta. It is so easy to do, just don't choose the pasta option. That much wheat on a plate sure ruins my holiday.

Up to you whether you want to further limit dessert to just one meal (i.e. dinner) or enjoy at lunch and dinner. But the 3-5 bites thing (share with someone!) will help.
                  5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

Vacation Advice

Sample cocktails. Don't eat baked goods. Get a small ice cream and maybe flourless chocolate cake so you don't feel deprived. If it is a buffet scenario and you absolutely cannot say no, get the smallest slice of everything and nibble on all of them without really eating the whole portion.

I find that the longer I stay away from flour-based stuff the more I can say no. Last night I baked 3 types of cookies and I wasn't tempted to eat any of them....
                    ------
                    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

I'd eat healthy for breakfast and lunch- bacon and eggs should be easy to fine, fresh fruit, salad, etc. Then at dinner splurge. I did that in Aruba and most of the time it was a primal splurge anyway- steak etc. Unless you really like it, avoid pizza and pasta (that kind of stuff always seems to suck outside of specialized restaurants anyway).

For drinks, fruity cocktails pretty much will make you ill, not drunk. One Pina Colada is good, then if you are specifically drinking for the goal of being drunk/tipsy switch to vodka/sodas. IMO, the worst part of vacation is overdrinking "tropical" drinks in terms of sheer making you feel like hell.

I've noticed that in general, "unhealthy" foods in tropical places suck. Like it's never as good as it looks to get dessert, pizza, burger, pasta, bread. The fresh foods are usually awesome- fish etc.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Enjoy yourself. This cruise won't be for the rest of your life, so the second you come back, you can get back on to living your Primal lifestyle again. If you have no problem ditching some of the non-primal foods, then keep on ditching them, but if there are some must haves in your life, ie: the alcohol and the desserts, then treat yourself, just try not to OVERDO it.

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice! I am not to big on desserts so I do t worry about that. And I agree-the less I have bread, the less I want it. It seems like a chore to eat. However, I do love cocktails and they are not something I indulge in often ( though I love a good craft IPA and am trying to cut back on those.)

Comment

However, I do love cocktails and they are not something I indulge in often
                            Ask bartenders if they have signature drinks. When I was in USVI, they had these stupid rum buckets and typical mixer drinks that sucked, but I asked the bartender for something less sweet/cloying and she made me these fresh pineapple drinks with club soda that were so much better- taste and enjoyability wise.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                            X