Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gelatin use and odor ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gelatin use and odor ??

    Wondering if anyone else has exp. this -- and while maybe this belongs in odds n ends, hoping some fellow gelatin users can tell me if they have noticed this.

    Just this week I started adding Great Lakes to my routine; spoonful morning and eve. Haven't adapted to the taste of it when dissolved so I've taken it straight. Drunk down w/ water.

    But I noticed yesterday a sweet, high-note smell, almost like pee. And when I sniffed the top of the Great Lakes canister, it is the same smell. Anyone else have this happen? As in, do you you smell like the gelatin?

    “you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

    Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

  • #2
    I've been drinking 3-4 TBS a day for months now. No..no odors of any kind.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #3
      I usually put it in my Earl Grey tea and don't notice a flavor or smell but I only use about a 1/2 tsp a cup. It does have a smell/ slight flavor if I use too much. At this point, since it is so cold, I am drinking about 4-6 cups a day, with decaf in the afternoon.

      Comment


      • #4
        V, I think she is referring to the smell coming from her, not the gelatin itself.

        Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
          V, I think she is referring to the smell coming from her, not the gelatin itself.

          Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
          Oh, my bad. No smell coming from me, at least not related to the gelatin.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vh67 View Post
            Oh, my bad. No smell coming from me, at least not related to the gelatin.
            Lol

            Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              I also only smell/taste the gelatin if I add too much to a small amount of liquid. I add maybe 2 tsp - 1tbsp to my coffee in the morning and don't notice it. Maybe I'm just used to it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                V, I think she is referring to the smell coming from her, not the gelatin itself.
                right - i can't determine if it's my sensitive nose, noticing a new food I'm ingesting or if I'm walking in a cloud of gelatin...! maybe i'll try less per dose and see if that is the situation.

                thanks folks for the quick replies

                “you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

                Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I did stick my nose into my green can, but it's almost empty. Then I stuck my nose into my red can which is almost full. I can smell it! It is reminiscent of pee. I wonder if it's because you eat it straight? Or..you just have a really sensitive nose and palate.

                  Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                    I did stick my nose into my green can, but it's almost empty. Then I stuck my nose into my red can which is almost full. I can smell it! It is reminiscent of pee. I wonder if it's because you eat it straight? Or..you just have a really sensitive nose and palate.
                    Aha! Yes, I was going to ask if people noticed a diff btw the red and green can. I have the red and my experience is probably a combo of both; a good nose and eating it w/o enough dilution.

                    So the hydro (green) version doesn't smell. Very interesting....

                    “you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

                    Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well wait..that may be because my can is almost empty. Opening a new can today, so I will test it. :-)

                      Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by spk View Post
                        Aha! Yes, I was going to ask if people noticed a diff btw the red and green can. I have the red and my experience is probably a combo of both; a good nose and eating it w/o enough dilution.

                        So the hydro (green) version doesn't smell. Very interesting....
                        Okay, it's official. The red can has a stronger smell. Maybe whatever they do to hydrolyze the green can lessens the smell?

                        Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Gelatin use and odor ??

                          I rarely drink it with just water. I take my gelatin with orange juice or coffee/milk. Otherwise I make a gelatin-based dish.
                          ------
                          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

                          My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


                          Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

                          " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I put 2T into a 20 ounce decaf. Green can, no smell. I'll check the orange Porcine can.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                              Okay, it's official. The red can has a stronger smell. Maybe whatever they do to hydrolyze the green can lessens the smell?
                              Yep, that sounds like the reason. Im using the bovine and when I tried it in plain warm water, I knew it would take some time to get used to the distinct aroma. Thanks for helping me sort it out! I love my coffee as it is, so haven't braved adding the powder to it yet. May have to try it in other ways like suggested by everyone. Get creative.
                              Last edited by spk; 12-11-2013, 10:57 PM.

                              “you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

                              Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X