Struggling with strict paleo :-(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling with strict paleo :-(

Its not so much that I'm craving other foods, just getting a bit bored and overeating...
    When hunger calls I tuck into some nuts or seeds usually. Im eating a lot of meat, probably about 500g per day plus a couple of eggs and / or tin of tuna or mackerel. My weight has plateau-ed at 230lb (6'2") and I'm starting to feel a bit negative about it all.
    I have a large amout of veg, raw or lightly stir fried, and usually have two pieces of fruit each day (orange, apple, pear, strawberry).

My questions

Would you advise white rice to introduce some carbs back?

I read somewhere (PHD I think) that green beans and peas were ok and not treated like other legumes....that would be most welcome if true - any views?

PO.TA.TOES
    White rice is fine too.
    Fruits as you like with meals.
    Legumes: process them before eating -> soak them in warm water for 24h, boil them hard 15mn and let simmer for 2 hours. Then you can eat them, cool them down and stir-fry them the day after. Lots of processing that puts me off most of the time.

But PO.TA.TOES

Comment

If it's a real food that grew in the ground or ran on legs, and isn't correlated with any negative health issues, have at it.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
        Legumes: process them before eating -> soak them in warm water for 24h, boil them hard 15mn and let simmer for 2 hours. Then you can eat them, cool them down and stir-fry them the day after.
        Does anyone really do this? Do you actually expect someone to do this? After this much processing, you could drink them with a straw.

Comment

Does anyone really do this? Do you actually expect someone to do this? After this much processing, you could drink them with a straw.
          That's pretty much how you cook dried beans. Soak/Boil/Simmer.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
            Does anyone really do this? Do you actually expect someone to do this?

I do. Letting a bowl of stuff soak on the counter isn't exactly hard work. I often plan ahead otherwise there won't be food in the house - and there's surprisingly little that I can eat off the shelf, so not planning ahead means being hungry. Beans might need several hours of cooking, but lentils only need 30-40 minutes, otherwise they become mush.

Comment

Oh, my apologies. I was not thinking about dry beans...way too much work for me!

Comment

Eat some sweet potatoes lol...

Comment

I do. I go for black beans rather than kidney, they don't turn into mush for me. Then again, I soak them in whey from making my own quark rather than water.

Oh, my apologies. I was not thinking about dry beans...way too much work for me!
                  Well, it's not like you carry that bowl around cradling it...

You do know that you should presoak and dry out your nuts and seeds the same way, right?
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic Caveman View Post
                    Its not so much that I'm craving other foods, just getting a bit bored and overeating...
                    When hunger calls I tuck into some nuts or seeds usually. Im eating a lot of meat, probably about 500g per day plus a couple of eggs and / or tin of tuna or mackerel. My weight has plateau-ed at 230lb (6'2") and I'm starting to feel a bit negative about it all.
                    I have a large amout of veg, raw or lightly stir fried, and usually have two pieces of fruit each day (orange, apple, pear, strawberry).

My questions

I read somewhere (PHD I think) that green beans and peas were ok and not treated like other legumes....that would be most welcome if true - any views?
                    Search for paleo recipes. Pasta-type dishes with spaghetti squash as an example. Lots of meals you can create that are not just plain meat and vegetable.

Comment

you're a big guy. are you sure you're over-eating? plenty of guys on here eat more protein than you do.

i'm a foot smaller and a hundred pounds lighter and i eat nearly that much.
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I suppose I need to do more exercise.....Im not happy with my stalling weight loss. I want to lose another 30lb or so. :-(

Comment

My questions

Green beans and peas are more like a vegetable. The beans especially are more pod than seed. There is a chemical transformation as the seed matures and dries for beans and peas that is bypassed when eaten young and fresh. Rice may be a good thing to add back. Wild rice as well.

Remember, paleo is a template not really a strict prescription. It's a lens through which to think about evolutionary novel foods. If it's evolutionarily novel, there is a higher burden of proof as to whether it is truly healthful or not. I believe that some grains and seeds pass the test but others, such as wheat and soy are not fit for human consumption. Certainly not fit to form the staple foods of one's diet. The epidemiology is in on those two substances, as well as on high O6 "vegetable" oils. On other foods you have to decide if they are worth the risk to you and whether you should make them staple foods or infrequent foods.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

While those foods are primal, they are also extremely calorically dense. A quarter cup of cashews for eg. is about 165 calories, and most people can eat way more than that and in a very short time.

Do you like things like hard boiled eggs? Cold chicken? Cold roast beef? Things like that can be made a couple of days in advance, and then they can be the things you grab when you're hungry. Also, "egg muffins," which are basically scrambled eggs with things like spinach or ham or whatever baked in a muffin tin, are make-ahead, can be frozen, and defrost quickly.

Better yet is to not snack at all, but to make sure that your 1-3 meals per day are fulfilling and will keep you from getting hungry. Also, some people find that leaving most of their carb consumption to the later part of the day both diminishes their hunger throughout the day, and helps improve their sleep.

White rice, potatoes (white and sweet), peas, fruit, etc., are all fine - unless your intake bumps you back to the CW mindset that we should be getting more than half of our calories from carbs/plants. Then it sets you up for the whole hunger-overeat cycle.

And lastly, make friends with your kitchen. Learn to enjoy experimenting with different seasonings, sauces, and combinations. Someone here posted that using what the average person eats, there are over 8000 combinations for stir-fry. Try new proteins. Canned fish pales once you start incorporating fresh seafood into your diet. Salmon, shrimp, clams, oysters, and squid just to name a very few. All very easy to prepare.

Good luck!
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

even with 8000 potential combinations i bore of stir-fry pretty quickly.
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                              X