No announcement yet.

What Happened to Paleobird

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think understanding what exactly the role of sugar is would be quite beneficial for the forum and the health community in general.

Sugar is neither good nor bad, its just fuel for high intensity activities. There is a reason keto works so great for ultra marathon runners and couch potatoes alike while failing with very active athletes and people with jobs that require harder work. Fat is way more effective when it comes to lasting low power energy while sugar should be used as targeted energysource for high intensity workouts and activities.

So both sides have their reasoning, and it would be quite nice when everyone would stop judging nutrition and health solely from their own perspective, it serves no one.

Comment

I guess the reason why I don't see her frustration is I identified early on who the nutjobs on this forum were. The guy who says sugar (the table sugar type) is good for you? He got put on my "hidden" list and I don't read his posts. There's a few others out there plus anyone who makes a habit of being rude. I'm here to benefit from other people's knowledge and experience, not to argue with a few loons.

I agree that the board was better off with Paleobird's presence, and wish she hadn't chosen to leave.
      High Weight: 225
      Weight at start of Primal: 189
      Current Weight: 174
      Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Nekron View Post
        So both sides have their reasoning...
        Humans don't get a say in how nature works, no matter how reasonable their reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
          That's what I'm talkin' bout.
          we don't agree on some things, but we agree on that
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

Ahaha.....I really didn't know the true craziness of Grizz until recently. I have been in medical wards, seeing people that are ACTUALLY, medically insane, and it was very much like talking to Grizz.

Just in case anyone is wondering, insanity is not "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result", ala Einstein's hyperbole. More medically, it is this: Someone is insane when they cannot tell the difference between their own thoughts and objective reality. In other words, the simple fact that THEY think something makes it empirically true, and is cutoff from being changed. I.E. I think I am an orange, so I will peel my own skin off when a lemon zester. When it starts to hurt, I will shutout the evidence that I am not in fact a piece of fruit, and keep on going.....and yes, there are a few I have had discussions with on here that this behavior fits with. Eating disorder, maybe not.....insane people, oh yes

Regarding paleobird and the discussions on here, there is indeed a whole lot of pointless biochem or macros discussion that I think only applies to 1% of the people that read it. "Here is the Krebs cycle" (that they are ripping off directly from a "guy with a website, Mark or otherwise), or "34% of daily cals should be carbs" advice....the first is pedantic and often incorrect, the second is for people that actually think putting all of your food on a scale (the only way you count macros, ever) is a strategy.

Both of those types of threads are pointless, and PB made a habit of writing in them only to get showered with #1 (pedantic half-understood biochem being pasted as actual opinion) or #2 (people talking about macros as if compliance, quality of life, and availability of the food were no issue)

So yeah, I get it, which is why I try not to post in them.....have fun with your Krebs Cycle, Randle Cycle, Unicycle discussions and explaining macro counts (an advanced technique only needed to get super ripped up, been there and done it) to people that are newbies....I will be out deadlifting something
            "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

I agree with Paleobird. I have been around for over three years. The board quality has gone way down. Many people here have read very little and post opinions based on their interpretation of paleo/primal. Got into a spat with a few "regular" know it all posters here and decided to stop posting. I think the board has gone downhill as early days folks were really interested and well read on ancestral diet/anthropology etc. They couldn't get enough good info on what they had discovered. Now, meh. I see many people who post here just trolling. Mark, you should have done something.
              Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
              READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                In retrospect Paleobird has been proven right. After she gave up and moved on, Mark wrote an articles saying "let's all just get along". The lead troll of the non-Primal group felt he had been vindicated, and announced that he had driven me, Paleobird, and a number of other members away and would continue to drive away everyone who did not actively support his agenda until there were none left. Next time I looked he had been banned. Since then things have calmed down greatly on the forums. Posts are down by about 2/5ths. 2/5ths of posts at that time were from 3 individuals out to control discussion on the forum.
                Actually, the intent of the blog entry you are referring to was to urge certain group of people, i.e. PaleoBird and co. to get over themselves. There are many different approaches to Primal, and obviously Sisson is fine with that.

I can't help but roll my eyes every time I read the word "newbies" on this forum, and how they are being *told* to eat gummy bears, table sugar and ....gasp...bunch of fruit. Firstly, that's grossly exaggerated and secondly, enough with the nanny crap already. People will eat (and do) whatever they want to, at their own free will.

Finally, I can't believe this topic is still floating around the board after all this time. Seriously, just pick and choose what and whom to read and heed, and simply ignore the rest.

Comment

Humans don't get a say in how nature works, no matter how reasonable their reasoning.
                  That's a fact. I think that mark contributed to the problem with his arbitrary carb curve and his "are you a fat burner" talk. Humans burn fat and sugar. Always. This kind of stuff, coupled with peoples' natural tendency to think that if some is good, then more is better had the bulk of this forum vlc eating for a while. And when peoples' bodies started giving out on them, the advice was to EAT MOAR FAT. I might not have agreed with the extreme sugar crazies and some of the more extreme ideas that may have been suggested, but I think their extreme ideas helped to inject a little more middle ground approach on this forum. And I think that's a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                    I can't help but roll my eyes every time I read the word "newbies" on this forum, and how they are being *told* to eat gummy bears, table sugar and ....gasp...bunch of fruit. Firstly, that's grossly exaggerated and secondly, enough with the nanny crap already. People will eat (and do) whatever they want to, at their own free will.
                    Plus, I mean ... "I ate these gummy bears because people on the internet told me to" is pretty lulzworthy.

1) Where is their brain? Do they have one of their own?
                    2) Does it work the same with, "I jumped off of that cliff because people on the internet told me to" ?
                    3) Can I use that to get out of working tomorrow? I'd love to stay home.

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                      Actually, the intent of the blog entry you are referring to was to urge certain group of people, i.e. PaleoBird and co. to get over themselves. There are many different approaches to Primal, and obviously Sisson is fine with that.
                      There may be many different approaches to Primal, but the forums had definitely taken a turn against anything but very high carb. I was told more than once that I should eat at least 300g of carbs a day. I guess if that didn't work for me, probably it would be because I hadn't chosen to be born a guy.

What's also "grossly exaggerated" is the claim that there are hundreds or thousands of people on the forum who drink multiple cups of bulletproof coffee, each with 4oz of coconut oil or butter in it each day, and that they're out to force everyone else to conform.

Finally, I can't believe this topic is still floating around the board after all this time. Seriously, just pick and choose what and whom to read and heed, and simply ignore the rest.
                      The reason why this topic is "still floating around" is because there are still people who preach that they have the ONE TRUE PATH. That has changed very little.

Comment

The assumption, that the natural state is the best possible situation is pretty much the most retarded thing in the whole paleo movement. (not surprisingly it usually comes with anti-vaccination tardlevels)

Comment

hmm. maybe I'll tell her it's been done now.

Comment

every body gotta have the last say,
                            right now, I have the last say.
                            no I don't,
                            yup I do,
                            efin insane.
                            I miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                              "Gone to crap" exactly how? Primal is not the same as it was 3 years ago. It has evolved. Mark has changed his stance considerably on many things he once preached. The simple fact is that ideas change and grow. The original iteration of paleo was extremely flawed. So was Primal. And you know what? It'll always be flawed, because it is a series of imperfect ideas drummed up by imperfect human beings. Primal is far from the perfect way to eat, but it is a great starting point for the individual to modify, as long as they are HONEST with themselves and open-minded. "Gone to crap" is another way of saying that better information has come along, discounting some core principles of Primal. For example, prepared beans are probably generally healthier than prepared nuts, refined fats, even butter and coconut oil, are very fattening and you can't eat whatever you want in whatever quantity as long as insulin remains low to avoid weight gain. These were core principles of the original iteration of Primal that drew people into this lifestyle. People have proven those principles wrong, and it tampers with people's idealistic beliefs and it upsets them.

If you come here for accurate information, this forum has become a better place over the years. If you come here looking for a safehaven for dogma, this place has "gone to crap," I suppose. Like anything, you have to dig through the dirt to find the gold, but there's a lot of gold to be found if you look hard enough and you're honest with yourself.
                              Agreed.

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              She got tired of people telling newbies, including obese diabetics, to eat gummie bears and table sugar and I think Grizz' return was the final straw. Many people cannot tolerate his woo-woo stuff and his obsession with iodine.
                              I may have missed all this drama, but this 'gummie bears' and 'eating pure sugar' seems to be pure strawmen to demonise some of the dissenting opinions here. I've never seen anybody advocated eating pure sugar on this forum.

Also for the couple of commentors talking proudly about ignoring people; well done on contributing to a culture of ignorance. Even if you disagree with somebody, their opinions are worth hearing unless they are deliberately malignant. I've disagreed with many people here but I've never met one that is worth totally silencing their opinion. Frankly it reeks of "LALALAL I CAN'T HEAR YOU!".
                              Last edited by AMonkey; 12-09-2013, 06:53 PM.
                              http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

i remember a few saying 'pound down the sugar and gummies', but i think they were being facetious
                                beautiful
                                yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                                lol

Comment

Working...
                                X