Twinlab Cod Liver Oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twinlab Cod Liver Oil

Is this a good product? It's pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Come on guys I need some opinions.

Comment

I've heard a lot of older people talk about having to take cod liver oil, so I'm sure it's good! Don't know about the particular brand. But, it also seems like salmon would be a better choice of oils, but I have nothing backing me up on that. Just my humble opinion, probably of no help whatsoever! lol.
      Now and then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Cod Liver Oil (CLO) in general. If you want the Omega 3's, just get purified fish oils that don't have a ton of Vitamin A and a bit of D. Screwing up your A : D ratio with CLO can be bad, especially since most people are deficient in D to begin with.

TwinLab in particular...can't really comment.

Comment

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BARO1C9RD3.DTL

Never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by hbeck View Post
            I'm not a fan of Cod Liver Oil (CLO) in general. If you want the Omega 3's, just get purified fish oils that don't have a ton of Vitamin A and a bit of D. Screwing up your A : D ratio with CLO can be bad, especially since most people are deficient in D to begin with.

Yeah I guess I will go for Carlson's fish oil... I am trying to find the purest thing I can, meaning no flavors and no gel capsules. I don't mind the shitty fish taste.

Comment

Carlson's or Nordic Naturals, then...although I'm not sure if NN has an unflavored liquid.

Comment

Originally posted by hbeck View Post

Don't do it.

☐ Do not take cod liver oil - it contains too much Vitamin A in ratio to D and most often
                too little DHA in ratio to EPA
                ☐ Take 1000 IU D3 per 25 lbs body weight per day on days that midday,
                summer, full body, unprotected sun exposure cannot be obtained
                ☐ At all latitudes, Vitamin D deficiency is a problem in our modern world
                unless getting midday, summer, unprotected, full body sun to the point just
                before a burn occurs.
                ☐ Vitamin D Dosing, Levels and Testing information
                http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...A0d3BjMw&hl=en
                ☐ Get plenty of vitamin K from animal products, fermented foods, vegetables
                ☐ Get sufficient preformed Vitamin A from food and supplements combined (250-300- not thousand - IU per day),
                or a monthly 10,000 IU dose of preformed A, or eat liver occasionally....monthly is fine.

There is a significant body of evidence correlating high A intakes and more frequent infections - probably because of it's magnifying effect on D insufficiency (though extreme A deficiency is also a cause of frequent infections).

Nature supplies us with more DHA than EPA in virtually all foods. Here's a list wrt wild fish:
                http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...tta2djag&hl=en

Consider supplementing with a product that has at least equal DHA:EPA.

Best,
                Katherine
                Last edited by cillakat; 05-13-2010, 03:13 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Thanks C!!

I won't buy it anymore.

Comment

Cod Liver Oil Basics and Recommendations
                    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

Waaaaaaaaaaah. Stupid scientists I want my cod liver oil. What about 2500IU every other day with my usual 5000IU vitamin d daily? I'm still likely vitamin d deficient but obviously getting better.
                      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/twinl...3_fish_oil.htm

What about this version?

Comment

That's fish oil, it's for omega 3 fatty acids. Cod liver oil has some omega 3 but it's used mainly for its vitamin a and d content. Fish oil doesn't have vitamins. Depends on what you want it for. If for omega 3 fats, go with the fish oil, if for vitamin a, it has to be cod liver. But it sounds like cod liver oil is dangerous if you take too much.
                          Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

OH, hah. I always thought Cod liver oil was just supposed to be "higher quality" fish oil, based on a better ratio and/or concentration. Didn't realize it came with vitamins. oops!

Comment

I'm going to have to get fish oil. I already eat plenty of liver so I have no need for the Vit. A in cod liver oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X