Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please tell me if I'm on to something here (milk)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please tell me if I'm on to something here (milk)

I'm sure the subject of milk has been covered extensively...I know Mark discussed it in detail. But I'm coming to this from the perspective of weeding out things that might have caused a couple of symptoms, and it's seeming to come down to milk...and also whey protein.

First of all, I'm very fit, healthy and male...5'10", 143 lbs...run, bike, all that stuff. But I've been a milk drinker for most of my life, even more so in the past year, when I ramped up some workouts and drank a Primal Fuel shake after, made with milk.

Symptoms: Nasal inflammation (both sinus and on the skin of the nose), and inconsistent bowel function (not to get graphic, but sometimes "irritable" movement of the bowel).

I've been reading a lot about milk and dairy, and the more I read, the more I'm gravitating toward the idea that milk is bad for me. And drinking protein shakes made with milk is exacerbating the problem.

So...I've decided to go a month without protein shakes, and limit...or eliminate...milk from my diet during that time. I'm on Day 2, and already I feel a bit less "inflamed", if that's possible. I'm excited about the possibility of a major improvement in the way I feel, and my health.

While I realize this subject is probably "old news" for many of you, I would still be seriously grateful for your input...am I on to something good with this idea of eliminating milk?

Thanks, all!

First eliminate for some time, then test with reintroduction. Then you will be more certain.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
      I'm sure the subject of milk has been covered extensively...I know Mark discussed it in detail. But I'm coming to this from the perspective of weeding out things that might have caused a couple of symptoms, and it's seeming to come down to milk...and also whey protein.

First of all, I'm very fit, healthy and male...5'10", 143 lbs...run, bike, all that stuff. But I've been a milk drinker for most of my life, even more so in the past year, when I ramped up some workouts and drank a Primal Fuel shake after, made with milk.

Symptoms: Nasal inflammation (both sinus and on the skin of the nose), and inconsistent bowel function (not to get graphic, but sometimes "irritable" movement of the bowel).

I've been reading a lot about milk and dairy, and the more I read, the more I'm gravitating toward the idea that milk is bad for me. And drinking protein shakes made with milk is exacerbating the problem.

So...I've decided to go a month without protein shakes, and limit...or eliminate...milk from my diet during that time. I'm on Day 2, and already I feel a bit less "inflamed", if that's possible. I'm excited about the possibility of a major improvement in the way I feel, and my health.

While I realize this subject is probably "old news" for many of you, I would still be seriously grateful for your input...am I on to something good with this idea of eliminating milk?

Thanks, all!

That is SO common. My son had tubes put in his ears and his adenoids removed when he was 3 - all for nothing. Turned out it was milk that was causing all his ear/nasal issues. Milk also makes him very hyper. I give him almond/coconut milk instead.

Comment

Nasal irritation is definitely a symptom of dairy intolerance. I use minimal dairy now and my nose never gets like that anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
          Nasal irritation is definitely a symptom of dairy intolerance. I use minimal dairy now and my nose never gets like that anymore.
          What process brought you to that conclusion? I spent a lot of time to get to this same place, but I'm curious how you arrived at it...thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
            What process brought you to that conclusion? I spent a lot of time to get to this same place, but I'm curious how you arrived at it...thanks!
            I read about it on a celiac forum. A lot of people with celiac are also dairy intolerant.

Comment

I used to get some reflux and coughing from pasteurized unfermented casein specifically. Since I figured that out I'm fine with yogurt, ricotta, butter, cream, and aged cheese but not liquid milk, mozzarella, or cottage cheese.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                I used to get some reflux and coughing from pasteurized unfermented casein specifically. Since I figured that out I'm fine with yogurt, ricotta, butter, cream, and aged cheese but not liquid milk, mozzarella, or cottage cheese.
                Those bother me, but also ricotta, which is generally made from whey and heated to boiling.

Comment

After self-experimentation I have learned that it depends on the dairy. General store pasteurized and homogenized milk is a big no-no, gives me gas, turns into a brick in my stomach and I don't poop for a week or more. Raw milk digests fine, but gives me minor red areas on my skin. Yogurt digests well and causes no overt signs of discord (except that I can't stop eating it lately, lol!). Aged cheeses are also fine, so I go for grass-fed sharp cheddar at Trader Joe's or similar. YMMV.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I had chronic rhinitis/runny nose for years and eliminating milk seemed to cure it. I couldn't make any judgement call on protein powder though.
                    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I get both of the symptoms that you mentioned from consuming dairy, and so do my children. After my daughter has weaned, I plan to experiment with raw dairy.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

I have very similar symptoms to you, mucous in the throat and sinus issues when I eat a lot of dairy. I've heard that some casein intolerance can be due to a leaky or damaged gut, so avoiding gluten for a few months may help.

I don't seem to have problems with occasional greek yogurt and hard cheeses, but if I try to do whey protein or cottage cheese on a daily basis I end up feeling like I have a sinus infection within about a week or two. It always goes away when I drop the dairy for a few days.

I'm going to drop all dairy and gluten for a month and then see if I can at least reintroduce cheese and yogurt. If no issues there I will try the higher casein content foods again and see how it goes. It would be a shame to have to avoid such a cheap source of quality protein.
                        __________________________________________________ _____________________________
                        Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
                        End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Comment

Originally posted by Eureka5280 View Post
                          I have very similar symptoms to you, mucous in the throat and sinus issues when I eat a lot of dairy. I've heard that some casein intolerance can be due to a leaky or damaged gut, so avoiding gluten for a few months may help.

I don't seem to have problems with occasional greek yogurt and hard cheeses, but if I try to do whey protein or cottage cheese on a daily basis I end up feeling like I have a sinus infection within about a week or two. It always goes away when I drop the dairy for a few days.

I'm going to drop all dairy and gluten for a month and then see if I can at least reintroduce cheese and yogurt. If no issues there I will try the higher casein content foods again and see how it goes. It would be a shame to have to avoid such a cheap source of quality protein.
                          I'm only giving up milk and whey protein powder. Continue to have plain low-fat yogurt (organic) and some cheeses, and butter. I believe strongly, from a lot of reading, that milk is the culprit, but my symptoms also coincide with regular use of Primal Fuel...mixed with milk. After 2 weeks of no milk or whey, I plan to try a whey shake with water instead of milk...see if any symptoms recur. I'm leaning heavily toward milk, however, being the culprit.

Comment

Good luck, please keep us posted on your progress!
                            __________________________________________________ _____________________________
                            Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
                            End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Comment

Originally posted by Eureka5280 View Post
                              Good luck, please keep us posted on your progress!
                              Will do. I also notice mild inflammatory effects from bread products...may also cut that out, but for now, starting with milk/whey.

Comment

Working...
                              X