Favorite Veggie Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Veggie Ideas

I think that sometimes I don't know what veggies to buy, cook, or eat, so I just give up and have meat alone. I know there are some Zero Carb people around here, but I'm not talking about doing that-- I want to know your favorite primal veggie recipes/meals! I think that veggies have lots of important things in them and I'm worried I'm giving myself heaps of deficiencies.. !

P.S. Not 'salad.' I eat lots of raw leaves.

-写
    Little Saiyan

I love Asparagus. I want to try it roasted, wrapped in bacon. nom nom nom nom nom

I also like Broccoli... it's really good stir-fried in bacon grease lol!

Comment

Try grilling oiled asparagus. It's awesome.
      I refuse to cook carrots unless it's in a stir fry.
      I love grilled/ sauteed peppers, onions, asparagus, and tomato.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

I was shocked to realize that I love zucchini- I slice it thinly with a mandoline (you could also use a carrot peeler) and use it as a noodle replacement. Jicama is another fave of mine- a little on the starchy side, but a ton of water and very refreshing with lime juice and chili or just plain. I also like to make a ton of roasted veggies- garlic, red onions, peppers, brussels sprouts, turnips, carrots- just toss them with veggies and seasoning and stick them in the oven, making sure to check every once in awhile. Cauliflower rice is super-easy too- lightly steam your cauli and then grate (food processor is great for this too. Pretty much any veg tastes great when sauteed with butter- I cook a lot of spinach (with garlic) and asparagus this way.
        With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Comment

All sounds great-- I do love veggies, the 'liking' part isn't the problem, its the 'doing!' I think my budget makes things hard. I LOVE asparagus. My favorite way is the really big giant organic asparagus, oiled and grilled, ON A STICK! it's so amazing. I love Brussels sprouts, too. I need to get a roasting pan and just do thte medley you're talking about. I've never had turnips... what are they like?
          Little Saiyan

Comment

I add mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions to my omelet. Other than that I'm with you OP. These suggestions look delicious!

Comment

Slice bacon into lardons (matchstick size bits) and cook. Remove bacon.

Add mushrooms and coat with fat. Once mostly cooked, add in asparagus broken into 2 inch peices, and canned or frozen artichoke hearts. Drizzle red wine vinegar and throw in minced garlic.

Plate, salt and pepper and chopped tarragon. Top with a soft poached egg. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
              The more I see the less I know for sure.
              -John Lennon

Comment

I've never had turnips... what are they like?
                It's a root vegetable, a member of cabbage family. Actually it's one of my favorite veggie dish, usually what I do with it is cut off the greens for steaming; cut off the stems to simmer for veggie broth; steam or sautee the turnips with potatoes for a yummy root veggie dish.
                Navy SEAL Workout
                Top Fat Loss Trainer
                Advanced Fat Loss

Comment

Broccoli is easy. Leave it as a bunch and upend it in some simmering water until it turns bright green and al dente. Pull it out, shake the water off, and cut the florets onto a plate. Add butter.

Parsnips and carrots are also dead easy. Peel them and stick them in the pan with whatever you're roasting (beef, chicken, etc)

Tomatoes thrown in a pan for a quick sear are delicious

Wilted spinach with bacon grease. Or sauteed spinach with cream and parmesan and a pinch of nutmeg

When i was a little kid my mother convinced us that frozen peas were a dessert. Freezy Peas - they're just like dippin' dots ice cream. . . . . My mother is twisted XD

Comment

If you are on a budget, frozen veggies or farmers market veggies tend to be a lot cheaper than straight up grocery store veggies

Comment

- saute lots and lots of onions and bell peppers with olives and greek seasoning
                      - saute asparagus and when almost done toss with fresh squeezed orange and sesame seeds
                      - I loooove turnips. fantastic in beef stew.
                      - eggplant cannelloni - cut the eggplant lengthwise and salt and leave for a few hours to remove the bitter juices. Saute or grill, then roll up each around some ricotta. Top with tomato sauce and cheese and bake until cheese bubbles.

These are just some of my latest veggie faves, I'm sure I'll think of more later!

Comment

I actually like just plain boiled carrots. Cut in large chunks and cook slowly so they're sweet. Nice cooked in with the meat, like an Irish stew.

I make spinach omelets - we can buy frozen spinach portions, some are about a tablespoon or so in size, some more like 1/4 cup. Defrost in the microwave and beat into an omelet.

A recipe I saw on TV here grated carrots in long strips and stir-fried them in butter as a pasta alternative for kids.

As a side (rather than the rice dish) I microwave a few florets of cauliflower and let a bit of cheese melt on it, with some grain mustard.

Comment

I love veggies so it's really hard to pick a favorite. Asparagus drizzled with olive oil and grilled or under the broiler until tender is always yum, quick and easy. We have a variety of greens several times a week, whether it's mustard greens, collards or kale we prepare it the same way:

Ingredients:
                          1lb or so of kale/mustard greens or collards, chopped into large pieces (I'm lazy and buy the bags of pre-cut...and that's how it comes from our CSA too)
                          1 onion, diced (small or large dice is fine...I prefer a larger, chunkier onion)
                          3-6 strips of bacon, cut into small strips
                          1-1.5 cups of chicken broth (more or less depending on how many greens you used)

-Get a large pot of unsalted water on to boil (this is to blanch the greens)
                          -in a large/deep-sided pan (I use an enamel coated dutch oven) over medium heat, cook 3-6 slices of bacon that have been cut into smaller strips (sometimes I even add a tsp or two of coconut oil)
                          -when the bacon is getting crispy, add diced onion
                          ....meanwhile....
                          -while the bacon and onion cook, your water should be boiling, add your greens and cook for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften.
                          -drain the greens well and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process
                          .....meanwhile....
                          -once your onion is starting to get translucent, add in your drained greens and 1 to 1.5 cups of chicken broth.
                          -Bring to boil, reduce heat to a hard simmer and cook until most of the liquid cooks down.
                          -season with salt/pepper to taste (I usually don't add anything)
                          -serve.

The recipe seems more complicated than it really is. I really prefer "one pot" recipes, but this is a 2-potter....totally worth it! I could eat this every night! After you make it a time or two, you get the timing of everything down pat and it's really easy. Basically, you can't mess this one up!

We also recently discovered roasted radishes...and interesting and different side dish. Just google it an you'll find tons of easy recipes. The basic one is just like any other veggie: salt/pepper/olive oil and roast in oven until tender.
                          Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

+1 for asparagus wrapped in bacon

and another +1 for broccoli stir fried in bacon grease. That has to be about the tastiest thing ever.
                            Last edited by Lovestoclimb; 05-13-2010, 05:11 AM.
                            I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Whipped parsnip, my new favorite, Awsome! Boil a pound of parsnip, add 1/4 cup cream. Whipp it. Garlic or butter as you wish.

Comment

Working...
                              X