No announcement yet.

Carbs versus Calories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: overfeeding, you can read about a Brit who forced down almost 6000 cal/day LCHF and tracked his weight & waist measurements for 21 days:
    Day 21 of The 21 Day 5,000 Calorie Challenge | Smash The Fat LIVE

You can also read what happened when he tried the same calorie surplus with high-carb processed foods:
    Day 21 Of The 21 Day 5,000 Calorie CARB Challenge | Smash The Fat LIVE

His third trial is an attempt at weight maintenance on LCHF:
    Day 21 Of The 21 Day FAKE FOOD REHAB Challenge | Smash The Fat LIVE

Supposedly he plans to try overfeeding with "safe starches" a la PHD next. Should be interesting.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

Originally posted by paint94979 View Post
      Just curious how did you get to 2900 calories? I try to get 2500+ a day and its tough.
      Just pour fat on everything, and drink bulletproof coffee too, and you'll be safe...
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by paint94979 View Post
        Just curious how did you get to 2900 calories? I try to get 2500+ a day and its tough.
        make 4 scottish eggs and eat 3 of them for breakfast and lunch! it will get you to 1500 calories. Than snack of dark chocolate and have a normal dinner. you'll reach the 2500 calories...
        My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Consuming large amounts of animal fats without raising insulin will result in diarrhea.
          Maybe for a few days, as an adaptation period. But today I could chug a half-bottle of melted tallow and it would just digest. No diarrhea.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
            I prefer to think of my overall caloric intake as a weekly total rather than a daily total. Like Rich said, one day of overeating will not make a huge difference, as you're likely to compensate by undereating a bit on other days. However, if you don't compensate and you overeat consistently, then yes, you will gain body fat.
            Exactly.
            I'm experiencing that cutting the carbs back makes me eat more (healthy) other things - too much indeed I think, because I gained a little . That's why for me the overall amount of calories seem to counts. Too much is just too much, doesn't matter of what.
            I'll switch back to watching the calories, not the macros. That makes it easier to me to get back to the weight before I raised the protein and especially the fat.
            Maybe metabolisms are different in using and storing the macros?! Fast, balanced or slow metabolism??
            Last edited by gergirl; 11-23-2013, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
              make 4 scottish eggs and eat 3 of them for breakfast and lunch! it will get you to 1500 calories. Than snack of dark chocolate and have a normal dinner. you'll reach the 2500 calories...
              I just had to look up scottish eggs.... AWESOME....I'm so making these (minus the breading, what do you use?). And yeah, I break 3000 calories with ease when I feel like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                I just had to look up scottish eggs.... AWESOME....I'm so making these (minus the breading, what do you use?). And yeah, I break 3000 calories with ease when I feel like it.
                I just use ground meat, mix it with a raw egg and herbs. You have to bake then for a few minutes to sear them before placing them in the over...
                If you want a crunchy layer you could use sesame seeds
                My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                  You should check Mark's recipe archives, I'm absolutely sure he had a recipe for them and I made it. I remember, it was good.
                  Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

My total calorie count yesterday was 2900 calories. My carb intake however was only 71grams with fat around 210grams and protein around the 175grams.
                    Excess calories are excess calories.

If that's well above your daily burn, then the excess will get packed on, no matter what the ratio of carbs or protein or fat.

Comment

Originally posted by cantare View Post
                      Re: overfeeding, you can read about a Brit who forced down almost 6000 cal/day LCHF and tracked his weight & waist measurements for 21 days:

You can also read what happened when he tried the same calorie surplus with high-carb processed foods:

Supposedly he plans to try overfeeding with "safe starches" a la PHD next. Should be interesting.
                      Interesting read. Thank you.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I think it's a crap shoot as to how your body responds. I'm eating VLC right now, and my body lost weight for the first couple weeks, then stopped. I noticed that I had calorie creep.... you know, more cream in the coffee, swapping ribeyes for lean sirloin etc. I'm not tracking, but I know I'm eating more than when the "diet" worked.

I would not long term expect a woman who is not an athlete to be able to consistently eat 2900 calories a day and lose weight. However, I don't think the occasional day of eating too much is going to pack on fat.

Now, I am very happy with my VLC diet at this point. Amazing skin and energy. And it keeps about 3lbs of water weight off me. (If I have a carb day, it's an immediate 3lb gain). For me, it's a good way to put a stop to my persistent "sugar creep" if I do 80/20 primal. But it's not an unlimited amount of food that can beaten and still results in loss.

YMMV, but I'd keep an eye on the calories and scale for a while so you can assess how it impacts you.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by cantare View Post

Very inter--

>2k+ calorie difference
                          >carb diet still very high in fat at over 140g with the difference in calories skewing the ratios
                          >carb diet has no fruit, insanely low nutrient density, and is entirely junk food
                          >senationalist bold claims

Holy confirmation bias, Batman!
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

What calorie difference are you referring to? What unwarranted claim is being made here?
                            Last edited by cantare; 11-24-2013, 09:55 AM.
                            6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
                            ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

Originally posted by Issabeau View Post
                              Consuming large amounts of animal fats without raising insulin will result in diarrhea.
                              Insulin is the hormone that will open the doors to cells to store nutrients.
                              everything we eat causes an insulin rise. some foods just cause it to be higher.
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Having eating low carb but high calorie, will I be able to count this day in as a weightloss day? will I loose weight based on the low carbs alone, or will my body store the excess fat?
                                Are an excess of calories of influence if it's only for one day? and what will the effect of such a high fat day be on my body (I normally eat average 125 grams of fat.)
                                weight loss happens on a continuum. some days may be hungry days and others you won't feel like eating anything much at all. as long as overall your pounds and inches go down, you're on the right path. don't obsess about everyday or each morsel. that's hella stoopid. just make sure most days you're where you want to be with your food choices.
                                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                                X