SO MUCH ENERGY from eating LIVER!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO MUCH ENERGY from eating LIVER!

I don't really love beef liver (chicken liver I grew up eating a lot... But I am avoiding all things chicken/pork). I still eat grassfed beef liver about once every 2 weeks.

I think liver is magical. I attribute my A+ final to liver. Lol. I strategically scarfed down a piece of liver and avoided PUFA like the plague during finals reading period.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 01-16-2014, 06:09 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Yup magical is the word

I don't have any special prep for mine. What I did last night though after a heavy lift day:

12 oz of liver lightly sauteed (30-60 seconds per side) in butter with salt and pepper. Take it out and put aside.

1 very large onion cooked in like 3-4 tablespoons of butter with lots of garlic, salt, pepper and tumeric.

Put whole mess over liver and scarf down in record time.

Comment

• Haven't had liver in a while since I can't find a good substitute for onions (and I try to stay away from onions due to terrible fodmap issues :/).
        So basically I'm stuck with liver sauteed in some red wine. Is there any way to make it more interesting without the onions?
        What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

• Originally posted by Nillos View Post
          Haven't had liver in a while since I can't find a good substitute for onions (and I try to stay away from onions due to terrible fodmap issues :/).
          So basically I'm stuck with liver sauteed in some red wine. Is there any way to make it more interesting without the onions?
          Pate. Or you could mix puréed liver into ground beef.
          ------
          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
            Or you could mix puréed liver into ground beef.
            Oh I've tried that twice and people complained about the taste even though it was only 1:5 liver:ground meat. Might try it again but with the smallest piece of liver I can get around here being at 150g that might be a bit too much on the livery side even for me if I only make 1 portion.
            What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

• I eat cows - followed you liver cooking tip and I survived! Lol

Still need to get used to the taste but it wasn't as bad as feared and certainly felt
              Energetic

Ill update people as I experiment more because I recommend other non-liver-lovers to try it :-)
              UK PBer

Comment

• Try liver fajita bowls. Fry up the onions and red/yellow bell peppers, add the liver in long strips and some chiles in adobo sauce or chipotle chili salsa and fresh lime juice. Serve in a bowl with taco fixings of your choice.

For the past few weeks or so I've been walking around craving something. I didn't know what. I'd go up and down the aisles of the store and nothing looked good. I'd try chocolate but it wasn't hitting the spot. Ate some seeds and nuts, nope. Ate the biggest pile of carrots, nada. Nothing was right and no matter what I ate I was still looking for something else. I finally had some liver and it was like oh, yeah, that's what I was needing.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nillos View Post
                  Haven't had liver in a while since I can't find a good substitute for onions (and I try to stay away from onions due to terrible fodmap issues :/).
                  Bacon makes everything better :-)

Comment

• I actually do not like liver, however, my mother - ADORES IT - and I swear, the second she eats liver, she is running a marathon, lol!

Comment

• Originally posted by GiGiEats View Post
                      I actually do not like liver, however, my mother - ADORES IT - and I swear, the second she eats liver, she is running a marathon, lol!
                      I really don't like liver either but following some tips on this thread I stomached it and the effects are worth the test!!! Give it a go! :-)
                      UK PBer

Comment

• I have despised liver since childhood but tempted to try (given your hype)and incorporate into another dish.. Love the chilli idea!

Comment

• I cannot find grass fed liver locally... Is it better to avoid liver or eat conventional grain-fed liver? And I'd be interested in the nutrional difference between chicken and beef liver--is one better than the other?

Comment

• Originally posted by grae_bird View Post
                            I cannot find grass fed liver locally... Is it better to avoid liver or eat conventional grain-fed liver? And I'd be interested in the nutrional difference between chicken and beef liver--is one better than the other?
                            +1 for this as I'd like to know as well
                            UK PBer

Comment

• spursberry,
                              The responses I received and the research I have done indicates that it is better to eat conventional liver than none at all due to:
                              1) It is only suggested one eats it once or twice a week, so the build up of omega 6s shouldn't be bad (grain fed does have more omega 6 than omega 3)
                              2) liver has 10-100 times the nutritional value of muscle meats, so it is better to include it than not at all.
                              3) I had assumed toxins were stored in the liver since it was involved in the detoxification process, but the liver actually neutralizes the toxins, so that is not a concern from conventional beef.

As far as the beef versus chicken, someone pointed me to nutritiondata.self.com and one can search and compare the nutritional information. It appears that beef is higher in copper and vitamin A and most nutrients and minerals.

Comment

• Grae Bird - wonderful! Thats so helpful and interesting! Thank you very much
                                UK PBer

Comment

Working...
                                X