Stopped LG, Gained Weight, HOWEVER...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopped LG, Gained Weight, HOWEVER...

So I decided after a good long while (~1 yr) that Lean Gains wasn't for me. After stopping the LG protocol in September I gained a bit of weight back, 10-13 pounds. I still lift and have added more LISS into my routine, however I don't bother with the pounds of protein everyday and eat in a less structured, albeit Primal/Paleo manner. Despite the gain, here's where I am:
    • Clothes still fit the same.
    • Wife/Friends/Coworkers say they don't notice any weight gain (and we all hold each other accountable...they'd be honest with me).
    • Making strength gains. Doing SL 5x5 and upped squat over 80 pounds since August, all other lifts increasing as well, although may be hitting ceiling with overhead press.

I was drinking quite a bit prior to November so my wife and I did a Whole 30 to get back on track. We were strictly adherent, however we are closing in on day 30 and I did not lose one pound. Anyone else have this experience? I am thinking of take a week off of Whole 30 for Thanksgiving then going at it again. Perhaps the combination of quitting leangains and drinking meant my body needed more time than 30 days to click back in?

Weight can fluctuate a lot due to water even if you don't gain or lose fat. I personally have found it easy to gain or lose 10 lbs in water weight quickly. So for that reason, it should be clear how easy it is to get fooled.

Having that said, if losing fat weight is your goal, the only thing that will affect that is your calories regardless of what you eat. You might pick and chose different foods due to health reasons. And you might prefer certain foods over others because they are more satisfying and make it easier and more comfortable to consume calories, and I actually do recommend that. However, the answer will still be the same.

For that reason, it serves no point to sit there and wonder what you are doing wrong. It isn't about hormones, beer, changing diets, macros, fasting, or anything like that. It's about calories.

Get that through your head and everything should be smooth riding from there on. When figuring out how to set up your diet, you won't be worrying about macros or fish oil or anything like that. Instead, the question you need to ask yourself is what eating plan makes it the most easy and comfortable to decrease calories for a while.

A lot of people have argued over the years that it is about hormones. But such isn't a proper representation of reality. Hormones are affected by calories. And so is fat. When you cut calories, hormones are affected to do what's required to get their job done. That's just the way it is. You could change your macros to any combination you can think of, but at the end of the day, the fat isn't going to come off without the decrease in calories.

As a side note, that's the one thing I didn't like about leangains. Martin is putting the magic in the method. He is a good writer and doesn't lie as far as I know, but he makes it seem like all the finer details are more important than they really are. In reality it isn't that complicated. Cut the calories and the fat will come off. Other than that, I do admit. He actually does have a lot of very good literature that was helpful to me.

Just to give one more example, since IF was popularized, many were believing there was magic in the method, meaning fasting makes you lose fat because of GH. Well, it's true that more GH is secreted by fasting. But the reality is that you end up losing the weight because IF makes it easier to reduce calories. GH secretion is just what is required in order to complete the process of burning fat.

When you realize that, metaphorically speaking, blaming fat loss on hormones is just like saying that a chicken lays an egg because it strains as the egg is coming out. Obviously that's not the real reason. It's just that the chicken also has to strain (perhaps) in order to complete the process of laying the egg.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripped View Post
      Weight can fluctuate a lot due to water even if you don't gain or lose fat. I personally have found it easy to gain or lose 10 lbs in water weight quickly. So for that reason, it should be clear how easy it is to get fooled.
      Yeah, it's easy to get fooled into thinking you can squat 80 more pounds. Tricky maths.

Having that said, if losing fat weight is your goal, the only thing that will affect that is your calories regardless of what you eat.
      This is a complete falsehood. Support this claim. Support the claim that the makeup of a diet doesn't affect fuel partitioning.

You might pick and chose different foods due to health reasons. And you might prefer certain foods over others because they are more satisfying and make it easier and more comfortable to consume calories, and I actually do recommend that. However, the answer will still be the same.
      You can say that weight gained or lost must adhere to CICO (although they're dependent variables, blah deadhorse blah blah), but there's no way you can support the claim that fat gain/loss vs. muscle gain/loss are not affected by macronutrient composition. Even Chocotaco, head CICO advocate, will call you out on this if he reads your blatantly wrong post.

For that reason, it serves no point to sit there and wonder what you are doing wrong. It isn't about hormones, beer, changing diets, macros, fasting, or anything like that. It's about calories.
      So you can keep 100% of your muscle mass without eating a single gram of protein now? Fat isn't useful for purposes of recovery?

Get that through your head and everything should be smooth riding from there on. When figuring out how to set up your diet, you won't be worrying about macros or fish oil or anything like that. Instead, the question you need to ask yourself is what eating plan makes it the most easy and comfortable to decrease calories for a while.
      And you don't think the composition of ones diet affects his energy levels, strength levels, etc? Straight up undereating is the solution for everyone?

A lot of people have argued over the years that it is about hormones. But such isn't a proper representation of reality. Hormones are affected by calories. And so is fat. When you cut calories, hormones are affected to do what's required to get their job done. That's just the way it is. You could change your macros to any combination you can think of, but at the end of the day, the fat isn't going to come off without the decrease in calories.
      This guy would disagree. Actually, nearly everyone here would disagree. You've followed an argument past its logical conclusion and out into the woods.

As a side note, that's the one thing I didn't like about leangains. Martin is putting the magic in the method. He is a good writer and doesn't lie as far as I know, but he makes it seem like all the finer details are more important than they really are. In reality it isn't that complicated. Cut the calories and the fat will come off. Other than that, I do admit. He actually does have a lot of very good literature that was helpful to me.

Just to give one more example, since IF was popularized, many were believing there was magic in the method, meaning fasting makes you lose fat because of GH. Well, it's true that more GH is secreted by fasting. But the reality is that you end up losing the weight because IF makes it easier to reduce calories. GH secretion is just what is required in order to complete the process of burning fat.

When you realize that, metaphorically speaking, blaming fat loss on hormones is just like saying that a chicken lays an egg because it strains as the egg is coming out. Obviously that's not the real reason. It's just that the chicken also has to strain (perhaps) in order to complete the process of laying the egg.
      Someone here certainly has their eggs mixed up with their chickens, but I don't think it's the people who claim that hormone status is a driver of satiety and appetite normalcy.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Maybe citing Mark Sisson himself will put an end to your spouting of nonsense claims on his boards?

How to Gain Weight and Build Muscle | Mark's Daily Apple

Originally posted by Mark Sisson
        No one would ever call the Primal Blueprint a protein-sparing plan, but you’re going to have to eat even more than before. Stuff yourself. I always say that body composition is 80% diet, and that goes for putting on mass as well as losing fat. You need to provide plenty of protein for all those hormones to synthesize, after all.

Never let your protein intake go lower than 1g/lb of body weight when you are aiming to add long-term muscle. It’s the building block of muscle, and your body is going to be starving for it.
        Eat plenty of saturated and monounsaturated fat. Fat blunts insulin secretion while increasing testosterone production. Insulin may be useful for stuffing your muscles full of glycogen, but that’s not what you’re going for… right?
        Dietary fat, in conjunction with all the GH you’ll be producing, also spares muscle wasting.
        You may have heard of the popular GOMAD method – Gallon of Milk a Day for easy mass-building. It undoubtedly works, but a gallon of milk isn’t exactly Primal and I can’t recommend it. Instead of milk, why not a dozen eggs a day? ADEAD? If you can manage it, eating them on top of your regularly scheduled meals is a great source of affordable protein, fat, and vitamins (Vitamin A in particular may have pro-anabolic effects).
        Eat often. If you’re going for pure size and strength, fasted workouts and skipped PWO meals may not be the ticket. You’ll burn more fat with the extra GH secretion and existing muscle will be spared, but you may be missing the chance at prime protein synthesis when you fast. A PWO meal of protein and fat will still blunt the insulin secretion and provide fuel for your muscles.
        Increase caloric intake. You’re going to be expending so much energy on the lifts (and you’ll continue to burn through it even on rest days) while eating clean, Primal foods (and keeping insulin low as ever) that fat accumulation shouldn’t be an issue at all. Eat!
        On those days when you do expend a ton of energy – maybe on your metcon or sprint day – having a Primal-friendly starch, like squash or sweet potato, is a decent way to replenish depleted glycogen stores.
        Eat a big piece of fatty meat every single day. Steak, whole chicken, lamb leg, organs, whatever. Just eat a solid piece of animal flesh for a powerful protein infusion on a daily basis.
        A hardgainer is often someone who doesn’t eat enough. Sure, genes play a role, but you can ultimately have a significant say in how those genes rebuild you. To a point. Eat more and lift harder to grab the reins.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Rich,
          I'm terrible sorry. I apologize for sharing information that was useful for me in making this wonderful transformation.

before.jpgafter.jpg

I know it's just nonsense, that probably just happened on accident, and that there's no way it could possibly work for anyone else.

Since you're telling me that everything that I've done that's kept me lean for years now is actually nonsense, I just don't know what I'll do. It's probably only time before it backfires on me and makes me look like this.

Man, I think I better start eating 300 grams of protein per day and drinking a gallon of coconut oil per day so that I don't get fat. I think I better give up all carbs completely too including lettuce, because it makes you into a diabetic.

Comment

Rich,
            I'm terrible sorry. I apologize for sharing information that was useful for me in making this wonderful transformation.

[ATTACH]14625[/ATTACH][ATTACH]14626[/ATTACH]

I know it's just nonsense, that probably just happened on accident, and that there's no way it could possibly work for anyone else.

Since you're telling me that everything that I've done that's kept me lean for years now is actually nonsense, I just don't know what I'll do. It's probably only time before it backfires on me and makes me look like this.

[ATTACH]14627[/ATTACH]

Man, I think I better start eating 300 grams of protein per day and drinking a gallon of coconut oil per day so that I don't get fat. I think I better give up all carbs completely too including lettuce, because it makes you into a diabetic.
            Can't see the pictures yet, but I'll assume they're scarecrows to go with your other strawmen?
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
            X