Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is heavy cream 'better' than half and half?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why is heavy cream 'better' than half and half?

Why is this? based on nutrition I checked, full has more carbs? not much, but still more.

I think that it's because Heavy Whipping Cream is lower in carbs than Half and Half?

Comment

Also, half-and-half is probably made with homogenized milk, which alters the fat in a bad way. We've drunk only unhomogenized milk for a while, but this isn't generally a problem with whole cream.

Half-and-half is milk mixed with cream -- milk has more carbs than cream because the cream is a higher percentage fat (like an order of magnitude more fat). So if 4% of your milk is fat and 40% of your cream is fat, your cream has less room left over for things like protein and sugars in a given volume. Since half-and-half is cream cut with milk, it's also got more sugars.

Comment

Plus, I think heavy whipping cream just tastes better sometimes I will drink it straight, I love the looks of disgust I get from my over weight housemates

Comment

Also, some of the stuff they label as "half and half" in the stores has WAY too many ingredients... with heavy cream you know where you stand!

Comment

Although you still have to look. I went to the store the other day and got NO cream because not one of them was just Cream! All of them had "less than 2% of.... carageenen and a couple of other things" . I put it back.
            sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

The worst thing I've seen lately is FAT-FREE half n' half!!! I mean doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose! You're right though about it being hard to find just plain cream without additives and thickeners.
              Carpe Diem!

Comment

OK makes sense now. Thanks!

Comment

Cream does have less carbs than half and half (not enough to worry about unless you are VLC). I am so lucky i get grass fed raw milk and raw cream every other week from a local farmer. Raw milk runs $5 a gallon and the cream is $10 for half gallon - so worth it. The cream is like liquid ice cream. I love it over a 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries couple of time a week.

Comment

I had local strawberries with whipped local cream for breakfast this morning. Delicious. I also will drink cream straight from the bottle -- local, pastured cream just tastes so sweet.

Comment

The taste is much better, try half and half over berries and then compare it to Heavy cream over berries. Half and half is like water :-)
                      Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

Also, at least around me, it's relatively easy to find grass fed heavy cream, as Whole Foods carries it. I've never understood people who put lower fat milks into their coffee- isn't the purpose to make it creamy? Otherwise, why not just add water? I don't get it.

Comment

mmmm......cream, so so good.

So glad I found you guys.

Comment

where does the light cream figure into the equation? It has a bit less fat, still no sugar and costs a whole lot less than heavy cream. Trying to decide which one I should get used to.
                            Female, 53 y.o. 195 lbs 2/15, 148 lbs 02/16. Goal wt < 140 lbs.
                            Journal link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread115661.html
                            http://paleotrack.com/j/GtjBV4YJ

Comment

light cream is essentially half half isn't it?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Working...
                              X