Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lyle McDonald - Is he on the right track(s)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im going to take a final... I'll explain later. I think you might of taken it the wrong way though.

What I simply mean is calorie in/out matters. The way conventional wisdom preaches it? NO. But the influence that going low carb has on calorie in/out, influences what kind of weight you gain or lose. Do you understand what I mean by that?

If I drop 500 cals in general, Im probably going to lose good amount of muscle. If I drop 500 calories of carbs, Im probably going to burn more fat because of the increased beta receptor activation of going low carb.

Im not outlawing PB, I am saying a new calorie in/out model is in order. One that includes hormonal influence, system influence, and a couple other factors.

Make sense?
    sigpic
    In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

To add to that, we can't forget that most people follow the calories in/out on a an altered scale. If you read Lyle's books, you can see in the Ultimate Diet 2.0 how we can manipulate that for body recomposition.

And, don't forget the health benefits that come because of going low carb. It's not all about fat loss ect... for some people.
      sigpic
      In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Although I'm admittedly a newbie what EGY says makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not interested in losing a lot of weight or in building a ton of muscle, I just want to get a little stronger, promote my general health and increase longevity. It seems like a lot of the arguments between the nutrition experts like Mrs. McDonald and Aragon and the PB enthusiasts results from the classic rhetorical tactic of setting up straw men just for the sake of burning them down. I don't think most PBers, when pressed, would really say that caloric intake is irrelevant to body composition. Similarly, most non-PB nutritionists admit that reducing the intake of processed carbs can curb appetite and make it easier to retstrict cals. I'm more interested in the disagreements about saturated fat since, if PB is wrong about this one, we will, as Mr. McDonald says, pay the price down the road. I'm hoping this becomes an area of focus for main stream researchers in the coming years.

Comment

I think polyunsaturated fats are pretty much complete crap. That's not saying omega 3's are crap, just that most poly in our food is contaminated and omega 3 supps are in order. Monounsaturated are good. Saturated are better in my opinion. I especially like the MCTs from Coconut oil. This is all opinion, but from what I've seen, eliminating saturated fat and cholesterol has serious consequences because of their roles in the body. The others not so much.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm actually considering doing Lyle McDonald's Rapid fatloss handbook. The only thing I'm hesitant about is the structured refeed. It is the same as in the Ultimate Diet 2.0 however having read all the negative effects of grains from the PB I keep thinking about how eating all thos carbs may affect me. Any thoughts EGY?

Comment

Originally posted by primer View Post
              I'm actually considering doing Lyle McDonald's Rapid fatloss handbook. The only thing I'm hesitant about is the structured refeed. It is the same as in the Ultimate Diet 2.0 however having read all the negative effects of grains from the PB I keep thinking about how eating all thos carbs may affect me. Any thoughts EGY?
              The structured refeeds in McDonald's books revolve around eating enough protein to prevent catabolism and as little fat as possible, with the rest of the calories coming from carbohydrates. You can easily do a refeed eating potatoes, and the CHO shouldn't be a problem as those calories go straight into glycogen synthesis/supercompensation.

Comment

It will only be for a short period of time. You can eat white rice to avoid gluten and antinutrients, and of course sweet potatoes. That's what I do, I eat a huge pan of it.

However I'm not doing high protein low fat low carbs.. I'm doing high fat, low protein, zero carbs because the former has not worked for me.
                .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Well according to the description the refeed takes place over three days. The following numbers are according to calculations in terms of my own weight (170 pounds). First day: 900 grams of carbs, Second day: 450 grams, Third day: 225 grams. As you can see that is a huge amount of carbs. The first day alone is 6 times the PB advised maximum.

Comment

I like Lyle's methods. A lot. First off, he completely warns everyone of the negatives, and says the plan may cause them! What author has the audacity to do that. Then he backs up why he's writing the book, gives the method, and backs it up with like 500 references.

Now they are extreme, there's no argument there. So if YOU choose that's your desire, understand the potential consequences, then yeah I think they are very good plans.

You can do re-feeds gluten/lactose free if you want, that's actually what I recommend. It's relatively easy.

Just keep in mind that this isn't meant to be done for long periods of time nor is it for those who could lose bf easier on a less extreme method.

I hope it's not scaring you, Im just trying to explain that his methods are not for everyone, which he mentions, and it all depends on your desires.

In the least, buying his books will give you a plethora of great information that you can apply in tidbits.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well according to the description the refeed takes place over three days. The following numbers are according to calculations in terms of my own weight (170 pounds). First day: 900 grams of carbs, Second day: 450 grams, Third day: 225 grams. As you can see that is a huge amount of carbs. The first day alone is 6 times the PB advised maximum.
                      No, check out the ebook I posted on the previous page. That refeed is for those who are finished with the diet I believe. The other type of refeed is only 5 hours once a week, but I don't think he specified an amount - I only skimmed through the book. I'm going to aim for 500+ grams this Sunday, I hope that's plenty to restore leptin. What do you think EGY?

Comment

To raise leptin, 50 grams every 2 hours for 12 hours or so and I believe (a little rusty) 3-4 grams of carbohydrate per a pound is a great method... so depending on how much you weigh, 500 could be right on.

I just recommend no workouts during; do it before, or a few hours after the re-feed is complete. And make sure you're getting your sleep in! Sleep is necessary for leptin normalization.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                          No, check out the ebook I posted on the previous page. That refeed is for those who are finished with the diet I believe. The other type of refeed is only 5 hours once a week, but I don't think he specified an amount - I only skimmed through the book. I'm going to aim for 500+ grams this Sunday, I hope that's plenty to restore leptin. What do you think EGY?
                          I have read the book. This is what he says to do. Since I am in category 1 the diet phase will only last 10-11 days, requiring a full refeed once completed.

Comment

I have read the book. This is what he says to do. Since I am in category 1 the diet phase will only last 10-11 days, requiring a full refeed once completed.
                            Ohh I see, I believe I am category 2. I have 5-10 pounds to lose.

Comment

Working...
                            X