Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blood test results... too low cholesterol & free T? too high TSH?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood test results... too low cholesterol & free T? too high TSH?

Hello,
    I've been a Paleo diet guy the last 5-6 years who was strict about it roughly 80% of the time. In the last 2 months I discovered the Bulletproof diet and have been following it pretty closely about 95% of the time. I just did some blood work to see where I stood. Here are some of my results

I'm 31 years old, 6'0 and 175 lbs

Total Cholesterol: 126
    LDL: 59
    HDL: 62
    Triglycerides: 23
    Lp(a): <10
    Apo B: 43
    hs-CRP: 0.2
    Glucose: 76
    HbA1c: 5.4

Estradiol: 37.4
    Free Testosterone: 8.1
    Total Testosterone: 748

TSH: 2.77
    T3: 88
    Free T3: 2.5
    T-uptake 33%
    Total T4: 6.8
    Free T4: 1.15
    Free Thyroxine Index: 2.2

25-Hydroxy Vit D: 41

Even though everything is in the "normal" range, I'm a little concerned at a few things. First, I think my total cholesterol is almost too low (back when I was "healthy" eating whole grains, my cholesterol was actually on the high end). Also, I think my Vit D levels and Free testosterone levels are too low as well. Finally, I think my TSH level is a bit too high.

Right now I plan on taking Brazil nuts for the selenium and switch from sea salt to iodinized salt. Maybe take a supplement of each as well. I'm hoping this will help with the TSH levels and maybe the testosterone levels as well. I'm also upping my VitD3 another 3,000IUs a day. Any ideas on how to increase my cholesterol levels? I'd like to get it up to around 200. Thanks for the help guys!

I wouldn't worry. Your labs are great. I see lab results all day every day and yours are good. Were these routine labs that your doctor ordered? Or did you choose them? I just found it odd that you did an A1C with a normal blood sugar level, unless you have had a history of diabetes or previous high fbs results. And thyroid levels, in my personal experience, tend to fluctuate quite a bit. I have seen TSH levels waaaaaaaay higher, then on retest have been normal. Vitamin D... I need to get mine checked, thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. No I just ordered them myself. Did a Wellness FX package and it contained the A1C test.

I'm just a little concerned because I know people with low cholesterol levels have a higher mortality rate. I'm young, but I do have a family history of cancer (although I also have a family history of high cholesterol - weird). And I would also like to increase my free testosterone and maybe decrease estradiol as well, and think the low cholesterol is involved in this.

Comment

Low cholesterol can be a risk for certain conditions, although doctors are generally blissfully unaware of this fact, preferring to think that it's a matter of "the lower the better". But I'm not sure whether there is any real way to increase it, or whether it is simply a marker anyway. In any case, that is only one reading. Cholesterol readings do fluctuate a lot from hour to hour or day to day.

The lowest mine ever read was 112 some years back. I think that was the time someone in the waiting room lectured me that I should not eat liver because it was high in cholesterol, after overhearing me talk food with another patient. When my daughter was in college and going through her emaciated vegan stage, she tested in the double digits. We got it from my father. I'm a little concerned, but I doubt there is anything I could do. And he did live to 90.

Comment

Yeah, at this point I wish it were true that eating saturated fats and cholesterol increased your cholesterol levels!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Remy View Post
            Thanks for the reply. No I just ordered them myself. Did a Wellness FX package and it contained the A1C test.

I'm just a little concerned because I know people with low cholesterol levels have a higher mortality rate. I'm young, but I do have a family history of cancer (although I also have a family history of high cholesterol - weird). And I would also like to increase my free testosterone and maybe decrease estradiol as well, and think the low cholesterol is involved in this.
            No problem!

Comment

Haha, I wasn't done with that. I am honestly not sure about how to change these numbers. I just try to eat good food. I eat a lot of fat, fatty meats, coconut oil in everything, etc... My cholesterol is normal, but on the high end. I did not know that low cholesterol was related to cancer or any other diseases. But I will research that, I find it interesting. Luckily, I guess, both sides of my family have a history of high cholesterol, and no known cases of cancer as far back as we can remember... I never thought they could be related. I am not a healthcare professional or anything. I don't interpret the tests, just work in a med records dept, but you pick up a lot of info after a while I'd be curious to know what else you find out!

Comment

My diet is about 60% fats. I eat a lot of coconut oil and eggs but might up those a bit. I had eliminated butter for awhile but I'm thinking I'll add those back in. Thanks for the help.

Comment

My diet is about 60% fats. I eat a lot of coconut oil and eggs but might up those a bit. I had eliminated butter for awhile but I'm thinking I'll add those back in. Thanks for the help.

Well I sincerely doubt I was any help, but thank you for giving me and interesting topic to research.

Comment

HEALTHY DIETS AND SCIENCE

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                      Nice website! Thanks for the link!

Comment

I just got some bloodwork back and my TSH was 13, but I don't have any symptoms of hypothyroidism. Did you read where Brazil nuts help to improve thyroid function?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by thomasbihn View Post
                          I just got some bloodwork back and my TSH was 13, but I don't have any symptoms of hypothyroidism. Did you read where Brazil nuts help to improve thyroid function?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                          Yes because Brazil nuts have selenium. I think I'm going to take a bit of iodide as well. What did your doctor say?

Comment

Nothing yet. I had my bloodwork done late last week and viewed the results online. I have scheduled to get an nmr lipoprofile and C-RP done this week and once I get the results back, I plan to schedule a meeting with the doctor. I just saw the results on Thursday, but was on customer site so couldn't break away to schedule anything.

I do plan to call the office and ask if they can spare me the copay of going in and having the doctor simply say "we need to schedule this and that test" by asking them if he can go ahead and schedule based on the high TSH if he feels it is necessary.

After reading where TSH levels have been much higher and given I have more clarity of thought since cutting out refined carbs and starchy tubers while increasing my intake of vegetables in February, I have to wonder if I would've had my TSH levels measured at the beginning if they would have been much higher. My suspicion is that I've probably had this for much longer than since increasing my fat intake.

The only thing I have that could be considered a symptom is the weight loss, but that has correlated well with my change in lifestyle. I lost about 10 lbs a month for the first several months and as I get closer to the normal BMI (I just entered that this last week), my rate of weight loss has come down to about a half to one pound per week.

Has anyone found that decreasing carb intake to where you slip into nutritional ketosis can result in thyroid malfunction? There is a blog post on Chris Kresser's blog where he mentions it, but doesn't go into great detail.

For now, I'm going to start using a little more iodized salt than I have (I have slightly elevated systolic blood pressure so have been limiting salt intake), start eating a handful of brazil nuts every day, and eating a few more higher carb fruits just in case. I don't need to be in ketosis and actually prefer not to be (due to the additional BO I seem to get from it).

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Comment

I have read a few things about how carbohydrate intake is tied to thyroid but I also can't recall specific details. I thought about maybe trying something like the anabolic diet with some higher carb refill days.

As for your tests, I'm sure he'll want a full thyroid panel but other than that I wouldn't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X