Lack of protein drives overeating.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
    I remember the Leptin reset thread. If the whole Leptin reset thing had just stopped with high protein breakfast + get to bed at a reasonable hour that would have given people 99% of the benefit. But it had to go get all crazy confusing beyond that. A high protein largish breakfast really helps me out a lot, as does going to bed early enough to support my early-morning lifestyle. And by "helps me out" I don't mean "miraculous weight loss". I mean I feel healthy, happy, vital and focused and not hungry, crabby and watching the clock for my next meal.
    Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Oh, no no no. You had to whisper the secret incantations too while exercising at 4:36 pm each day.
    LOL! WiccanLeptin Reset.

I tried, but it was very difficult for me to eat 50 grams of protein first thing in the morning without resorting to whey shakes. I recently realized that a pound of 2% cottage cheese has 56 grams of protein (for a mere 360 calories) and I love the stuff. The thing is that the last thing I want in the morning is food. I'm not sure how to resolve this unless I just say screw it to worrying about doing it with food and just do the shake thing.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      LOL! WiccanLeptin Reset.

I tried, but it was very difficult for me to eat 50 grams of protein first thing in the morning without resorting to whey shakes. I recently realized that a pound of 2% cottage cheese has 56 grams of protein (for a mere 360 calories) and I love the stuff. The thing is that the last thing I want in the morning is food. I'm not sure how to resolve this unless I just say screw it to worrying about doing it with food and just do the shake thing.
      Or don't worry about eating first thing. My guess is that the recommendation to do so is to 1) help get enough protein during the day, which several have noted is a challenge, and 2) to fill you on a protein rich meal before getting tempted to devour something quick and easy and carb/fat/both heavy

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        I'm just wondering, wouldn't that indicate, at least a little, that you never actually had any disorder? That you were actually hungry?
        Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
        Knife that might be a tad bit insensitive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        Oh, I thought I asked softly enough. Darn text! Well, I had (maybe still have?) really disordered eating, too - but when eating more protein + real food basically fixed it all, I was forced to analyze the situation. I came to the conclusion that the only way I could eat a large pizza, a box of ho-ho's and 2 liters of mountain dew in one sitting was that they weren't satisfying. There was actually nothing wrong with me, but it was the fake, unsatisfactory "food".
        I did not take your answer negatively. I refer to it as a binge eating disorder for the purposes of clinical definition. I always hoped that there was a nutritional cure. I am finally on the cusp of a weight that I have not seen in 20 yrs.

In answer to other posts, I have been Primal for 3 years, but Primal alone was not the fix for uncontrolled night binging.

I am actually doing a moderate carb version of the Leptin Reset. I just didn't mention it by name to avoid all the negative connections with the cult of K. He is the reason I refused until recently to try the high protein breakfast. Sorry I waited so long. On that note, I get half my morning protein in whey and the rest in real food.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
          LOL! WiccanLeptin Reset.

If you are willing to do dairy, why would you avoid whey? I use a plain 2 ingredient powder by now foods.
          Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
            Or don't worry about eating first thing. My guess is that the recommendation to do so is to 1) help get enough protein during the day, which several have noted is a challenge, and 2) to fill you on a protein rich meal before getting tempted to devour something quick and easy and carb/fat/both heavy
            This may just be unique to me, but doing high protein spread throughout the day did not stop the binge issue. The first day I front loaded protein at breakfast was the day the binging stopped.
            Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

Pebbles, thank you for your advice. Though I don't post to your journal very often, I have been following your recent success, and to say you are an inspiration would be an understatement to say the least.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                This may just be unique to me, but doing high protein spread throughout the day did not stop the binge issue. The first day I front loaded protein at breakfast was the day the binging stopped.
                Great data point. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

I try and front-load the protein and also keep it high all the rest of the day. I'm trying to build some muscle and strength. So far I'm progressing ever so slightly on my weight lifting. I managed to press 62.5lbs 4 times last time. The time before that, only 3. Maybe this week I'll finally get 5. A woman can dream the impossible, right?

I might have better luck drawing a pentagram on the floor with goat yogurt (that's both high protein and filtered blood, right?) and make sure I eat 3x a day but never closer than 5 hours between meals but oh, make sure to eat within 15 minutes of waking, even if it takes 15 minutes to make your breakfast, and make sure to go to bed at sundown even if that means your last meal has to happen in your sleep oh and in the mean time, make sure to learn how to read and comprehend sentences that start on one topic, end on another and somewhere in the middle forget some crucial verbs or other structures that might make any sense.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Yes the rules of JK are quite specific.
                    Funny thing, I eat an hour after I get up and it still works for me.

Oh and don't forget that you need to sit in a frigid bath.
                    Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

I only eat once a day, so loading order doesn't really matter.

On the Leptin reset thing though, I did read through the entire thread and others and nowhere did I actually find anyone who reported Leptin levels, so wondered what the point of the whole process was if you didn't know where you started or finished and what impact there was on Leptin levels were. Did I miss something in the thread?

My partner and her mother have tested their Leptin levels and both are high, so we are monitoring anually as we address improvements in their diet, lifestyle etc.
                      "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

I can't eat within an hour of waking up because I have to take my thyroid meds on an empty stomach and not eat for an hour afterward. My breakfast is usually about 2 hours after I wake up (sometimes longer if I'm not hungry yet), and although I don't get as high as 50g of protein at breakfast, what I have first thing is nearly all protein.

I have found, though, that if I don't get enough protein in the two or three meals I eat during the day, I'm wandering around in the kitchen after dinner looking for something to eat even if I'm not hungry. That doesn't happen much any more, now that I've figured out what it means.

Comment

Pebbles, can you give us an example of a typical breakfast?

Hubby is having trouble losing belly fat and he tends to snack after dinner. I think protein for breakfast may help. He was just having a large coffee with 1/2 & 1/2, but now he's having coffee with low fat milk and gelatin. He doesn't like to cook in the morning (and I am a bad wife, I don't get up and make him breakfast since leaves for work around 6 am) so protein needs to be simple. I bought him 1% cottage cheese and I'm going to make him egg and sausage muffins in advance.

If anyone else has easy ideas for breakfast protein feel free to chime in. BTW leftovers don't really work because that's what he takes for lunch.
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post

Hubby is having trouble losing belly fat and he tends to snack after dinner. I think protein for breakfast may help. He was just having a large coffee with 1/2 & 1/2, but now he's having coffee with low fat milk and gelatin. He doesn't like to cook in the morning (and I am a bad wife, I don't get up and make him breakfast since leaves for work around 6 am) so protein needs to be simple. I bought him 1% cottage cheese and I'm going to make him egg and sausage muffins in advance.

If anyone else has easy ideas for breakfast protein feel free to chime in. BTW leftovers don't really work because that's what he takes for lunch.
                            For getting a high protein breakfast, making food in advance (like your egg and sausage muffins) and heating it up or just eating it cold is a good idea. Stuff that doesn't require much preparation like yogurt, cottage cheese, whey shakes, and milk also work. I've even eaten cans of tuna or sardines for breakfast before if I was in a hurry.
                            In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

If I swing too much the other way (too MUCH protein), I start to crave things massively to balance things out.
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Lack of protein drives overeating.

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post

Have a smoothie. Egg white or eggs or whey, fruit, gelatin. Easy.

Hardboiled eggs.

Low fat keifir, yogurt, etc. Cottage cheese with fruit is yum too.

Slices of frittata. (Casserole style).

Just keep cold cuts of meat (brisket, etc) in the fridge.

Also... Can't he cook? ...I am confused. O_o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                ------
                                HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Working...
                                X