No announcement yet.

Andrew Kim Absolutely Crushes the Ridiculous Notion of Being "Fat Adapted"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shoulda stuck with the medschool route - would be easier for me to figure things out for myself!

M.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkChopper View Post
      When i get home, if i have time i will post some of Stantons work. Although if you check out his site, you should see for yourself.
      I've read some of his articles. I wouldn't have layed articles out in quite the way he did with boxed paragraphs inside articles, but I haven't noticed anything factual that I flat out disagree with.

Just to look at his most recent series of posts on 'A calorie is not a calorie'. Seems like there's science in there.
      Last edited by magicmerl; 11-06-2013, 07:47 PM.
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Autophagy reference for those so inclined. My eyes blurred a couple paragraphs in. Beyond my competence.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkward View Post
          Nope. You referred specifically to Mark, not to "people around here". You also presented his position as much more extreme than that. Backpedal, backpedal, spin, spin.
          Actually, I did not. This is what I said:

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369
          It's a cardinal sin to add a 16 calorie packet of white sugar to your coffee, but it's okay to emulsify half a stick of butter in it.
          That quotation is not prefaced with "Mark Sisson says." What I was referring to is the overall context of the Primal Blueprint, where copious amounts of added fats are okay but the same does not hold true for sugars, even though most sugars (honey, maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar, palm sugar, sucanat) are more nutritious than most fats that are given the green light.

Originally posted by Hawkward View Post
          By the way, I don't disagree with your basic premise that many people worry too much about carbs and sugars versus fats, just the way you present it.
          Anyone who has ever made any impact in history would strongly disagree with you. When you try and please everyone, you please no one.
          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by Coffee, Salmon, & Apples View Post
            Hi there. Just curious as to what your macro breakdown is for your activity level?
            It varies wildly. I give into my cravings. I know when I want fats, I know when I want carbs. I just choose good sources of fat and carbs. Some days I do a huge run on potatoes and fruit. The past two weeks with the weather shifting, I've been wanting bones. Fruit has really taken a back seat with the cold, although I've developed a huge craving for apples. In the past 2 weeks, I've eaten lamb shank, lamb loin, chuck short ribs, beef back ribs, 3 dozen eggs and I got my first butternut squash. I'm usually not a huge fan of bone-in meats but I've been dying for them lately, so there's probably a reason. Why fight it?
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
              I found J Stanton's post to be quite credible, since what he's doing is pointing out that this is a style of posting that choco has carried out before. Reasoned debate is pointless since choco basically nitpicks and misunderstand every misstatement he can, then when he is skewered by something undeniable he just sticks his fingers in his ears and silently bows out of the thread. This isn't the first choco thread of this nature. (although, he's only 20% of the posts here, so not really spamming the thread).

Why do you think there are so many posts about beating a dead horse?

Also, could you please substantiate the bit I bolded? Or at least add something more that would make your post a rebuttal rather than an ad-hominem.
              Do you suppose I quit my job to find time to reply to every single post on MDA that I'm referenced in? That amount of time spent in front of blue light sources surely isn't Primal.

I think I do a decent job following up here and there, but I don't get paid for this shit. If you want me to read something specific, PM me or something. There has to be some consistency here. If I respond, then I'm spamming. If I don't respond, it's because I've been debunked and I'm too small of a man to admit it. What do you want me to do? Some of you are like children in the father-son pee race. If you pee longer than me, you win because you peed longer. If you don't pee as long as me, you win because you finished first. If I play by your rules, I always lose since it's a fight I cannot win, so why bother? You can't talk to someone that doesn't want to be talked to.
              Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-06-2013, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Eat some carbs and some fat. Play with the ratios however you want. Autophagy is good sometimes but don't go crazy about it. Logic. Now go back to the dead horse flogging.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                  Mark Sisson's core concept of The Primal Blueprint is a sound one - eat real, fresh, nutritious whole foods, avoid processed, low-nutrient/high anti-nutrient foods. But then he has to go and muddy the waters with groundless bullshit to create a unique product that he can trademark as his own and sell. On one hand he advocates whole foods, but on the other he advocates added fats. He has this ridiculous and groundless "Carbohydrate Curve" that completely undermines the consumption of real food - you can eat all the meat and eggs you want, but you have to count your fruits. It's a cardinal sin to add a 16 calorie packet of white sugar to your coffee, but it's okay to emulsify half a stick of butter in it.

Huh?
                  Anyone reading the above would read it as you slamming Mark Sisson for ALL the points in that paragraph. Shame on you for being disingenuous
                  I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
                    Anyone reading the above would read it as you slamming Mark Sisson for ALL the points in that paragraph. Shame on you for being disingenuous

According to Mark Sisson, refined fats are superior to fruit, dairy, tubers, nuts and chocolate and should make up a larger part of your diet than said real, whole, nutritious foods. Sugars, which are often more healthful than fats, don't even make the list at all.

Do you see this as a problem? I surely do. To promote refined fats - the very definition of empty calories - above fruit, dairy and nuts is ridiculous.

Comment

By quoting himself that one single sentence and not the entire paragraph as you have, Sweet Leilani, that is his way of backpedaling, spinning and pretending he didn't say the stupid things he always says.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I just feel bad for the horse's family
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          By quoting himself that one single sentence and not the entire paragraph as you have, Sweet Leilani, that is his way of backpedaling, spinning and pretending he didn't say the stupid things he always says.
                          You'd be the queen. You've said nearly 50% more in 2/3 of the time

If you don't want to read what I have to say, skip the thread.

Comment

According to Mark Sisson, refined fats are superior to fruit, dairy, tubers, nuts and chocolate and should make up a larger part of your diet than said real, whole, nutritious foods. Sugars, which are often more healthful than fats, don't even make the list at all.

Do you see this as a problem? I surely do. To promote refined fats - the very definition of empty calories - above fruit, dairy and nuts is ridiculous.
                            Okay okay okay... I have the solution...

That middle layer.. the Healthy Fats layer, that doesn't need to be there. That's what's throwing you off, but it can be deleted.

- Animal fats, coconut oil, coconut products are already accounted for in the bottom tier.

- Butter (high fat dairy), Avocado's and olives (fruit) and macadamia's (nuts) are already accounted for in the tier above.

- Olive oil is the only item in that tier which is not already accounted for elsewhere. So I say, olive oil, being a fruit oil be included in the fruit tier

So.. isn't the following okay in order from least to most??

Herbs/Spices/Supplements
                            Fruits/Dairy/Starches/Nuts
                            Vegetables
                            Meat/Fish/Fowl/Eggs

(damn my pissweak photoshop skills )
                            I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

Comment

Very interested read Choco! Thanks for posting. I must admit though, a once a week 24 fast STILL feels good, but maybe it should be a once a month type deal, kind of at the end of a training cycle, or to start a rest week or something.

I do feel as though my libido isn't quite as high as when I having all kinds of carbs. Also (clearly) not nearly as full or powerful aesthetics/ strength wise. Tried the 500 grams of carbs but it was way to much. Gonna lower to ~350 and lower it increase from there.

Honestly, I was really ( no REALLY) scared and worried about chronically elevated insulin (so a high glucose diet) but in healthy active people.. I think its bullshit to restrict carb intake. Athletes need rocket fuel. Glycogen = rocket fuel.

Just curious choco, whats your take on leangains? Is fasting any of sort beneficial?

Is 8-9 hours of sleep enough of a fast? 12? 14?

Comment

Actually, I did not. This is what I said:

That quotation is not prefaced with "Mark Sisson says." What I was referring to is the overall context of the Primal Blueprint, where copious amounts of added fats are okay but the same does not hold true for sugars, even though most sugars (honey, maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar, palm sugar, sucanat) are more nutritious than most fats that are given the green light.

Anyone who has ever made any impact in history would strongly disagree with you. When you try and please everyone, you please no one.
                                Here is your full quote:

"Mark Sisson's core concept of The Primal Blueprint is a sound one - eat real, fresh, nutritious whole foods, avoid processed, low-nutrient/high anti-nutrient foods. But then he has to go and muddy the waters with groundless bullshit to create a unique product that he can trademark as his own and sell. On one hand he advocates whole foods, but on the other he advocates added fats. He has this ridiculous and groundless "Carbohydrate Curve" that completely undermines the consumption of real food - you can eat all the meat and eggs you want, but you have to count your fruits. It's a cardinal sin to add a 16 calorie packet of white sugar to your coffee, but it's okay to emulsify half a stick of butter in it."

The entire paragraph is referring to Sisson's approach, but yet you now want to claim that your ridiculous straw man in last sentence isn't referring to that also? Please. At least have the balls to own your statements.
                                LastBottleWines

Comment

Working...
                                X