How fat will everyone get?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
    Well, recent research has already shown that our generation will on average have a shorter life-span than our parents due to unhealthy life-style (food, environment, lack of movement, polution, etc)
    Seeing what is happening with the children from our generation I shudder in fear to think about their life-expectancy. With kids being obese and getting surgery at the age of 8 already, I have little faith that half of them will reach the reproductive and child raising age of 30-40... Not to mention that obesity is the number one cause for women NOT to have their periods and are there for incapable to have kids.
    I don't think we will see if happen but in a few generations humanity will effectively shrink in size thanks to food-related health issues... I trully believe that.
    If all the above is true, then I believe you too. Hmm, and how is feeding a child THAT much not child abuse?

How can people be that dumb and careless? Seriously. I've been 226 lbs on a 5'9" frame, and it was VERY uncomfortable. I KNEW that was WAY too much for me and that I had gone overboard. I KNEW I had to shed the fat, so I tried. I didn't know what to do, so I tried to figure it out, I tried anyways. Even at that weight, especially because of how horrible it felt, it puzzled me how people could let themselves get heavier than that, especially women and thin nonathletic people with little muscle. But they do. And I simply don't get it. I'm convinced to get that heavy you've actually got to either not care or be really really dumb.

Apologies ahead of time to any readers who happen to be that heavy if that sounds too harsh. But you did it to yourself. Try looking in the mirror, slapping yourself in the face, and doing something about it. Because nobody else will. It isn't Bush's fault, and Obama isn't going to fix the problem for you either.

Through out many disasters that could have killed out humanity, the ones that survived were the ones that could adapt. Now ask the average American or European to survive for the rest of their lives on their survival skills and they will pretty much, whine, scream, kick and fight but most of them will not be able to make the transition.
    Ask a tribal member of any ancient folk (African tribals, native american, first nation elders, inuits, etc) to survive on no supplies from the wealthy part of the world and they will probably manage. They still have the skill or the elders know the skill and the boby adaptions to live in that area. They won't go in a sugar-crash that will cloud their opinion and skill and I don't think they will go through with-drawal symptoms from stopping with sugar and/or carbs.
    from a young age Tribal people have been told the stories of where to find the right foods, they have probably been taught how to hunt or to forage, and more importantly they still have the physical properties to survive.

(this is just my humble opinion... )
    Well spoken. We really are spoiled. People just don't know. Try living around people who are MUCH less fortunate than people in the USA and you'll really see the difference. Strange thing is, I've met some people who have done that and still don't get it. Seriously. Yes, I did meet a fat guy who came to live (for a long enough time, even got married) in the Philippines where poor people only eat fish rice and bananas and are consequently thin, and he still had the stupidity in his mind to say that poor people in the USA get fat because they can't afford good food.

Oh well, I guess I sound like a jerk. Or is it just being brutally honest? Perhaps not such a bad thing. Clearly telling 300 lb women that they are beautiful and aren't fat (just big boned) isn't working.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
      Excellent post original poster. I agree there will be no end to it; people eat what's there, and what's there has made them the way they have become (and what they are becoming), and altering what's there in a positive way would decrease profits/GDP which can not happen. So it won't end, but where will it max out?

There is not necessarily an upper limit to how fat a human can get. This woman weighs 1,036lbs and eats 18,000 calories a day (she admits to having a sweet tooth -- shocking). In the future Americans will just consume 100% of their calories from pure lab-strength fructose. The more they drink the more they will be hungry, and weights unimaginable to the human mind will be obtained.

But even when they eat 100% of their calories from one food, they will not be able to stop arguing about what it is in their diet that is causing the obesity, because their brains will be fucking sugar fried.

Fattest Woman In The World 1,036 lbs - Mayra Rosales - YouTube
      Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I want to throw it out there. Maybe I'll make another thread about it later on. But I have a good question. All other animals just see the food they want and take it, just the way we're supposed to. No advanced things to think about. No advanced survival techniques. Just simple, eat the food. So if we can't drink water straight from the ocean or the river without getting sick, where did we get water from back in truly primal days before we even had tools?

Hint, hint, I believe there is a perfect food (for us) that takes care of it all, even our hydration needs without the requirement of having to drink any water at all. And it doesn't require killing, cooking, digging, or anything that takes much effort at all. Just grab it and eat it.

But THIS food? Everyone these days says it's bad for you. Everyone says we wouldn't have eaten it in primal times. Of course not. We're way too smart than to just grab and eat what's readily available just like what the other animals do. We're smarter than that so we've got to make it WAY more complicated than that. You need 80 different types of foods, preferably processed, plus protein powder and vitamin pills amongst many other supplements (instead of real food), and you need to eat all of them 18 times per day otherwise you get fat sick and die. At least that's how the story goes.

Comment

Oh well, I guess I sound like a jerk. Or is it just being brutally honest? Perhaps not such a bad thing. Clearly telling 300 lb women that they are beautiful and aren't fat (just big boned) isn't working.
        Here is the problem.... for the most part they don't believe they are beautiful (*white middle class to upper class). It's actually a really depressing cycle to be very heavy. You get into a very desperate cycle of feast and famine. Most 300 lb women are not happily munching cake, thinking they are the bee's knees. They may act like that, but deep inside, a lot of self loathing.

I'm convinced to get that heavy you've actually got to either not care or be really really dumb.
        Well, I got to 5'7 300 lbs. I posted a "Success Story" that mirrors what I went through. I've cared about being fat since I was what, 9 or 10 when my mom started in on the "fat" message, then classmates etc. I knew how to lose weight- eat less, but it was just very, very difficult to fight the urge to eat junk in the college environment. And I was really self conscious with regards to exercise. I was able to get down to merely obese for years by following CW rules- lots of cardio, vegetarian diet. But it was still very difficult to clean up the last bit of crap (I haven't eaten fast food/soda in probably 15 years), I ate mainly whole foods, but with a sweet tooth. The sweet tooth was two whammies- a social/bonding thing with other women and an addiction.

Getting to 175 was pretty easy, but I gave up a lot of really common foods to do it. I'm still overweight despite 2 years of paleo/primal plus a good 6 months of Crossfit. To get below overweight, I'm doing CF 5 days a week (that's a heap ton of exercise) and a very, very strict diet with IF. Doing such is making me kind of an unfun person. So it is in actuality, very difficult and for me, not a matter of "hey, stupid don't eat junk and move a little".

I think unfortunately, the SAD diet in combo with the CW diet can really fuck up our bodies on a lot of levels and losing that fat takes a lot more time and effort than many people have the ability to offer.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Well, the salt content of ocean water is what's going to kill you, but to be honest I'm increasingly skeptical that we evolved on a planet where we couldn't drink the fresh water. Parasites, bacteria, I understand, but I'm wondering just how much of a problem that actually is. This is a question to which I don't have an answer, however, so more research must be conducted.

Anyways, speaking of morbidly obese people, there's a woman in my office that is, from a visual guess, somewhere between 500 and 600 pounds. How she gets up the stairs is beyond me. The few times I've interacted with her she's been very nice and she apparently is involved in some kind of volunteer organizations, but man it messes with my brain that someone could be that large. She's only 30 this year :/

M.

Comment

Once I saw a guy who was morbidly obese sitting on one of those automatic shopping carts for handicapped people. He grabbed 10 packets of bacon and shouted to his shopping mate "I got more bacon!" Then I saw him again walking without difficulty from the store to his car.

That scene almost scarred me for life from ever eating bacon again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            ------
            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Come to Santa Barbara. Hardly anybody is fat unless they're getting off a cruise ship or a tour bus. Most people are actually very good looking here. You ought to see the UC campus here. It's probably the pretty girl center of the universe.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Anyways, speaking of morbidly obese people, there's a woman in my office that is, from a visual guess, somewhere between 500 and 600 pounds. How she gets up the stairs is beyond me. The few times I've interacted with her she's been very nice and she apparently is involved in some kind of volunteer organizations, but man it messes with my brain that someone could be that large. She's only 30 this year :/
                I think it is a stereotype that the morbidly obese are bedridden lazy folks. I think a lot of them get that way as they don't take time for themselves. I had mentioned the P90X quitter who felt the hour a day devoted to exercise was too selfish. I've been accused of being very self centered for my devotion to my fitness and lack of desire to hang out with friends and eat unhealthy crap. Not for nothing, but myself and an awful lot of people here are assholes. It does take a self centered mentality to change your lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                  ...but to be honest I'm increasingly skeptical that we evolved on a planet where we couldn't drink the fresh water. Parasites, bacteria, I understand, but I'm wondering just how much of a problem that actually is. This is a question to which I don't have an answer, however, so more research must be conducted.
                  I remember in college, in one of my geology classes (early 90s), we were informed that the last unpolluted stream had been contaminated. Apparently the humus and soil were enough to filter out bacteria and pathogens from feces until "modern" times, when humans got stupid enough to shit in our water supply. It was a couple of mountain-climbers who left "waste" behind on a mountain that got washed into the stream during spring flood and the bacteria flourished that ruined the last "pristine" stream.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                    Here is the problem.... for the most part they don't believe they are beautiful (*white middle class to upper class). It's actually a really depressing cycle to be very heavy. You get into a very desperate cycle of feast and famine. Most 300 lb women are not happily munching cake, thinking they are the bee's knees. They may act like that, but deep inside, a lot of self loathing.
                    I've heard of that. I guess I forgot. It's been so long since I was overweight (and around overweight people) that I seem to forget. From my experience, even just being obese (not morbidly obese), I do know for sure that there is a psychological aspect to it. For me it mainly had to do with beliefs. I was used to being around overweight people, so I thought it was normal.

But other people have different reasons. One girl told me that she was depressed because she didn't live with her father. That's a sad one. And MUCH different than what I went through.

I LOVE to eat, always have, always will. But that wasn't the problem. I just was simply clueless as to how much was a good weight for me and what was possible. But once I started losing the weight, women started noticing me.

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post

Well, I got to 5'7 300 lbs. I posted a "Success Story" that mirrors what I went through. I've cared about being fat since I was what, 9 or 10 when my mom started in on the "fat" message, then classmates etc. I knew how to lose weight- eat less, but it was just very, very difficult to fight the urge to eat junk in the college environment. And I was really self conscious with regards to exercise. I was able to get down to merely obese for years by following CW rules- lots of cardio, vegetarian diet. But it was still very difficult to clean up the last bit of crap (I haven't eaten fast food/soda in probably 15 years), I ate mainly whole foods, but with a sweet tooth. The sweet tooth was two whammies- a social/bonding thing with other women and an addiction.

Getting to 175 was pretty easy, but I gave up a lot of really common foods to do it. I'm still overweight despite 2 years of paleo/primal plus a good 6 months of Crossfit. To get below overweight, I'm doing CF 5 days a week (that's a heap ton of exercise) and a very, very strict diet with IF. Doing such is making me kind of an unfun person. So it is in actuality, very difficult and for me, not a matter of "hey, stupid don't eat junk and move a little".

I think unfortunately, the SAD diet in combo with the CW diet can really fuck up our bodies on a lot of levels and losing that fat takes a lot more time and effort than many people have the ability to offer.
                    That's true, and it really sucks. It took me 4 years to drop 50 lbs. I can't imagine what those have to push their bodies through in order to drop 100 lbs quick. But I have heard the stories.

I even want to improve from where I am now. I'm 175 lbs, which is a great weight for me. I get a lot of compliments. But I want to do better. However, there's nothing to really motivate me at this point.

Anyways, thank you very much for your story. I'm sure you will lose the rest of the weight. It might take time. But you'll get there.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      Come to Santa Barbara. Hardly anybody is fat unless they're getting off a cruise ship or a tour bus. Most people are actually very good looking here. You ought to see the UC campus here. It's probably the pretty girl center of the universe.
                      When I went from NY to San Jose CA, it really changed what fitness goals I was going to have. I saw lean guys with abs everywhere at the beach. It made me want to shed the fat and get abs too.

People think differently out there for sure. I'm sure the beach has a lot to do with it. I remember one bartender telling me that he was obsessed with getting abs and would do 1000 sit ups or crunches per night. You'd never hear of that in NY. People just cover themselves up with a sweater.

Comment

I used to think that people who wanted to eat more should just exercise (holy crap, I accidentally wrote "EAT". LOL ) more instead of diet.
                        Or that you should just do some cardio if you wanted to eat some cake.

Damn. I wasn't ignorant: it was just what all the TV-shows and people around me said. Glad I stumbled upon Primal before I would start doing cardio every day to maintain my weight.
                        Last edited by The_Introvert_Huntress; 11-06-2013, 08:23 AM.
                        "Bread-Bread-Dinner
                        It ain't makin' me any thinner
                        I eat a sandwich for break-fast
                        And then I have a sugar blast!
                        I eat toasted bread for lunch
                        And enjoy my mid-day crunch!
                        At dinner I eat pasta
                        And end my day with a sugar disasta!"

From the How am I not starving??? thread. Enjoy the read.

Comment

Who told you we evolved on a planet where you couldn't drink the water? Or even that it was full of parasites and whatnot? I lived in the wilderness for 6 months and drank the water unfiltered from creeks, springs and lakes. I purified only when livestock were allowed in the area. I never got sick. I drank water with frogs sitting in it, with fish, with little snails and crawling bugs. If living things are in it, the water is alive and healthy.

Now, on the subject of fatness, I get a little tired of these fat-bashing threads. I mean, does it really make you feel better to think the things you do about fat people, to feel the hatred for them? Does it make you feel better to spread your hatred in a public forum where your statements can hurt others? And please spare me the phony concern for their health or the self-righteous outrage at the public expense of it all. These kinds of displays are not about that at all. They're about some primal need to be mean, to hate on other people.

Why don't you do something more positive, like help people? Look at all Mark Sisson has done for people in their shoes. You will never find him bashing fat people, using words like disgusting or expressing outrage and contempt. His compassion and desire to truly help people is more successful and a more positive force for change than the puny-minded fat bashing around here. Consider what your hatred is doing to you, corrupting you from the inside. I'd rather be friends with hugely obese people that are helpful than small-minded thin people who feel glee at spreading their hatred.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripped View Post
                            If all the above is true, then I believe you too. Hmm, and how is feeding a child THAT much not child abuse?
                            Ripped, check out this article from a few weeks ago
                            Obese boy of TWO youngest in world to have weight loss surgery - a laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy - Mirror Online
                            This kid is a toddler!!!!!... that;s child abuse...

also, here is just an example of research done to obesity and infertility
                            Obesity and fertility. [S D Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Originally posted by Ripped
                            How can people be that dumb and careless? Seriously. I've been 226 lbs on a 5'9" frame, and it was VERY uncomfortable. I KNEW that was WAY too much for me and that I had gone overboard. I KNEW I had to shed the fat, so I tried. I didn't know what to do, so I tried to figure it out, I tried anyways. Even at that weight, especially because of how horrible it felt, it puzzled me how people could let themselves get heavier than that, especially women and thin nonathletic people with little muscle. But they do. And I simply don't get it. I'm convinced to get that heavy you've actually got to either not care or be really really dumb.
                            Sugar numbs everything, remember the time you at tons of sugar and carbs? how hazy were your thoughts...My mind would always be full of thought but never really focused... eating low carb and clearing all the bad things out of your body helps to see reality a bit more clearly.

Apologies ahead of time to any readers who happen to be that heavy if that sounds too harsh. But you did it to yourself. Try looking in the mirror, slapping yourself in the face, and doing something about it. Because nobody else will. It isn't Bush's fault, and Obama isn't going to fix the problem for you either.
                            True, and add doctors to that as well... they won't hold your hand and telling you "no" while you are facing that big chocolate pie...

Well spoken. We really are spoiled. People just don't know. Try living around people who are MUCH less fortunate than people in the USA and you'll really see the difference. Strange thing is, I've met some people who have done that and still don't get it. Seriously. Yes, I did meet a fat guy who came to live (for a long enough time, even got married) in the Philippines where poor people only eat fish rice and bananas and are consequently thin, and he still had the stupidity in his mind to say that poor people in the USA get fat because they can't afford good food.
                            Well it is true that it would be bloody expensive to afford all those calories in healthy food... if you take a US size plate of carbs that is regularly eaten and try to replace it with veggies, fruits and healthy meat it would be very expensive. People don't realize that being hungry every now and then won't kill you (it might actually safe you)

To be honest I do hate people who are playing the victim when it comes to loosing weight. Everybody knows that if you eat too much you get too fat. a calorie is still a calorie... only to your body it differs. Your body will be so much more happy with calories from veggies and meat because it can use the micro-nutrients in it to repair and build. Instead of calories from sweets and cake where micro-nutrients are limited and don't do anything...
                            Honestly, how hard it is to switch that cake for an apple???

It would be lying anyway... it's scientifically proven that men and women are attracted to healthy humans, humans that can reproduce, that have the best genes to reproduce.... saying a fat person is beautiful is playing on your own insecurities...
                            My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Honestly, how hard it is to switch that cake for an apple???
                              There's the little voices in your head that yell: "OMG CAKE!! INDULGENCE!!" and "An apple. But there's cake, and other people are going to eat it, and this is going to be the last chance before it's finished, and.. and.."
                              I'm not overweight, nor do I like cake, but I have that conversation with myself about other stuff, like the home-made cookies that I baked with Dad's girlfriend, and stuff. (I ate as many as I wanted, by the way. Without feeling guilty. )
                              "Bread-Bread-Dinner
                              It ain't makin' me any thinner
                              I eat a sandwich for break-fast
                              And then I have a sugar blast!
                              I eat toasted bread for lunch
                              And enjoy my mid-day crunch!
                              At dinner I eat pasta
                              And end my day with a sugar disasta!"

From the How am I not starving??? thread. Enjoy the read.

Comment

Now, on the subject of fatness, I get a little tired of these fat-bashing threads. I mean, does it really make you feel better to think the things you do about fat people, to feel the hatred for them? Does it make you feel better to spread your hatred in a public forum where your statements can hurt others? And please spare me the phony concern for their health or the self-righteous outrage at the public expense of it all. These kinds of displays are not about that at all. They're about some primal need to be mean, to hate on other people.
                                I will say that it is very frustrating to see the lack of responsibility people take for their health, whether it yields a fat body or not. It's particularly frustrating to see parents allowing their children to get morbidly obese. You live in a bit of a bubble in Southern California. In the south, it is VERY common to see obese to morbidly obese children with parents buying them crap foods. Hell, our schools serve crap. My neighbor's daughter can choose from pizza, pasta or burger and fries. And well, the child is getting fat, despite being very active and she is not at all happy with her weight.

It is going to cost us down the road. Our government has now equalized health care costs for the uninsured, meaning we all will now financially face a burden for caring for the unhealthy. As a healthy person, my yearly health expenses are about $200-$300 for a check up. Done. A person with diabetes will spend $7200 on treatment in a year on average. Even my year of painful back only ran me $2000.

I do agree, it's not about being fat or not, it's about how damn unhealthy people have gotten by this movement towards eating a diet based around crap. We have seriously become disconnected from how to feed ourselves correctly. Look at our groceries- the vast majority of the product is stuff you really should not need to eat, even at a place like Whole Foods. As long as we insist on a diet based around "treat" foods like chips and cookies and junk, be they full on junk, gluten free, fat free, all organic, people are going to suffer healthwise, be malnourished, and have health problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X