Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D-vitamins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • D-vitamins

    Living up here in the way back north of absolutely everything, my vitamin D levels are a bit of a concern and I'm going to try to supplement with liquid vitamin D this winter (last winter I was working outside for 4 hours a day so I never really felt that tired). But I have a question about the different kinds of D-vitamins and if anyone here knows or has experienced that they'd have different kinds of effects. The supplement I'm starting on is D3 which apparently is the one our bodies would normally synthesize with enough sunlight and it is animal-based. Does anyone have any experience with D1 or D2, the plant based D-vitamins?
    My diary comics
    My fitness inspiration blog

  • #2
    I have never heard of D1, but D2 tends not to be absorbed as well as D3.

    How do I get the vitamin D my body needs? | Vitamin D Council

    It took several months of me supplementing around 10,000 IU per day to get my levels up from deficient to a normal range. I had only positive results: no Seasonal Affective Disorder.
    Depression Lies

    Comment


    • #3
      Great Link to D3 info

      Here's a great link that will answer a lot of your questions.
      Is Vitamin D the Silver Bullet for Cancer

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
        I have never heard of D1, but D2 tends not to be absorbed as well as D3.

        How do I get the vitamin D my body needs? | Vitamin D Council

        It took several months of me supplementing around 10,000 IU per day to get my levels up from deficient to a normal range. I had only positive results: no Seasonal Affective Disorder.
        Ds come in 5 different forms, D1-D5, but most sources only seem to talk about D3 (cholecalciferol) and D2 (ergocalciferol). I'm curious about the other 3 forms, if they're used in supplements and what sort of function they play in our bodies but I suppose I'll just have to go dig out medical literature for that.

        Did you take your supplements in liquid form? How long did it take for you to start seeing effects? Oh man, I'd be so grateful if I could maintain my normal personality this winter. LOL!
        My diary comics
        My fitness inspiration blog

        Comment


        • #5
          I take 5000iu daily and I feel pretty good. The added bonus this summer was getting a proper tan for the first time in my life.
          Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
          www.primaljoy.co.uk

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, I take it in liquid form. I think I noticed an improvement within a couple of weeks of supplementing around 10,000 IU per day. I always noticed the biggest difference on cloudy or rainy days because I didn't get all melancholy like I used to. By the next spring, my levels were around 50-60 (from 17? I think?). The doctor said that the recommended level is lower than 50 now, but some of the things I've read indicate that depressed folks probably want to keep their vit D levels higher. I haven't stopped supplementing and haven't had my Vit D serum levels tested since, because I've been deficient for many years and I don't get outside very much.

            I just started taking a liquid form from Thorne Research that also has Vitamin K in it. I read somewhere about K being important to balance with D and I don't eat a lot of food that probably carries Vitamin K.
            Depression Lies

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MaceyUK View Post
              I take 5000iu daily and I feel pretty good. The added bonus this summer was getting a proper tan for the first time in my life.
              Yeah, I noticed that I didn't burn as easily this past summer.
              Depression Lies

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                Yeah, I noticed that I didn't burn as easily this past summer.
                Did my post get deleted? Are you not allowed to mention BG on this forum?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by thirstygreek View Post
                  Did my post get deleted? Are you not allowed to mention BG on this forum?
                  Looks like you posted about this in another thread? In regards to Vit D & K supplementation
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1356566
                  Depression Lies

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                    Looks like you posted about this in another thread? In regards to Vit D & K supplementation
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1356566
                    Whoops! ty

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X