No announcement yet.

stop counting start living

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't count and neither does my partner, she only ever dabbled in it for a short while about 15-20 years ago, since then it's simply been a case of try to be healthy and get some exercise, although our perceptions of the definition of health has changed in regards to food and behaviour, we still hold the same attitude.
    Her weight has fluctuated within a range from very cuddly to just cuddly, although there are some aspects of her body that she would like to improve, but not enough to get tangled up in numbers, she is fully aware of behaviours that she can improve, it's just a case of making the decision to do this, which she will when she's ready.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      My experience with calories:

If I track, I'm terrible at it because I'm terrible at estimating my portion sizes. So even if I do track I do it with the understanding that I'm probably not very close to accurate.

If I track, I tend to feel guilty about the calories even if the number the calorie tracking app is set for is generous or irrelevant to me. And when I start to feel guilty, I start to limit what I eat.

Sometimes I track by simply taking pictures of all my food. I find that taking a picture is better and less frustrating than entering ingredients into a stupid app and makes me limit what I eat just as well as knowing the calories.

In reality I track only once in a while when I'm curious to understand a change I want to make. For example, recently I wanted to learn how to estimate my protein intake so I started tracking to get an idea. Now that I have a better idea of what x number of grams of protein looks like, I don't feel like tracking anymore.

In general, I "track" by how my clothes fit or how I look in the mirror. I truly honestly know if I'm getting fat and don't need calories or a scale to tell me so why bother?

Most of the time I don't see much change in myself and I don't do any kind of tracking. I have come to learn the following:

1. Eating all real primal food and getting proper exercise (lifting, sprinting and a little bit of the mild stuff) actually does normalize your body, your size, your metabolism, your hormones and your health. You have to do all of it and you must give it time.
      2. A normalized body is rather resilient toward over/under eating.
      3. A normalized body may not look like what you think it should look like.
      4. You must choose your diet and exercise not on what you want to look like but on what makes you feel like the healthiest and strongest person you can be.
      5. Feeling great is way better than being skinny.
      I absolutely agree! Calorie counting, while may be helpful for some in the short term, can turn into obsession and change our relationship with food away from nourishment and more towards guilt. I've found this very same thing when I tried counting. If you have a good idea of the macros you need, eat a variety of colorful veg and eat mostly whole unprocessed food, you will be healthy... If it means an extra jean size then who cares!

Comment

I count. I weigh. Hell, if my legs are in the stirrups, I count the ceiling tiles. It's just the way I am. I count stuff.

I know there are people who don't need to count a thing, and that's cool. My only bitch is that in a community who counts it's freakin' macros to the point where people are neurotic about eating a damn apple, counting calories is considered a lesser behavior.

Now, if I were weighing my food and weighing my ... output, that would be neurotic.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I don't count. I lost the weight I wanted to on primal w/o counting. I tried counting once, I think it was a year ago and it made me kind of crazy and took the fun out of cooking and eating. It was also really annoying to stop when I was ready to plate up a lovely meal and have to weigh or measure the darn thing. No thanks!

I didn't have that much weight to lose and now I am eating to boost my thyroid and immune system so my goals may be different.
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
            1. Eating all real primal food and getting proper exercise (lifting, sprinting and a little bit of the mild stuff) actually does normalize your body, your size, your metabolism, your hormones and your health. You have to do all of it and you must give it time.
            2. A normalized body is rather resilient toward over/under eating.
            3. A normalized body may not look like what you think it should look like.
            4. You must choose your diet and exercise not on what you want to look like but on what makes you feel like the healthiest and strongest person you can be.
            5. Feeling great is way better than being skinny.
            Co-sign all of this
            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Thank you for your answers so far, really informative!
              I see your points and I can go with them. It's just hard to not-count. There have been times I didn't and wasn't big then, I've always been in the normal range of weight. Maybe I should start stopping?!?!

Would you mind if I ask a few more questions?
              1. How do you know what your surplus of calories is to gain muscle? Would't it be enough to eat as much as I should to maintain, if there is enough protein?
              2. Do you eat carbs around your training?
              3. If you do 1+2, isn't it just another "countng"?

If you measure your circumferences, how often do you do that?
              Dankeschön! (german for "big thank you", if you want to learn something new, too)

Comment

If my abs disappear, I drop some fat. Easy. I do track from time to time, mostly for kicks and to see how far over my RDA on nutrition I am.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by gergirl View Post

Would you mind if I ask a few more questions?
                  1. How do you know what your surplus of calories is to gain muscle? Would't it be enough to eat as much as I should to maintain, if there is enough protein?
                  If you eat maintenance level of calories for breakfast and then have 2-3 more meals, you're eating a surplus. If you stuff yourself full, then drink 2 glasses of milk for each meal, you're eating a surplus. It's not rocket surgery.

How does the logic follow that you can gain muscle without eating at a surplus? What will you make the muscle out of?

Yeah, usually some form of carbs. I don't usually have a schedule that's conducive to pre-workout meals, but my post-workout meal usually has a starch.

How do you figure?

If you measure your circumferences, how often do you do that?
                  Whenever I'm buying a weightlifting belt or other item that requires me to measure my circumference. Weird question.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Hmmm...
                    I increasingly feel tired of tracking. Feels apart from nature, you know?!
                    If I look through my food diary, I see that I always eat around a certain amount of calories during a week, some days more some less. Did I already find the right balance?My weight didn't really change during the last years. I step on the scale regularly - maybe that's enough of control?! Letting things go and see what happens?
                    i agree with this. i mean, after all, if Grok is the model of PB, do you really think he counted calories, macros, etc? doubtful. he ate primal foods and moved his body.

and yes, as someone mentioned above, too, counting leads to binge for me. so i don't do it. i eat primal foods and move my body. i'll get there when i get there. it's not a race.

(edited: if this was already discussed, my apologies…i didn't read the whole thread before posting.)

Comment

Originally posted by dazygyrl View Post
                      i agree with this. i mean, after all, if Grok is the model of PB, do you really think he counted calories, macros, etc? doubtful. he ate primal foods and moved his body.

and yes, as someone mentioned above, too, counting leads to binge for me. so i don't do it. i eat primal foods and move my body. i'll get there when i get there. it's not a race.

(edited: if this was already discussed, my apologies…i didn't read the whole thread before posting.)
                      Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there are cave painting style nutrient tracking drawings all over... I'm sure I saw that on NatGeo.
                      I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
                      SW (Feb 2012): 278
                      SBF: 26% (Scale)
                      CW (Sept 2015): 200
                      CBF: 17% (Scale)

Comment

OMG, accidentalpancake, you've just made my day!
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by dazygyrl View Post
                          and yes, as someone mentioned above, too, counting leads to binge for me. so i don't do it.
                          Oh yeah, there's that, too. I mean, if you come out under your target calories for the day, don't you think to yourself, even if you aren't hungry, "yay! I can have more chocolate!" Silly.

Originally posted by gergerl
                          1. I think if you make the surplus all or mostly protein, then it works out a lot better than if you just eat more meals or drink a lot of milk. I really believe the whole starting strength model of stuffing yourself and drinking a lot of milk is stupid, especially for women. What women really need is permission to get around 1600-2000 calories every day, most of any excess as animal protein. We're so well-trained to get 1000-1200 a day as salad and feel guilty if we get 1500 once in a while, usually as cookies because we've deprived ourselves of real food for too long.

I've seen a good rule of measure is to eat a palm-sized piece of meat, a fist-sized portion of starchy vegetable, a hand-sized pile of green vegetables and then depending on if you need more calories, a thumb-sized portion of nuts or fats or a small handful of fruit at each of 3 meals. Your hand will be in proportion to your needs. Men should double this.

2. I personally do not worry about carbs around my training. I usually will have a half a banana before training and a potato plus meat after, but that's out of convenience and I usually have the potato every day no matter what.

3. There's entering all your ingredients every day into some app, using a scale and measuring cups to be precise. And then there's keeping an eye out for general behaviors and trends. The latter is a little less neurotic to my own mind.

If you like measuring and counting then do it. It does tend to be more successful. I just can't do it very well. I tend to get bogged down in the calories being the most important thing and then I start spending calories on less nutrient-rich foods. I have to admit the red warning numbers next to cholesterol, fat and sodium bother me, too even when I know that they aren't important.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                            OMG, accidentalpancake, you've just made my day!
                            I aim to please.
                            I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
                            SW (Feb 2012): 278
                            SBF: 26% (Scale)
                            CW (Sept 2015): 200
                            CBF: 17% (Scale)

Comment

I track my food intake. It started out innocently but became an obsession and I freely admit it. I figure it is better to spend the time and effort tracking as opposed to overeating. I could easily stay in range without tracking at this point but I enjoy the sport. If I eat out I don't bother, so I am not crazy over the top. If I forget to track something exactly it isn't going to ruin my day.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post

Whenever I'm buying a weightlifting belt or other item that requires me to measure my circumference. Weird question.
                                Well...isn't there a relation between circumference (e.g. waist) and bodyfat?

Comment

Working...
                                X