Craving baked goods/junk food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craving baked goods/junk food

Recently I have been craving junk food-like chocolate chip cookies and baked goods specifically. I can't remember the last time I've actually eaten "real" wheat-flour & sugar containing junk food. I tried satisfying the craving by eating lots of fat-coconut butter, full-fat yogurt, salmon, full-fat cheese, avocado, olives, grass-fed beef, but it hasn't worked. I've also tried by having a day with more carbs of fruit and sweet potato but that didn't work either.
    I think it might be that I'm in college right now, and on my way to campus I always walk by the stores which smell of bagels & cream cheese, pizza, subway (which is gross but actually smells really good), and crepes.
    Sorry for the long post, but Any help for getting over the craving? I really don't want to give in and eat a cookie, because of the load of flours and sugar in it.

Eating more carbs generally might help. Seems like your body is craving for carbs. Eating a tub of butter isn't going to do much for a carb craving... Eating a few bananas might though.

Or just have a damn cookie once a week. You're in college. It isn't an all or nothing diet. Practice 80/20 or 90/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Last time I had this craving was when I was curious enough to try out a coconut flour muffin recipe, and it turned into a full-blown craving for them all the time. I would literally only make 1 or 2 coconut flour muffins at a time and it would restrict me to a few and force me to wait half an hour for them to bake. After a week, this craving died down and hasn't since reared its head. Maybe you could moderately have a few and not sweat about it, and it will go away.
      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

How about dark chocolate, or even milk chocolate? I just ate a lindt truffle and I don't regret it. XD Maybe sweet potatoes? I assume you have a microwave?
        Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

So maybe I should increase my carbs a bit? I've always tried to stay under 100, but maybe I'll try upping it as long as I stay within a reasonable range.
          I admit I feel guilty or anxious whenever I eat refined sugar, even in dark chocolate. Maybe I'm just too paranoid about too many carbs/a little refined sugar?

Comment

What does your workout look like? I think carbs are important if you want to be energized.
            If you workout a lot you should eat carbs. If I don't eat them I just end up as you were. I just cannot go without them. I gave up counting them, eat them even for dinner (try to limit them then, sometimes it works sometimes it fails). I didn't gain weight. Let me give you an example: If I workout on Saturday morning, I eat carbs the night before and start my cardio without a real breakfast (1/2 of a banana e.g., just to not workout on an empty stomach). I think I can give more then, might be just a psychological effect...but if I feel stronger, of whatever reason, I'm ok with it.
            If you don't workout, avoid eating carbs at night.
            Before anybody starts to contradict my opinion towards carbs: What works with carbs for me, can be "wrong" for others. I'm not going for LC, don't feel well doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
              So maybe I should increase my carbs a bit? I've always tried to stay under 100, but maybe I'll try upping it as long as I stay within a reasonable range.
              I admit I feel guilty or anxious whenever I eat refined sugar, even in dark chocolate. Maybe I'm just too paranoid about too many carbs/a little refined sugar?
              What is your activity level? What are your minimum caloric requirements? A sedentary 5'2" person doesn't have the same carb requirements as a 6' active person. Carb curve IMO fails here.

Nothing to fear about a tiny bit of sugar. You should be aware of hfcs but even Mark himself says "don't be afraid of a little bit of plain corn syrup" (which is basically the same as grains of purified came sugar).

Plus take it with a grain of salt if you must, but my cravin for junk food goes down as my consumption of plain sugar (a few teaspoons to fuel athletic performance) goes up. I have only had cake once in the past few months and it was for my bday in July. I just don't crave cookies and cakes the way I used.

------
              HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

All that stuff always smells better than it tastes. When I smell something delicious like that I just breathe deep and enjoy the smell.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

You could try increasing your carbs and see if it helps. Personally, I don't feel guilty at all about a bit of dark chocolate or even milk. It makes me feel better sometimes and helps with cravings. But this definitely doesn't work for everyone, I know some people on here say they can't have a bite of something sweet or they won't stop.
                  Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

If you feel guilt when you eat something you 'shouldn't' according to a set of self imposed dietary law, then i wouldn't rule out the option of speaking to a psychiatrist about an eating disorder. Anorexia isn't just about starving yourself. It's also part of meticulous adherence to a diet or exercise regime in order to maintain an often un-realistic self image.. A form of depression. Don't ignore it.
                    Refined sugar won't negatively impact your diet/life. All carbs are broken down to the same molecule of glucose. A carb is a carb. A cookie, albeit devoid of any decent nutrients, is another carb source equal to a sweet potato.
                    I sincerely hope I'm just being overly worrisome..

Comment

More like orthorexia. Yeah. I worried silently after OP's first post but I didn't zoom in on it, hoping I was wrong.

------

Comment

I totally understand, it's not even anything physiological I think. We have such a deep relationship with our food, sometimes you just want something bready for some deeper psychological reason. My advice is experiment with grain-free flours.

Bread has been one of the biggest losses for me, nothing sops up sauce and egg yolks like it. I have a coconut bread recipe I've developed based off the one in The Coconut Flour Cookbook. It's great with ham and cheese, and also with homemade low-carb strawberry jam when I want something sweet. The Primal Blueprint Cookbook has a fantastic pumpkin muffin recipe that uses coconut flour. I've also used The Coconut Flour Cookbook (replacing the sugar with a smaller amount of Lakanto or Tabletop Just Like Sugar). I recently made a low-carb Cranberry Walnut Quickbread using coconut flour and fresh cranberries that really hit the spot for a craving I was having.

I think coconut flour is great for most things. I've also started experimenting with plantain flour. I recomend "diluting" the coconut flour with 1/3 arrowroot powder to downplay the coconut flavor and lighten the final baked good.
                        My Blog

Food Photo Diary

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                          What is your activity level? What are your minimum caloric requirements? A sedentary 5'2" person doesn't have the same carb requirements as a 6' active person. Carb curve IMO fails here.

Nothing to fear about a tiny bit of sugar. You should be aware of hfcs but even Mark himself says "don't be afraid of a little bit of plain corn syrup" (which is basically the same as grains of purified came sugar).

Plus take it with a grain of salt if you must, but my cravin for junk food goes down as my consumption of plain sugar (a few teaspoons to fuel athletic performance) goes up. I have only had cake once in the past few months and it was for my bday in July. I just don't crave cookies and cakes the way I used.

My activity level is "iffy", as everyday is almost like a hike getting to all my classes, so in that sense I'm getting a lot of activity but it's almost like chronic cardio it tires me out daily that i can't actually do anything "primal" like sprints or weights. I also hurt my back so I'm avoiding anything that will hurt it. I get a bout 2000 cal/ day, and I'm shorter than 5 feet; hence according to the carb curve I feel as though 100g carbs should be right for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            All that stuff always smells better than it tastes. When I smell something delicious like that I just breathe deep and enjoy the smell.
                            Totally forgot bread exists, except when I walk by the baker section, then I remember...but find the smell repulsive for some reason. Bet nobody would eat that stuff if they didn't refine the hell out of it and stuff it with sugar.

Comment

I do not crave much, bread and pasta were surprisingly easy to give.
                              What I do crave is seasonal candy. With the holidays coming and all the sweet things on display everywhere...

I don't know how long I wild hold out but I come to realize that if the craving doesn't go away after a day or two it's best to give in. You only end up eating more of other stuff if you don't
                              My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X