No announcement yet.

Craving baked goods/junk food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yo i had so much ferrier rocher chocolate last night. destroyed my diet. but i've been a good boy today
    My interesting paleo weight loss blog

Comment

So how often do you guys let yourself slip a little? I see some people are super strict primal, while others are ok with a croissant occasionally. Just to gauge, do you not mind wheat every weekend, or do you limit to once a month, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
        So how often do you guys let yourself slip a little? I see some people are super strict primal, while others are ok with a croissant occasionally. Just to gauge, do you not mind wheat every weekend, or do you limit to once a month, etc?
        At first I was maybe 80-85% wheat free. Then after a year or so of mostly grain-free aside from white rice once in a while I stopped eating wheat because now gluten has as marked an effect on me as seed oil and xanthan gum do. I feel crappy and bloated.

Now wheat isn't a treat. It doesn't even appeal... So why bother?
        ------
        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

It's up to you. There are ways to make French toast almost primal. I made a variety of different cookies for the non-primal family member this Christmas. I've eaten a few, and I feel fine. All gluten-free, of course.

Comment

I eat gluten when it's worth it. For example, tonight, Katie's Yorkshire pudding to go with the Prime Rib. Totally worth it. My friend has a wood burning pizza oven in her kitchen. She fires it up in October. Worth it. Otherwise, I stay away.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

But to answer my 1st question, even if it's not gluten, but like a gluten-free cookie or something, how often do you guys indulge-like once a week or once a month? Recently, I have been "slipping" by going off my macros and eating a lot of carbs and sweet things once every couple days, which I feel like may be too often....

Comment

But to answer my 1st question, even if it's not gluten, but like a gluten-free cookie or something, how often do you guys indulge-like once a week or once a month? Recently, I have been "slipping" by going off my macros and eating a lot of carbs and sweet things once every couple days, which I feel like may be too often....
                I eat tons of carbs every day from fruits (yesterday I had 7 bananas, a mango, and some orange juice with gelatin).

Since I eat tons of carbs from whole sources I don't really crave crappy carbs.

When I was lower carb I had more cravings but nothing uncontrollable and can't solved with some bananas. I would have one day a week where I ate 7-8 bananas lol.

So to answer your question, I have had gluten free baked goods twice since April. Once was my bday cake. The other time I was testing a recipe with gelatin. I have had nibbles of a gluten brownie at a school event once since April/May but it tasted nasty so I ended up throwing 4/5th of the piece away.

Then again my diet nowadays is more peat + paleo than primal. It cuts my cravings way down though... 3 bananas blended with coconut water, cinnamon, raw egg, and gelatin fuels a morning of skiing.

Eta: oh wait I have had a few slices of gluten free bread... So okay maybe more like 4-5 times since April.
                Last edited by turquoisepassion; 12-26-2013, 07:43 AM.
                ------
                HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Recently, I have been "slipping" by going off my macros and eating a lot of carbs and sweet things once every couple days, which I feel like may be too often....
                  What are your goals and what are the carbs? Eating a lot of carbs like fruit, sweet potatoes and stuff, isn't "too often". They are a part of a healthy diet. It may impede weight loss for some people, but beyond that, you are not hurting yourself.

If you are eating things like coconut flour sweets, and they are replacing nutrient filled foods, that may be an issue down the road. But if you are just eating them in addition to your meats and veggies, and not gaining weight, I don't see a problem. Enjoy that you can have the extra calories.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                    What are your goals and what are the carbs? Eating a lot of carbs like fruit, sweet potatoes and stuff, isn't "too often". They are a part of a healthy diet. It may impede weight loss for some people, but beyond that, you are not hurting yourself.

If you are eating things like coconut flour sweets, and they are replacing nutrient filled foods, that may be an issue down the road. But if you are just eating them in addition to your meats and veggies, and not gaining weight, I don't see a problem. Enjoy that you can have the extra calories.
                    For me, I love all of the coconut flour items..
                    But problems only tend to arise when I don't have time to bake anything and am just looking for something quick.

I have found a few snacks (Tanka Bars, "Raw" food brand) that help fill the void, but it was certainly a struggle at the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      All that stuff always smells better than it tastes. When I smell something delicious like that I just breathe deep and enjoy the smell.
                      This is exactly my thing, too. My cravings go nuts when I catch a whiff of cookies or any kind of food I can't have (which is all the time since I work at a grocery store). However, the few times I've given in just a little bit, I noticed my cravings (in other words, me) really hyped up what it actually was and it wasn't worth it.

Alfi56, if you are already eating a small amount of healthy carbs, I wouldn't suggest eating more to satisfy these cravings, especially if they hit you particularly hard when you're smelling the goodies you have to pass by. It's not necessarily your body that really wants them, you know?

Comment

Yeah, I guess my "slips" aren't really considered slips because I do still stay primal, I just eat more carbs and fruit and dairy. But unlike Turquoisepassion, who is probably super active and taller, I am smaller than 5 feet and am not very active and can't afford eating that many carbs in one day. Ironically it's been harder to stay away from wheat the longer I try to stay primal, because I cut it out 6 months ago but it hasn't had a notable effect on my health. It's just hard to convince myself I should stay away from wheat because I'm still young and I am not gluten intolerant by any means, so I feel completely fine and don't feel the consequences whenever I eat wheat, which always leaves me wondering "well whats so bad about it if I feel fine?" Hence, the sweet cravings and particularly wheat cravings!

Comment

Yeah, I guess my "slips" aren't really considered slips because I do still stay primal, I just eat more carbs and fruit and dairy. But unlike Turquoisepassion, who is probably super active and taller, I am smaller than 5 feet and am not very active and can't afford eating that many carbs in one day. Ironically it's been harder to stay away from wheat the longer I try to stay primal, because I cut it out 6 months ago but it hasn't had a notable effect on my health. It's just hard to convince myself I should stay away from wheat because I'm still young and I am not gluten intolerant by any means, so I feel completely fine and don't feel the consequences whenever I eat wheat, which always leaves me wondering "well whats so bad about it if I feel fine?" Hence, the sweet cravings and particularly wheat cravings!
                          I'm not gluten intolerant either, unless I eat loads of the stuff, but if I chose to eat wheat, I buy 'ancient' grains such as Spelt, Kamut, and Einkorn. These grains are touted as being the closest, if not, original species of wheat before hybridization and mass production.
                          Being half Armenian (middle-eastern), I can't NOT eat bread at some point, so I make my own lavash. It's so easy, yet this forum would go up in flames if it saw 'Lavash bread recipe' in the nutrition section!

Comment

I've ate a lot of bad stuff this Christmas break. Worse than previous ones. Ah well
                            My interesting paleo weight loss blog

Comment

Everyone was enjoying their meal, and my eggs were good but really all I wanted was to just order big plate of pancakes for myself and eat it all and not give a crap. I know I'm doing my body good, but I feel like I would be happier eating whatever I wanted, despite the consequences. Has anyone had this just lack of motivation?
                              Dude, I feel this all the time. I work in an organic grocery store filled with delicious things I can't eat (that I used to just grab off the shelf and stuff in my face) and I constantly question whether or not I'd be happier just going for it.

The truth is, you do get an initial endorphin rush when you give in, and then when you start eating it's like some sweet forbidden heaven. Then not even a third of the way through it feels less like delicious triumph and more like "Was this really worth it?" and by the end the answer is "no, not really."

At least, that's how it is for me.

Comment

Everyone was enjoying their meal, and my eggs were good but really all I wanted was to just order big plate of pancakes for myself and eat it all and not give a crap. I know I'm doing my body good, but I feel like I would be happier eating whatever I wanted, despite the consequences.
                                Yeah...sometimes I wish I was gluten intolerant and felt like death when I ate grains. Instead, if I'm being honest, I feel a little better when I eat junk. I do a very strict diet with one cheat evening a week. It seems to be working pretty well. The key to the "cheat day" is it is full on cheat, not "oh, I had a sweet potato and pear". It's pizza, burger, ice cream. The trade off is that all week long is protein and veggies.

I'm happier eating like this than I was just eating primal.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                                X