Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Egg yolk color matters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Egg yolk color matters?

    Once and for all, does the color of the yolk matter?

    I've seen dark orange egg yolks coming from conventional raised chickens, and bright yellow yolks from seemingly good free-range organic chickens.

  • #2
    The dark orange you probably saw in eggs 'enriched' with omega 3's. That orange, is becuase they give them feed that his high in omega 3 in my opinion this is no good. Get a chicken of your own, let it forage for the bulk of it's feed... it's yolks won't look orange unless it finds a hidden bag of feed.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

    Comment


    • #3
      the orange could also be from marigold supplementation

      i've had free range farmer eggs that were pale, loose, wobbly and bad tasting. i've tried several brands of store eggs and most were sulphery and gave me heart burn.

      great day cage free is the best tasting so far. no heart burn, the yolks are firm and a natural shade of dark yellow

      so i think color plays a part. the gross eggs were really pale, all of them ranged in shades of pale yellow
      beautiful
      yeah you are

      Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

      Comment


      • #4
        I disagree. My free range chickens during non drought free-ranging have orange yolks that taste great.

        Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

        Comment


        • #5
          I have found that (except for grocery store high omega-3 faux healthy eggs) an orange yolk is also quite a bit firmer than a pale one. I have read that among free range birds, those that consume a lot of insects will have darker yolks. Not sure if it's true...
          50yo, 5'3"
          SW-195
          CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
          GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

          Comment


          • #6
            I've found good eggs can range between medium yellow to deep orange. As bloodorchid mentioned it really depends, and in my experience, the ones you know for sure are the bad ones are the pale yellow kind.
            My chocolatey Primal journey

            Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
              The dark orange you probably saw in eggs 'enriched' with omega 3's. That orange, is becuase they give them feed that his high in omega 3 in my opinion this is no good. Get a chicken of your own, let it forage for the bulk of it's feed... it's yolks won't look orange unless it finds a hidden bag of feed.
              When our hens free range their yolks are more orange. The firmness of the yolk (and how upright it is) depends on how fresh it is.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                When our hens free range their yolks are more orange. The firmness of the yolk (and how upright it is) depends on how fresh it is.
                Go buy some of the omega 3 eggs from the grocery, that's what I mean by orange. They usually resemble the orange of a rubber basketball or the orange Now uses on their supplement labels.
                -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

                Comment


                • #9
                  Depends.

                  I would be concerned if I my omelette was green.
                  Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

                  Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                  https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                  MFP Food Diary:
                  http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                  (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm not going to lie. If you have a blue-colored yolk, don't eat it. Seriously.
                    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

                    My Journal

                    Height: 6'3"
                    SW (Feb 2012): 278
                    SBF: 26% (Scale)
                    CW (Sept 2015): 200
                    CBF: 17% (Scale)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Shadowknight137 View Post
                      Depends.

                      I would be concerned if I my omelette was green.
                      Now now..have you not heard of green eggs and ham?

                      Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I got some hobby-grade free-range eggs from a friend and they not only stood up in the pan like golf balls, they were also pretty much RED at the yolk. IDK what those chickens ate, but those yolks were the creamiest, heaviest, most satisfying eggs I've EVER had. That experience has led me to associate darker with better.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                          I got some hobby-grade free-range eggs from a friend and they not only stood up in the pan like golf balls, they were also pretty much RED at the yolk. IDK what those chickens ate, but those yolks were the creamiest, heaviest, most satisfying eggs I've EVER had. That experience has led me to associate darker with better.
                          I agree. My pastured egg yolks are so pretty. How is aldergirl? I have not seen her in ages.

                          Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ever since the yolkling hatched, she's been busy feeding baby and catching naps between.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Go and read this study Cambridge Journals Online - Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems - Abstract - Vitamins A, E and fatty acid composition of the eggs of caged hens and pastured hens
                              Buy pastured eggs with orange yolks.
                              Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
                              www.primaljoy.co.uk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X