Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me that craves gourmet dinners?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me that craves gourmet dinners?

When I was younger and could eat anything I liked, I still remember being reduced to tears by a menu. You know the sort of thing: whatever you like so long as its deep fried or 90 percent pastry.

I would rather eat nothing than eat stodge like that.

Unfortunately, then I end up super hungry, tearful and grumpy. And not very good company.

There was just such an occasion today. I visited a cafe that I've eaten at before, hoping to have some salmon, but they'd rejigged the menu and managed to add gluten to all the meals, and eating gluten isn't an option any more. The place was really busy and I was too upset to complain to the kitchen staff.

The hungrier that I am, the higher I set my food expectations. And they are pretty high to start with. So I often end up disappointed.

I want at least two different vegetables, quality protein and a delicious sauce, preferably cooked by a five star chef.

Is it just me that craves gourmet dinners? It's pretty much the exact opposite of a carb craving.

Ya restaurants and barcode packages are pretty mediocre on average--the competitive pressure to sell low-cost oil/sugar/flour is just too strong. I look for dishes that are laborious or inconvenient at home--fresh seafood, distinctive stews, big vegetable blends. The restaurants I truly adore and not dread can be probably counted on one hand, mostly tiny immigrant-run delis and cafés like Korean, Somali, Ukrainian.

The backlog of home recipes I want to try is so long I worry I won't live long enough! The cooking blogosphere is a dangerous rabbit hole.
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

No, I actually went the opposite way. Now I want the simpler preparations, with no sauces. My husband really influenced me this way. Though I am starting to really crave curry. But we do not eat out at all.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I think I know what you mean... since I've become primal I sometimes have moments where I look around and think, "If this is all there is to eat, I don't want anything." Before, the thought of just going hungry wouldn't have occured to me. Although I'd say my standards are a bit lower than five stars, heh. But all we have is pretzels and bagels? No thanks.
        Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
          No, I actually went the opposite way. Now I want the simpler preparations, with no sauces. My husband really influenced me this way. Though I am starting to really crave curry. But we do not eat out at all.
          Have you made curry yourself?
          My diary comics
          My fitness inspiration blog

Comment

I make ten minute curries with store bought paste

Comment

Where I live, good meals are available for a substantial price. I understand that places like San Francisco have good eats at reasonable prices. Cooking at home has become what I do. I'd really love to eat at high end places, but I won't pay top dollar for shit food. Even if you have a show on Foodnetwork.com.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Have you made curry yourself?
                Yep. I worked a few dishes from the Curry cookbooks. The problem is that my hubby's and mine taste in curries run the opposite ways. I like green curries, with coconut milk and every spice on the list, with high chicken/fish/shrimp content, etc, while he is into the tomato-onion-based one with just curry powder/tumeric and the potato-carrots-peas combo with beef (basically as close to a replication to a fast-food option as possible). I also like tubers/cauliflower with curry spice, tumeric and cinnamon/cloves/nutmeg.

Tomorrow, I am experimenting with savory curried pumpkin squares for Halloween.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by poing View Post
                  Is it just me that craves gourmet dinners? It's pretty much the exact opposite of a carb craving.
                  No, I love good food as well.

But, I see two things here.

Firstly, why are you hungry at lunch time? You eat breakfast at home, right?

When we're having a 'date night', we are usually eating at about 8pm (usually before 6pm because of the kidlies). And I find that I usually only start to feel hungry about 7.30pm, when I'm sitting in the restaurant waiting for the food to come.

Secondly, I don't expect good/gourmet food from a cafe. I expect it from a high end restaurant.
                  Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                  5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                  Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                  TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                  bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                    Yep. I worked a few dishes from the Curry cookbooks. The problem is that my hubby's and mine taste in curries run the opposite ways. I like green curries, with coconut milk and every spice on the list, with high chicken/fish/shrimp content, etc, while he is into the tomato-onion-based one with just curry powder/tumeric and the potato-carrots-peas combo with beef (basically as close to a replication to a fast-food option as possible). I also like tubers/cauliflower with curry spice, tumeric and cinnamon/cloves/nutmeg.

Tomorrow, I am experimenting with savory curried pumpkin squares for Halloween.
                    Oooo, you just gave me a good idea. I haven't really ever worked with pumpkin, but I have curry paste, pumpkin and coconut milk in the pantry, soooo...
                    My diary comics
                    My fitness inspiration blog

Comment

me too, My really influenced me this way. Though I am starting to really crave curry. But we do not eat out at all.

Comment

I think I understand what you mean. There are a few restaurants in my area that offer a good variety of meat plus veggie meals. They are more expensive than, say, Applebee's. But recently a new farm-to-table type place opened and every single thing on their menu included some sort of grain. It irritated me so much I almost sent them an email expressing my irritation.
                        50yo, 5'3"
                        SW-195
                        CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                        GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

I cook better than almost any restaurant. You have to take me to some place where dinner for two will be $200 and then the food will be better than mine.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            I cook better than almost any restaurant. You have to take me to some place where dinner for two will be $200 and then the food will be better than mine.
                            Absolutely. There's nothing worse than feeling that you could have cooked a better meal yourself.

However.... We have an entertainment book which gives us 2-for-1 deals on all the best local restaurants. The deals don't seem quite that special in your book, but maybe there's some things there that work for you.
                            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              I agree. I can buy a duck for $15, roast it for hours seasoned with just salt, store a bunch of awesome duck fat, cook some vegetables in some of it, and wind up with a much better meal than most restaurants for cheaper than the average fatass spends for a "meal"at McDonald's. Gourmet food is usually very simple compared to cheap processed crap.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                              X