Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oats

What's people thoughts on oats??

They're tasteless. Rolled oats feels like some kind of glue paste in the mouth. Completely optional ...

Comment

I actually enjoy them on occasion. I make sure to buy certified gluten free oats, but as others will chime in, they are actually chock full of other nasties. I like them with a little real maple syrup, some butter, and some cinnamon.

Comment

I eat them because it makes life easier. You can take a packet of oats and get a cup of hot water about everywhere.

Note that USA oats are allowed to be transported in the same shipping containers as wheat, so commodity USA oats cannot be certified as gluten-free. Canadian oats or, what is more common in my supermarket, Irish oats, are gluten free.
        “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
        Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

I like to add a handful of raw, rolled oats to homemade ice cream or yogurt or such. I think they are pretty healthy in moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
            They're tasteless.
            That's my main issue. They do rank high on satiety (moderate fat and fiber) but nobody eats them plain. Once you stir in the sugar and cream you're looking at more of a high-cal low-protein dessert.
            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I haven't had them for a long time, but seeing this I am tempted to try again and see how my body reacts. I used to make it by cooking it in a mix of milk and water add half a grated apple, cinnamon, and vanilla, you don't need sugar doing it that way. Then pour more milk on when a bit set. I can't have milk anymore so would have to substitute coconut cream, not sure it will be the same though, that ruined rice pudding for me. I would still need to have more protein to balance out a bit more.
              Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
              Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
              Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Remember those 'no-bake cookies'? Those were basically sugar, cocoa powder, coconut flakes, butter, and rolled oats. I'll bet you could come up with a substitute for white sugar, if you avoid it, and they would be awesome. Now there's a way to eat oats!

Comment

Originally posted by honeychip View Post
                  What's people thoughts on oats??
                  My take: why eat them? There's a lot of higher quality / more healthy calories I could be eating.
                  Rebooted Body -- Ancestral Health + Modern Psychology | The Rebooted Body Podcast

Comment

Living on a tight budget as I do, I will add a handful of oat groats to my stews and soups ala barley. It thickens up nicely and adds calories for not much money and often extends a pot of soup 1 or 2 meals further which is all to the good when money is tight.
                    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

LOVE them. I created my own Müsli...tasty, healthy, filled with proteins and good fat. hmmm

Comment

Oats are rather contrary to Primal, I'd think.

M.

Comment

They are a grain. Not primal.

Comment

Doesn't matter to me. In my opinion they are good and better than sweets when I fell like needing energy. Not being primal doesn't mean bad. I buy the organic ones and do not care about PB at this point. They contain a lot of good stuff. Yummy...and they do well when cooked if you suffer from bad digestion.

Comment

I don't like them, and never did (and rice). I prefer millet or buckwheat because of texture and flavor.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                              X