Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Oats have plenty of nutrition. I could post dozens of studies on how oats are beneficial. And all they need is a spoonful of molasses and a banana.
    Take a look at the facts rather than high carb studies...they are a low nutrition food that are 70% glucose. They are only good when they are compared to other grains (even worse sources of nutrition...calorie for calorie they are VERY low on the nutrition scale and that is a fact.


    take a look at the nutrition score foe 100 cal of oats vs 100 cal of broccoli or any other veg and you will find oats are a sad sad sad source of nutrition.

    PS

    Please I dare you to to post ANY study that shows they are actually good for you in a non grain/sugar diet. BTW don't worry I won't be holding my breath because you and I both no they are not out there. A study that show eating oats is better in a grain based diet does not mean they are good for you, only that they are a more benign grain.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 11-18-2013, 11:59 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
      If we're being honest with ourselves, butter and coconut oil are nothing more than empty fat calories.
      Your point?
      Fat is an important carrier of vitamins and other nutrients. Plus it is vital for brain and cell health.
      There is no such thing as a essential carb but there are essential fats. And if you are looking for calories fat is the better choice hands down.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by gergirl View Post
        Reasons why I eat them, although they are not primal

        - Yes, they contain carbs, but the good slow ones
        - they contain about 15% protein/100g
        - a lot of fibre, keeps me fueld for hours
        -Vitamine B1,6, E - very good for all your nervous systems and cells
        - zinc, good for your skin
        -beta-glucol, fighting high cholesterol
        - cookes good for the stomach when you feel sick
        -calcium,manganese, phosphor,selenium, iron (teeth, bones, blood)
        - help raising testosterone by their contents
        -> better than almost any other grains
        What else can sportmen ask for??
        If you do not like the taste: roast them in a pan, look for recipes, with cinamon, coconutflakes, chia seeds, sesam,agave sirup...be creative
        I am not sure where to start
        The good slow ones???they are not good they just slow the sugar hit.
        15% protein in 100g???? That is by weight...that is 15g of protein in over 300 calories of sugar...that is a POOR source of protein.
        Fibre keeps you fueled??? Really? Most fibre is totally undigested....therefore there is no fuel at all
        They are high in those nutrients compared to other grains but very low when compared to veg.

        Really? Your argument on a PRIMAL site is that they are "better than almost any other grains" Guess what GRAINS ARE NOT PRIMAL
        Ow...there have been so many head desk moments it is getting very sad.
        Last edited by Dirlot; 11-18-2013, 11:59 PM.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
          Take a look at the facts rather than high carb studies...they are a low nutrition food that are 70% glucose. They are only good when they are compared to other grains (even worse sources of nutrition...calorie for calorie they are VERY low on the nutrition scale and that is a fact.


          take a look at the nutrition score foe 100 cal of oats vs 100 cal of broccoli or any other veg and you will find oats are a sad sad sad source of nutrition.

          PS

          Please I dare you to to post ANY study that shows they are actually good for you in a non grain/sugar diet. BTW don't worry I won't be holding my breath because you and I both no they are not out there. A study that show eating oats is better in a grain based diet does not mean they are good for you, only that they are a more benign grain.
          70% of calories from glucose is a good thing. Especially if you're trying to avoid the pitfalls of low carbohydrate diet.

          380 calories of oats.


          Thiamine (vit. B1) 0.763 mg (66%)
          Riboflavin (vit. B2) 0.139 mg (12%)
          Niacin (vit. B3) 0.961 mg (6%)
          Pantothenic acid (B5) 1.349 mg (27%)
          Folate (vit. B9) 56 μg (14%)
          Calcium 54 mg (5%)
          Iron 5 mg (38%)
          Magnesium 177 mg (50%)
          Manganese 4.9 mg (233%)
          Phosphorus 523 mg (75%)
          Potassium 429 mg (9%)
          Zinc 4 mg (42%)

          684 μg (86%)
          Vitamin D 60 IU (10%)
          Vitamin E 2.32 mg (15%)

          Good source of Thiamine which people are here often fall short on.

          compared to 300 calories of butter which people seem to use pretty liberally around here.

          684 μg (46%)
          Vitamin D 60 IU (5%)
          Vitamin E 2.32 mg (7%)\
          Vitamin K ?


          Oats are heart healthy and contain significant sources of beta glucan which can help fight infection
          A phase II multicenter, double-blind, randomized, ... [Arch Surg. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI
          And boost immune system function
          [The biological activity of beta-glucans]. [Minerva Med. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
          Immune recognition: A new receptor for [beta]-glucans : Abstract : Nature


          They also reduce heart disease risk by lowering LDL and LDL-p.

          Might be one of the reasons Mark puts beta glucan in his overpriced supplements.

          Comment


          • I don't see a lot of people shoving 3.8 tablespoons of butter into their mouths and calling it a meal. What if we compare oats to something realistic, like eggs, or ground beef. And those also have the added benefit of not often being brought up as foods that cause bloat and distress.

            Oats and honey make a nice facial mask - it stays on better than ground beef. So, in that sense oats would be superior.

            No skin off anyone's nose what anyone else eats, but avoiding grains is a pretty big principle of Primal.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

            B*tch-lite

            Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
              I don't see a lot of people shoving 3.8 tablespoons of butter into their mouths and calling it a meal. What if we compare oats to something realistic, like eggs, or ground beef. And those also have the added benefit of not often being brought up as foods that cause bloat and distress.

              Oats and honey make a nice facial mask - it stays on better than ground beef. So, in that sense oats would be superior.

              No skin off anyone's nose what anyone else eats, but avoiding grains is a pretty big principle of Primal.
              Yup.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                70% of calories from glucose is a good thing. Especially if you're trying to avoid the pitfalls of low carbohydrate diet.

                380 calories of oats.


                Thiamine (vit. B1) 0.763 mg (66%)
                Riboflavin (vit. B2) 0.139 mg (12%)
                Niacin (vit. B3) 0.961 mg (6%)
                Pantothenic acid (B5) 1.349 mg (27%)
                Folate (vit. B9) 56 μg (14%)
                Calcium 54 mg (5%)
                Iron 5 mg (38%)
                Magnesium 177 mg (50%)
                Manganese 4.9 mg (233%)
                Phosphorus 523 mg (75%)
                Potassium 429 mg (9%)
                Zinc 4 mg (42%)

                684 μg (86%)
                Vitamin D 60 IU (10%)
                Vitamin E 2.32 mg (15%)

                Good source of Thiamine which people are here often fall short on.

                compared to 300 calories of butter which people seem to use pretty liberally around here.

                684 μg (46%)
                Vitamin D 60 IU (5%)
                Vitamin E 2.32 mg (7%)\
                Vitamin K ?


                Oats are heart healthy and contain significant sources of beta glucan which can help fight infection
                A phase II multicenter, double-blind, randomized, ... [Arch Surg. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI
                And boost immune system function
                [The biological activity of beta-glucans]. [Minerva Med. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
                Immune recognition: A new receptor for [beta]-glucans : Abstract : Nature


                They also reduce heart disease risk by lowering LDL and LDL-p.

                Might be one of the reasons Mark puts beta glucan in his overpriced supplements.
                Hello,
                What is the point in comparing oats vs butter ???
                If I have to eat some say rolled oats (I always avoid being pushed against that "wall" ...), I cannot do it WITHOUT adding butter to it!!

                Oats AND butter >>> oats OR butter.

                Sometimes, my kids want rolled oats. I make sure I add plenty of grass-fed butter, honey, vanilla, and vitamin D. Regardless, they also have an egg or 2 and a banana.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                  Your point?
                  Fat is an important carrier of vitamins and other nutrients. Plus it is vital for brain and cell health.
                  There is no such thing as a essential carb but there are essential fats. And if you are looking for calories fat is the better choice hands down.
                  For the inactive, sedentary office worker who does paleo, your probably right. As far as someone with a physical job, heavy exercise, or both, to say carbs are inessential is a product of clever marketing gimmicks.
                  You'll eat your protein in abundance, but forget that probably most of that will convert to glucose.

                  Comment


                  • Not particularly efficiently, though. I don't know about "most", either. That's circumstantial.

                    Most of the forum isn't low carb, but the low carb ones are pretty vocal. I think most of us here are closer to the sedentary office worker (me, for example), rather than the physically demanding job types.

                    M.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                      Not particularly efficiently, though. I don't know about "most", either. That's circumstantial.

                      Most of the forum isn't low carb, but the low carb ones are pretty vocal. I think most of us here are closer to the sedentary office worker (me, for example), rather than the physically demanding job types.

                      M.
                      The folks who answered this poll: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97141.html were mostly low carb. 45.1% chose "Primal including the carb curve," and 9.8% chose "Strict Paleo with no dairy."

                      The Primal Blue Print as written is a lower carb way of eating. If low carb followers seem vocal, it's because this is a Primal forum.

                      Let's say someone was following a 1200 calorie/day diet to cut weight. Every third day, this person eats out with friends and it's usually pizza and beer or some such, racking up about 2500 calories on those days s/he ate out. At the end of whatever time frame, s/he complains the weight just isn't coming off the way s/he thought it would. That's because in reality, s/he isn't really eating 1200 calories per day.

                      I see the health benefits from Primal the same way. If you think you're eating Primal, just because you no longer buy HFCS, but you're still eating 40%+ carbs, especially if you still think grains are healthy, you may be eating more healthfully than before, but it's not Primal. And if you don't see results in health/weight loss, it's because, like the calorie counter above, you were only commited "sort of."
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                      B*tch-lite

                      Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                        The folks who answered this poll: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97141.html were mostly low carb. 45.1% chose "Primal including the carb curve," and 9.8% chose "Strict Paleo with no dairy."

                        The Primal Blue Print as written is a lower carb way of eating. If low carb followers seem vocal, it's because this is a Primal forum.

                        Let's say someone was following a 1200 calorie/day diet to cut weight. Every third day, this person eats out with friends and it's usually pizza and beer or some such, racking up about 2500 calories on those days s/he ate out. At the end of whatever time frame, s/he complains the weight just isn't coming off the way s/he thought it would. That's because in reality, s/he isn't really eating 1200 calories per day.

                        I see the health benefits from Primal the same way. If you think you're eating Primal, just because you no longer buy HFCS, but you're still eating 40%+ carbs, especially if you still think grains are healthy, you may be eating more healthfully than before, but it's not Primal. And if you don't see results in health/weight loss, it's because, like the calorie counter above, you were only commited "sort of."
                        but, 80/20. now please, for the love of all of us here, give it a rest.

                        Comment


                        • Primal doesn't involve pizza??? I am out.

                          Oh wait...


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          ------
                          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

                          My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


                          Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

                          " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                            but, 80/20. now please, for the love of all of us here, give it a rest.
                            Do I tell you what to post and how often?

                            80/20 is fine. Big honkin' bowls of grains aren't.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                            B*tch-lite

                            Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                              Do I tell you what to post and how often?

                              80/20 is fine. Big honkin' bowls of grains aren't.
                              your I-don't-get-it is showing. you should cover that up

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X