Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3-Day backpacking trip - need help with food ideas.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Grapefruits are one of my favorite fruits to take backpacking/climbing. They should keep just fine for several days. I don't usually bring bananas on long trips because they get squished easily.
    I also like to take a big bag (size depends on length of trip) of mixed nuts -- almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans.
    Homemade trail mix is also good (I say homemade because you can get dried fruit with no added sugar) ... pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flaked coconut, dark chocolate chips...
    One thing you can do (this will only work for dinner on the first day/breakfast the second, depending on where you are and how cold it is) is get some kinda meat and get it REALLY frozen, then just take it in your pack (put it in a plastic bag because it will sweat like crazy), and it should be thawed by dinner time.
    I usually bring butter/coconut oil (for cooking stuff in) in a seal-able tupperware container, and it keeps for several days in a moderate climate.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

    My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

    Comment


    • #17
      true, I forgot about the weight of stuff, so if I go do the tuna route I should get the pouches instead of the cans, less weight/trash (is that correct,) its been a few years from backpacking, I am totally excited, but have no idea where to start with packing, etc. I guess I need to do some research. thanks for all the help guys.
      (my weightloss blog)

      Started my Journey Sept 1, 2009
      Stats: 5'11", 365 lbs, 27 Years Young
      Total weight lost: 80 lbs
      Current weight: 285
      Goal 12/31/10: 200

      Restarted my journey June 1, 2014
      Stats: 5'11", 350 lbs, 31 Years Young
      Total weight lost: 0 lbs
      Current weight: 350
      Goal 12/31/14: 300




      Comment


      • #18
        I like the idea of frozen meat to cook when i arrive, great idea.
        (my weightloss blog)

        Started my Journey Sept 1, 2009
        Stats: 5'11", 365 lbs, 27 Years Young
        Total weight lost: 80 lbs
        Current weight: 285
        Goal 12/31/10: 200

        Restarted my journey June 1, 2014
        Stats: 5'11", 350 lbs, 31 Years Young
        Total weight lost: 0 lbs
        Current weight: 350
        Goal 12/31/14: 300




        Comment


        • #19
          lake for fishing

          Originally posted by souter26 View Post
          With Pemmican does that contain any grains, or soy. Any store bought stuff I can find contains those, and my body doesn't like grains or soy product anymore (sadly). Also the potato idea is great, if I liked them. Any other ideas. I too am going backpacking in oregon as well. No placed decided on yet, no one can make up there minds, and ideas on a good location, somewhat of a beginner to intermediate hike in would be great, as I still am overweight and just had emergency open heart surgery less then 11 weeks ago. We are hoping to go to a lake or river (we all love to fish).
          Having hiked the PCT in Oregon, I recommend Shelter Cove or Elk Lake Resort. Both are very nice.
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Guinness in one hand, steak in the other, yell 'Holy Sh**, What a Ride!" - You bet, I stole it!

          Date: 9/14/11
          Current Weight: 151.2
          Inches: 360.25
          Body Fat %: 32.7

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by souter26 View Post
            true, I forgot about the weight of stuff, so if I go do the tuna route I should get the pouches instead of the cans, less weight/trash (is that correct,) its been a few years from backpacking, I am totally excited, but have no idea where to start with packing, etc. I guess I need to do some research. thanks for all the help guys.
            This is a good source for backpacking information:
            http://www.whiteblaze.net/

            And when you finally get tired of sleeping on the ground (as I did in my late 40s) this site may be of interest:
            http://www.hammockforums.net/
            Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

            Comment


            • #21
              Pulse some nuts in a food processor and mix with coconut oil and some honey and/or dried fruit, which makes a delicious paste. Feel free to add some almond butter or potato flour or something to make sure it doesn't turn into a liquid on the trail.

              Jerky is always a good option, and you can also dehydrate canned wild salmon ($2.29 a can from Whole Foods). I've never made pemmican and don't intend to, as I've heard it tastes like dog food. From my experience backpacking, you better enjoy your food if you want to enjoy your trip.\

              Dehydrate some vegetables, fruits, and sweet potatoes. Take along some pre-dehydrated sea vegetables as well.

              Make a primal GORP; add macadamias, hazelnuts, almonds, raisins, dates, chocolate pieces (eschew cacao nibs and enjoy life), and other such fare.

              Nestle NIDO powdered whole milk is high calorie and light; don't neglect bringing processed foods, as a good treat after a long day is great psychologically.

              Comment


              • #22
                A heart rate monitor or heart rate watch would be a good adjunct to the low-carb higher fat food for backpacking.

                It is very easy when backpacking to "violate" PB principles by getting your heart rate into the 75% plus range for extended periods of time. If you don't watch it, you can spend a lot of time in the really counterproductive range of 85% to 95%, which should be reserved for occasional brief sprints.

                If you hike and backpack for extended periods in these upper ranges, you will need to burn carbs and you won't have any. If you refer to the HR monitor, you can hold yourself back to a pace where you stay in the 55% to 65% range where you will burn fat rather than carbs.

                Just a way of matching the fuel you burn to the fuel you have.

                You can get a Sportline heart rate watch in the exercise equipment dept at Wal-mart for about $29, and it is the type that has no chest strap. Or you can get an ordinary monitor with a chest strap. It will also help keep you alert to certain unusual acitivity of your heart such as tachycardia.

                The plus of backpacking or hiking at this fat burning pace is that you feel so good when you arrive, even when the trail is tough. You don't arrive with the total fatigue that you might otherwise have, and you feel good over the next several days and without the high recovery costs of extended time in higher heart rates.

                The negative of this pace is that you and others may find it slow, especially those folks who are driven to rush everywhere. And you might find it hard to maintain if you are pushed to keep up with others who are faster. I'd ignore the social pressure if it is there and just hike at a comfortable pace at an ideal heart rate.

                Some years ago I hiked with a group in the mountain west on several occasions. A few of us, including me, were always dead last to arrive at the hiking destination. Others were drumming their fingers waiting for us to arrive. It wasn't a matter of fitness, those of us who were last were at least as fit as the rest. But we compared notes and found something interesting and Primal. We slowpokes all had our introduction to the outdoors as backcountry hunters, mentored by older men. Whenever we were in the backcountry, we naturally walked cautiously, so as not to spook game, we stopped to look at tracks and sign, and looked for wildlife. The speedy folks had their intro to the outdoors through hiking organizations and came from urban backgrounds. So my advice, approach your walking on the trails as if you are a hunter!
                Last edited by Paleo Man; 07-10-2010, 10:44 AM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by hiker View Post
                  Having hiked the PCT in Oregon, I recommend Shelter Cove or Elk Lake Resort. Both are very nice.
                  Forgot to mention Diamond Lake (north of Crater Lake). Lots of fishing here.
                  "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Guinness in one hand, steak in the other, yell 'Holy Sh**, What a Ride!" - You bet, I stole it!

                  Date: 9/14/11
                  Current Weight: 151.2
                  Inches: 360.25
                  Body Fat %: 32.7

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I found some turkey jerky at Costco. It has soy and wheat, as well as lots of sugars. Plan to use it for snacks on the trail. Right now I'm dehydrating organic soups - lunches. I also have canned turkey to dehydrate. I cook and then dehydrate brown rice, barley, and quinoa (I know these are grains, but they offer variety) and add veggies and meat for dinners. Small bottles of olive oil and hot sauce go a long way in spicing up your food. On trips lasting more than a week, variety is the key.
                    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Guinness in one hand, steak in the other, yell 'Holy Sh**, What a Ride!" - You bet, I stole it!

                    Date: 9/14/11
                    Current Weight: 151.2
                    Inches: 360.25
                    Body Fat %: 32.7

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Paleo Man View Post
                      A heart rate monitor or heart rate watch would be a good adjunct to the low-carb higher fat food for backpacking.

                      It is very easy when backpacking to "violate" PB principles by getting your heart rate into the 75% plus range for extended periods of time. If you don't watch it, you can spend a lot of time in the really counterproductive range of 85% to 95%, which should be reserved for occasional brief sprints.

                      If you hike and backpack for extended periods in these upper ranges, you will need to burn carbs and you won't have any. If you refer to the HR monitor, you can hold yourself back to a pace where you stay in the 55% to 65% range where you will burn fat rather than carbs.

                      Just a way of matching the fuel you burn to the fuel you have.

                      You can get a Sportline heart rate watch in the exercise equipment dept at Wal-mart for about $29, and it is the type that has no chest strap. Or you can get an ordinary monitor with a chest strap. It will also help keep you alert to certain unusual acitivity of your heart such as tachycardia.

                      The plus of backpacking or hiking at this fat burning pace is that you feel so good when you arrive, even when the trail is tough. You don't arrive with the total fatigue that you might otherwise have, and you feel good over the next several days and without the high recovery costs of extended time in higher heart rates.

                      The negative of this pace is that you and others may find it slow, especially those folks who are driven to rush everywhere. And you might find it hard to maintain if you are pushed to keep up with others who are faster. I'd ignore the social pressure if it is there and just hike at a comfortable pace at an ideal heart rate.

                      Some years ago I hiked with a group in the mountain west on several occasions. A few of us, including me, were always dead last to arrive at the hiking destination. Others were drumming their fingers waiting for us to arrive. It wasn't a matter of fitness, those of us who were last were at least as fit as the rest. But we compared notes and found something interesting and Primal. We slowpokes all had our introduction to the outdoors as backcountry hunters, mentored by older men. Whenever we were in the backcountry, we naturally walked cautiously, so as not to spook game, we stopped to look at tracks and sign, and looked for wildlife. The speedy folks had their intro to the outdoors through hiking organizations and came from urban backgrounds. So my advice, approach your walking on the trails as if you are a hunter!
                      Good idea on the HR monitor. I wear the watch part, so I'll just need to remember the strap.
                      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Guinness in one hand, steak in the other, yell 'Holy Sh**, What a Ride!" - You bet, I stole it!

                      Date: 9/14/11
                      Current Weight: 151.2
                      Inches: 360.25
                      Body Fat %: 32.7

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X