Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Oz Show - Carbs cause Alzheimer's

In case nobody posted this...

Even mainstream knuckleheads like Dr Oz seem to be realizing carbs cause diabetes, heart disease, and now Alzheimer's. Raises blood sugar, gives you diabetes, rots your brain.

Do Carbs Cause Alzheimer's? | The Dr. Oz Show

Last edited by Selecting; 02-12-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Selecting View Post
      I don't mind it too much when someone is ignorant about something and they admit it -- but to be this ignorant and so strongly opinionated is insanity.
      This is a pet peeve of mine too.

TOO MANY SIGGABLE POSTS TODAY!
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

That is absolutely ridiculous... I was "keto-adapted" and let me tell you it freaking sucked. I train hard 3-5 hours a week and I am on my feet climbing ladders, carrying heavy tools, walking, standing etc for 9-10 hours a day. I need a minimum of 80g of carbs to not feel lethargic and sometimes I have 150grams. I feel much better, if my daily or bi-daily sweet potato is going to give me Alzheimer's then so be it.

Comment

Last time I checked Dr Oz was still riding the whole grain wagon. So he now hates carbs, wow lets pay attention! Its not like his show is a holy grail of pseudo science!
          http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Oz gives lot of air play to rubbish ideas if it brings in viewers. He even brought in Gary taubes and his quack theories because it brought "controversy" and interest. He brings in them all and he makes it entertaining for the general viewer.
            "Carbs" causing diabetes and alziemiers and heart disease is almost comical. Especially when people have been able to reverse diabetes and heart disease on diets that are almost entirely based on carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
              Especially when people have been able to reverse diabetes on diets that are almost entirely based on carbs.
              Credible Link?

Comment

Originally posted by joe2.0 View Post
                Credible Link?
                maybe they meant type 2
                beautiful
                yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                lol

Comment

Type II yes. Improving insulin sensitivity and coming of medications has been reported for decades on low fat high carb dating back to Pritikins early studies.

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
                    Last time I checked Dr Oz was still riding the whole grain wagon. So he now hates carbs, wow lets pay attention! Its not like his show is a holy grail of pseudo science!
                    We are still watching shows from 2010/11, so that means that anything interesting will not come up in another few year? DANG!!!
                    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
                      There is this term in German called "Volksverblödung", which roughly translates to making the folk less intelligent. That is the first thing that comes to mind when I think Dr. Oz.

Comment

Check out Robb Wolf's twitter rant Sept. 20 after the podcast came out. A listener got all worried about her carbs and he admonished her to do her own thinking. The zero tolerance for carbs stance is likely the result of the doc effectively using ketosis as a tool to reverse brain disease for many years. I loved the podcast, but Selecting makes some great (and troubling) points above. I was very surprised when he suggested Robb give up his sweet potato and get fully keto-adapted. Robb talks about this a little more in episode 203? with Kiefer of carb backloading fame.

Comment

Dr. Perlmutter has a long list of credentials, but he is first and foremost an integrative neurologist, who specializes in preventing neurodegenerative disorders, like Alzheimer's. As an APOE e4/e4 patient, I've been following some of the media blitz surrounding his new book "Grain Brain" and agree he tends to underestimate his audience and unnecessarily dumb down his message. I would be careful about assuming that he, is therefore "dumb." A good example is ketostix vs. serum testing. Yes, we all know which is more precise, but ketostix make a fine starting place for the uninitiated.

Selecting makes some good points, but is a little mixed up on the Robb Wolfe podcast. Rob is the one who defends the carb backloading ala Peter Attia. Yes, Dr. Perlmutter prefers keto-adaptation (there's certainly room for controversy there,) but as Selecting wisely points out, he doesn't specialize in advising "elite athletes" like Robb, but rather in preventing brain diseases.

If Dr. Perlmutter can turn around a "knucklehead like Dr. Oz, he must be doing something right Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer's! | DietDoctor.com

I also saw and purchased a few of mark Sisson's books in Dr. Perlmutter's office when I began my version of the Primal Diet eight months ago. Dr. Perlmutter fully supports the a Primal way of eating and is having great success with his patients. And, YES, there is plenty of research to suggest that a low carb diet can prevent heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer's. New research comes out daily: High blood sugar makes Alzheimer’s plaque more toxic to the brain

As a newbie poster (long time reader), I probably have no right to make this observation, forgive me in advance ; but it certainly seems as if a very vocal minority is overtaking Mark Sisson's message- at least in the forum.
                          Last edited by juliegee; 10-30-2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juliegee View Post
                            Dr. Perlmutter has a long list of credentials, but he is first and foremost an integrative neurologist, who specializes in preventing neurodegenerative disorders, like Alzheimer's. As an APOE e4/e4 patient, I've been following some of the media blitz surrounding his new book "Grain Brain" and agree he tends to underestimate his audience and unnecessarily dumb down his message. I would be careful about assuming that he, is therefore "dumb." A good example is ketostix vs. serum testing. Yes, we all know which is more precise, but ketostix make a fine starting place for the uninitiated.

Selecting makes some good points, but is a little mixed up on the Robb Wolfe podcast. Rob is the one who defends the carb backloading ala Peter Attia. Yes, Dr. Perlmutter prefers keto-adaptation (there's certainly room for controversy there,) but as Selecting wisely points out, he doesn't specialize in advising "elite athletes" like Robb, but rather in preventing brain diseases.

If Dr. Perlmutter can turn around a "knucklehead like Dr. Oz, he must be doing something right Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer's! | DietDoctor.com

I also saw and purchased a few of mark Sisson's books in Dr. Perlmutter's office when I began my version of the Primal Diet eight months ago. Dr. Perlmutter fully supports the a Primal way of eating and is having great success with his patients. And, YES, there is plenty of research to suggest that a low carb diet can prevent heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer's. New research comes out daily: High blood sugar makes Alzheimer’s plaque more toxic to the brain

As a newbie poster (long time reader), I probably have no right to make this observation, forgive me in advance ; but it certainly seems as if a very vocal minority is overtaking Mark Sisson's message- at least in the forum.
                            +1
                            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I tend to stay high-level on these topics...

Isn't the current thinking that Alzheimer's is a member of the metabolic syndrome cluster, and is really just diabetes of the brain? I don't have time to read this guy's book, and don't know if he's a wacko, but what he said seemed sane.

Yeah Oz had Taubes on before and was incredibly antagonistic. What's curious is that in this video he seems quite friendly to the paleo theory. Guess it's all politics and industry, today's it's "eat butter", tomorrow it'll be something new to keep the masses entertained.

Comment

Working...
                              X