Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it necessary to add oils in your diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it necessary to add oils in your diet?

I am trying not use any oils or butter while cooking and am not adding any to my salad. I eat steak, chorizo sausage, avocado, eggs, cheese, and a fish oil supplement. I make potatoes in the microwave and eat them dry. Is this ok or will my skin and hair start to suffer?

no it isn't necessary, as long as you are eating adequate fat from other sources (which it seems like you are) but why would anyone choke down dry salads or dry microwaved potatoes. perhaps a cooking lesson or 2 should be in your future?

Comment

Is there a reason you're not adding oils to your cooking? They taste so good....
      Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
        no it isn't necessary, as long as you are eating adequate fat from other sources (which it seems like you are) but why would anyone choke down dry salads or dry microwaved potatoes. perhaps a cooking lesson or 2 should be in your future?
        I screwed myself up VLCing for so long. It got me down to a low weight but now I need to figure out how to stay low while adding tons of carbs back in. You would be seriously shocked how delicious I can make things without oil!

Haha... I need a cooking lesson? If you only knew.

Comment

As long as you're getting enough fat in your diet, I don't think it's necessary to add any more. I lean more towards a vegetable-based version of primal and it's lower far than most people eat on here, but I feel fine. My body seems to prefer it.
          F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by JulieRUNS View Post
            I screwed myself up VLCing for so long. It got me down to a low weight but now I need to figure out how to stay low while adding tons of carbs back in. You would be seriously shocked how delicious I can make things without oil!

Haha... I need a cooking lesson? If you only knew.
            Dry salads and dry microwaved potatoes are enough information for me to know. I wouldn't feed bland nonsense like that to my dogs. You can eat carbs and fat. Not necessary to avoid fat bc you are eating carbs now. Why is everyone on this site an all or nothing personality?

Personally, I am a big carb eater and I eat plenty of fat as well. But I see no reason to ever overdo it to one extreme or the other. There is something to be said about relatively balanced macros. If you are worried about consuming too much fat in one sitting, perhaps butter/sour cream on the potato and eat a lean cut of meat with it?

Comment

Dry salads and dry microwaved potatoes are enough information for me to know. I wouldn't feed bland nonsense like that to my dogs. You can eat carbs and fat. Not necessary to avoid fat bc you are eating carbs now. Why is everyone on this site an all or nothing personality?
              You are wrong. If she puts butter on the potato, it becomes a "Bulletproof potato" and the Ray Peat people will lose their minds.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Dry salads and dry microwaved potatoes are enough information for me to know. I wouldn't feed bland nonsense like that to my dogs.
                Hilarious.

There is something to be said about relatively balanced macros. If you are worried about consuming too much fat in one sitting, perhaps butter/sour cream on the potato and eat a lean cut of meat with it?
                This makes sense and yeah I'm trying to find my way. But I cannot just add carbs into my diet and expect to stay the same weight. I seriously feel like I'm not missing out with not adding oils in. My macros are pretty balanced just with the items I mentioned. I don't eat as plainly as it sounds. For breakfast after a long run in the cold, I've been making chorizo sausage and fry the sweet potatoes (hashbrown style) in the juice from the sausage. So fried sweet potatoes, topped with chorizo, topped with sunny side up eggs. My salads are covered in balsamic vinegar and gorgonzola cheese - do not even know the oil is not there.

It is insanely good. But something's gotta give!

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  You are wrong. If she puts butter on the potato, it becomes a "Bulletproof potato" and the Ray Peat people will lose their minds.
                  Nuh ah, Ray Peat says to eat lots of butter on potatoes, actually!
                  | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Oils and butters are in general overrated in the primal community, but they are good to help putting on some weight if very skinny...
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                      Nuh ah, Ray Peat says to eat lots of butter on potatoes, actually!
                      Smiley face is kind of like saying "all due respect." It means I can say anything I want without fear of reproach.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by JulieRUNS View Post

This makes sense and yeah I'm trying to find my way. But I cannot just add carbs into my diet and expect to stay the same weight. I seriously feel like I'm not missing out with not adding oils in. My macros are pretty balanced just with the items I mentioned. I don't eat as plainly as it sounds. For breakfast after a long run in the cold, I've been making chorizo sausage and fry the sweet potatoes (hashbrown style) in the juice from the sausage. So fried sweet potatoes, topped with chorizo, topped with sunny side up eggs. My salads are covered in balsamic vinegar and gorgonzola cheese - do not even know the oil is not there.

It is insanely good. But something's gotta give!
                        I hope you aren't intentionally asking dumb questions just to get attention. Sweet potatoes sautéed in chorizo fat are a bit different than dry microwaved potatoes. And salads full of cheese are different than dry salads. If you eat those things, then you are probably ok.

Also, the idea of weight gain from adding carbs back in is silly. Sure you gain "weight" but unless you are overdoing calories, you aren't gaining fat. It is water weight. A number on a scale is a terrible way to judge progress anyway. Ultimately, everyone has to find a balance of what works for them.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          As long as it's bulletproof, it's still fasting. Just remember that. Lol

Comment

I'm frugal.... or maybe just a tight wad. Personally I cook my fatty meat first then just throw what I'm gonna be eating with that meat in the same pan (i.e. in the fat from my cooked meat) to cook..... that could be veggies, squash, starch.... whatever. It always turns out excellent and I don't have to spend one extra penny or pour any extra oil on it and I'm still a high fat guy. I use lots of EVOO on salad cause I must (bacon grease can work.... but not all fat makes a good salad topper). I use little butter and less coconut oil. My wife on the otherhand likes to "bake paleo" and goes through a literal ton of the stuff when its her day to cook.

Comment

All depends on how much fat you need and how much is stripped from your food. A lean steak is not exactly natural, but neither is pouring butter onto fish and rice.
                              I tend to use butters and oils as supplements: if I'm having very lean meat, I will use them. If not, I won't. For example, today I had plenty of cured meats, but also had about 700g of very lean roast beef. So I added 50g of butter to it, to balance it out a bit. If the beef had fat, I would have just ate the fattier cuts.

Seeing as you're eating your meats with the fat nature intended, it's unlikely that more is strictly necessary and it could even be harmful.
                              Stick to what you're doing, if it works.
                              --
                              Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                              I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Working...
                              X