X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How am I not starving???

QUOTED TO FIX THE STATS MISTAKE:
    Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
    So you got height and weight wrong. You are ~101 lbs and 5' tall, not 5'9" (at 1.55 meters).

So you're small, not dangerous for your height though, but you are still not eating enough for even maintenance. [...] Eat food, don't limit yourself unless you have physical reactions. Then monitor those and discuss with a doctor.
    So I messed up converting my height and weight. Sorry people! I'm around 101lbs and 5' tall!!

Hey people,

Excuse me for the weird title. It's not something I'm worried about, just something I wonder about.

In a day I'll eat:
    Breakfast (7:40 AM):
    Erhm... zip. Water. I don't get hungry until lunch-time at my internship. (Started skipping breakfast a week ago. Works out fine so far)
    Lunch (12:00): Either:
    2 hard-boiled eggs,
    OR
    (small) bowl of Full-fat Greek yoghurt (if I have it)
    OR
    2 apples (gotta use what I've got. Only eat them when I don't have eggs/yoghurt)
    But ALWAYS (kind of a snack around 3 o'clock):
    2 slices of young(? Opposite of aged. Lol) cheese
    2 pieces of salame/ham/chicken/etc. deli-meat
    OPTIONAL:
    Paté or goat cheese spread in between the cheese (the latter) or between the deli-meat. Whenever I feel like it.
    4 small squares of 72% dark chocolate.
    Dinner (around 17:00 or 18:00 or five/six o'clock:
    Usually a serving of mashed/boiled potatoes (around 2-4 potatoes), 1 (or 2 if lucky) pieces of whatever meat there is, and 2-3 servings of whatever vegetable/salad we have. Serving meaning a big serving-spoonful (I have no idea how else to explain it).

I'm usually not even remotely hungry at dinner and only eat because my parents would get worried otherwise. And because I'd be hungry at night (not that I'd notice it while sleeping) if I don't.

I filled it in on a calorie-counting site once and I think I narrowly reached 900-something calories. For the whole day. Protein and carbs were higher than fat, too. (But proteins were still higher than carbs, in some miraculous way)

Oh, wait:
    Female
    92 lbs
    5"9" ft (or 1.55 m. - if the converter did it's job right, that is.)
    Moderate exercise (stretches, walking, biking each day, but I wouldn't say longer than an hour and a half or so a day)

I do have ideas to crank up the fat/overall calories, so I'm not looking for advice on that, I just want to hear some thoughts about this, like: Is it possible that my body is frantically storing/holding on to fat because of caloric deficit? How the hell is it possible that I don't feel like eating a whole cow or something with that small amount of food (lunch)?
    Last edited by The_Introvert_Huntress; 10-30-2013, 02:15 AM.
    "Bread-Bread-Dinner
    It ain't makin' me any thinner
    I eat a sandwich for break-fast
    And then I have a sugar blast!
    I eat toasted bread for lunch
    And enjoy my mid-day crunch!
    At dinner I eat pasta
    And end my day with a sugar disasta!"

From the How am I not starving??? thread. Enjoy the read.

92 pounds at 5'9”? You may either be experiencing the physiological results of starvation (which don't include hunger) or you my have a physiological abnormality that drives you toward anorexia (which is commonly thought of a psychological, but is in fact probably at base physiological). What does your doctor say?
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

You have an eating disorder. You need to seek professional help ASAP.

Comment

How am I not starving???

Eating disorder. I am the same height and weigh almost twice as much as you, and I can fit into size 4 pants.

You are even lighter than every wispy fashion model I have worked with. Including the one we had to get a tailor to take in some 00 pants for. That is hella scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        ------
        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Are you sure you did the weight conversion correctly? 92 lb is only 43 kg.

Regardless of your actual weight, the loss of appetite is not a good sign if it's constant.

Is your sense of taste okay? Do you enjoy the food that you do eat?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Introvert_Huntress View Post
            Is it possible that my body is frantically storing/holding on to fat

92 lbs
            5"9" ft

Moderate exercise, but I wouldn't say longer than an hour and a half or so a day)
            If that's the correct weight, what fat?

Lack of appetite with those stats reminds me of the show Supersize vs Superskinny (yes, with the eating disorders) where they swapped diets and the really skinny people were "encouraged" to eat the much larger diet, of which was 10x the food they'd normally be eating. Miraculously, they'd get their appetite back by the end of the week.

Comment

I think you've got your weight wrong. Because if you are honestly 41 kilo with a length of 155 you are way too skinny!!!
              Now I'm all for natural weight but even by Primal standards you are 15 kilo's underweight.
              So maybe you should check that first...

Besides that, you eat way to little for a 18 year old... Your body is still developing and while eating Primal is very good for you, you need to eat enough to support your body. You can cut down on the carbs but not on the protein or fat. You need enough protein and micro-nutrients. Lunch should definitely be more.

After a week you might not feel starved but if you keep this up for more than two weeks you'll start to notice it. going into Keto might be good from time to time it's not something you should aim for at your age. with this little food there is a big chance you start to destroy your muscles and especially at your age that might be very dangerous.
              My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tiramisu. View Post
                You have an eating disorder. You need to seek professional help ASAP.
                Oops. Definately got the weight wrong. I'm 46 kilos!!! Not 41 or 43!! O_O
                I actually never get weighted by a doctor/phsycian.

How can I have an eating disorder if I love food??? Honestly, I'm genuinely full eating this way?!
                I thought eating disorders were anorexia (eating very little) and boulimia (binging and purging)?
                I do neither of them.

If that's eating little, then is eating 4 pieces of bread (2 at breakfast and 2 at lunch, with whatever filling) too little too?
                Because if so, then no-one never told me!
                No-ones ever said that I look underweight, as well. According to you guys, they're either blind or ignorant?

Seriously, all the replies saying "eating disorder, get help now" scare the hell out of me. I've been eating this way (well, the bread way) for years!

I have an appointment at/with a psychologist at the 15th of November. I'll track my food from 'till then and mention it to her.

Turquoise: I don't think I have size 00 pants. Sure, I'm at the S size (no idea what that is internationally), but there's XS sizes too and I've never fit in any of them! (I feel perfectly comfortable at the sizes I wear now, by the way)

I'm really confused right now... and a bit freaked out. O_O

(Sorry, gotta go catch my bus. I'll certainly check in later)
                "Bread-Bread-Dinner
                It ain't makin' me any thinner
                I eat a sandwich for break-fast
                And then I have a sugar blast!
                I eat toasted bread for lunch
                And enjoy my mid-day crunch!
                At dinner I eat pasta
                And end my day with a sugar disasta!"

From the How am I not starving??? thread. Enjoy the read.

Comment

Eat more food. Go weight training and gain a few lbs of muscle. Then maybe the fat will fall off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  ------
                  HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

No, no. Some people are actually TINY. Pics. And look online for measurements of your bones at the wrist, etc. I've seen people look healthy at very low weights. You might be one, and 900 calories might be plenty for you.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

So you got height and weight wrong. You are ~101 lbs and 5' tall, not 5'9" (at 1.55 meters).

So you're small, not dangerous for your height though, but you are still not eating enough for even maintenance. I'm surprised you haven't lost weight. And yes, eating only a few slices of bread a day is NOT ENOUGH. Honestly, I would eat less fat and more fruit or carbs. Some people can survive on very small amounts of food, but it can lead to problems down the line. Eat food, don't limit yourself unless you have physical reactions. Then monitor those and discuss with a doctor.

OP, no matter how scary people sound on the internet, trust your intuition first. People tend to flip out easily. I don't think you are really in danger, but now is a good time to learn how to eat adequately. Don't eat if you're not hungry, but definitely focus on nutrient dense foods. I don't think you have an eating disorder.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

I dunno; 101 at 5'9" sounds...unhealthy small.

Sent via F -22 Raptor

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                          No, no. Some people are actually TINY. Pics. And look online for measurements of your bones at the wrist, etc. I've seen people look healthy at very low weights. You might be one, and 900 calories might be plenty for you.
                          Yes, the OP is only 5' and about 100 lbs. That's small, but at that height, not dangerous.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post

So you're small, not dangerous for your height though, but you are still not eating enough for even maintenance.
                            Agreed, those stats aren't nearly as scary.

Comment

Which way were you converting from though Introvert_Huntress; from feet and inches to cm or from cm to feet and inches? Can you confirm your height, because if you are 5'9" then even 46kg is still really low for someone your height. I'm 5'4" and weigh 50kg and my impedance scales say I have very low body fat for a 18-40yr old female.

Ovulation can stop at below 7.5stone (47kg) because your body starts to think its starving and stops being able to conceive in order to ensure its own survival. Are you menstruating correctly? Can you see your scapula/clavicle bones (in your neck/upper chest) or your spine in the mirror?

As for the hunger thing, I've known anorexics (through friends of friends) who genuinely don't believe they have a problem and have just said they don't have an appetite; its part of the disease.
                              Last edited by MightyWindmill; 10-29-2013, 09:18 AM.
                              This is all just opinion. And it will have probably changed by this time tomorrow. Don't quote me on anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X