Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you black timber.

Comment

Caloric load that would not result in weight gain does not provide adequate nutrition for me, despite good food choices. I don't take vitamins, I get foot cramps. Tested a number of times (vit B and Magnesium).
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

AFAIK it is not too difficult to craft a diet that will give sufficient nutrients without excess calories. It takes offal and seafood to do it, along with other more common food. Magnesium is possibly the only hard one.

The thing is that many choose not to eat those foods but to supplement, often in an ad hoc way. Their choice, not mine

Sent from mobile
        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by brookcorbyn View Post
          About 99% of vitamins and supplements on the market are made in a lab. They are all synthetic vitamins that our body cannot absorb. The early man had no problem with getting all the nutrients needed to sustain a healthy lifestyle.
          However, you are assuming that we, modern humans, are coming to this diet as 100% healthy and functional. Sometimes, for whatever reason, our bodies can't or don't absorb nutrients from food if some aspect of our GI system isn't working quite right (assuming those nutrients are in the food to begin with, as others have mentioned).

For example, I have been a heavy meat eater my whole life and found out a few months ago that I have severe iron-deficiency anemia. A lifetime of eating red meat and green veggies and cooking with cast iron did not build my iron stores, yet for some reason my stored iron levels are significantly improving with iron supplementation in the form of pills.

Aside from the fact that our modern food and water is very different from early humans', our modern bodies are different, as well. Some respond very well to an ancestral diet with no added vitamins or supplements, while other bodies need something additional.

Comment

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
            Aside from the fact that our modern food and water is very different from early humans', our modern bodies are different, as well. Some respond very well to an ancestral diet with no added vitamins or supplements, while other bodies need something additional.
            Not to mention we don't really know what an "ancestral diet" really is, and how it varied from region to region. We only know what they did not eat: soybean oil, cream puffs, wheat, etc. and we try to avoid that stuff.

Comment

The only reason I wrote that post is because I have read other posts saying how it is impossible to get all your vitamins from food. Considering the amount of Americans that don't take vitamins but still eat the traditional SAD diet, I think I was trying to say that our lives don't depend on vitamins.

Comment

The only reason I wrote that post is because I have read other posts saying how it is impossible to get all your vitamins from food. Considering the amount of Americans that don't take vitamins but still eat the traditional SAD diet, I think I was trying to say that our lives don't depend on vitamins.
                The problem is that many vitamin/mineral deficiencies manifest themselves in very pernicious ways. Unless you have a terrible deficiency in something like vitamin C (scurvy), you might never know your health is sub-optimal.

Comment

Part of the problem is the distance our food comes from. Here in MD, an overwhelming majority of my greens at the local food lion come from Mexico. By the time these things are picked, processed and shipped up to me, a lot of their various plant compounds have begun to break down. Thus, that 1 cup of <whatever> doesn't have the amount listed online.

That's on top of questionable growing environment - just how much does the plant really have?

And that's on top of modern cultivars having different real material stored compared to what they're stated to have. There's been some reports that the variance can come in at 50% or worse.

It's good that you asked, though. I hope you stay around a long time and learn much. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                    Part of the problem is the distance our food comes from. Here in MD, an overwhelming majority of my greens at the local food lion come from Mexico. By the time these things are picked, processed and shipped up to me, a lot of their various plant compounds have begun to break down. Thus, that 1 cup of <whatever> doesn't have the amount listed online.

That's on top of questionable growing environment - just how much does the plant really have?

And that's on top of modern cultivars having different real material stored compared to what they're stated to have. There's been some reports that the variance can come in at 50% or worse.

It's good that you asked, though. I hope you stay around a long time and learn much. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

M.
                    What the USDA basis its nutritional profiles on will be store bought foods, not the farm fresh variety grown on pristine land, and shipped to the scientist within a day of picking. This of course means that the vegetables you buy can be more nutritious, or less, than what was tested.
                    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I take vitamins and protein powder everyday. To get all the vitamins and protein i need, the amount of food i need to consume is way too much. So sticking to a strict paleo diet is impossible for me. Thought it can get expensive over time so go use the coupons at www.growingdeals.com/healthy-directions-coupons to save what you can.
                      Last edited by Mercury713; 11-02-2013, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Whats your view on fish oil? I used to take it, but read in the perfect health diet book that studies have shown supplements aren't really effective, or have downsides (eg prostate cancer). Although this may be due to vegetable oil fillers, apparently; but how do I know whats in the capsule? It doesn't actually say!

Comment

Avoid fish oil and eat oily fish. The fish oil supplements have oxidised into more dangerous substances by the time you ingest them. Omega 3s from fish oil are only really of use in undoing/ preventing damage done by omega 6
                          Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
                          www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                            For example, I have been a heavy meat eater my whole life and found out a few months ago that I have severe iron-deficiency anemia. A lifetime of eating red meat and green veggies and cooking with cast iron did not build my iron stores, yet for some reason my stored iron levels are significantly improving with iron supplementation in the form of pills.
                            You can also eat more offal instead of just muscle meat to get a better absorption and higher amount of iron.
                            Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
                              What the USDA basis its nutritional profiles on will be store bought foods, not the farm fresh variety grown on pristine land, and shipped to the scientist within a day of picking. This of course means that the vegetables you buy can be more nutritious, or less, than what was tested.
                              I wasn't aware of this; I've been under the impression that much of our stuff is quite old, too.

M.

Comment

In today's world, supplementing with a vitamin and mineral supplement is a must. It's quite hard to get a complete vitamin and mineral content
                                I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Getting fit is also about managing your mindset:
                                http://getfitmindset.com

Comment

Working...
                                X