Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hubby's Cholesterol is Suddenly Sky High!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubby's Cholesterol is Suddenly Sky High!

My husband and I have been eating low carb (less than 50g per day), high healthy fat (135g per day) and moderate protein (100g per day) for over one year.

He just called me from the doctor's office and told me that his test results came back and showed that his cholesterol is 300! Several months ago, it was right around 200. I have not seen the printout yet, so I don't know the full story, but I am in shock, and so is his doctor, who wants him to start statins right now. The doc says he is in danger of having a heart attack.

Before we started low carb, he was on 3 different meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol, but was able to get off of them after a few months of low carb.

I can't imagine how there could be a jump like this out of the blue! I feel like he should be tested again, because this can't be right.

Any ideas? Has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks!
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

total cholesterol shouldn't matter, its the levels of hdl, pattern A ldl, and pattern B ldl that do. have your husband get a vap test or nmr to determine his ldl particle size. if his ldl is mostly pattern a, there is nothing to really worry about

Comment

Yes, total number is very misleading. You need to kow his HDL, LDL, and his triglycerides. Then he needs a VAP test to determine the particle size of the LDL. By the way, I wouldn't trust any doctor who would insist on statins based on ONE test and no VAP test--and who uses scare tactics to get the patient to comply.

One example--My total cholesterol is "high"--in the 260 range, but my HDL is always between 75-85, and my triglycerides are always <60. a recent VAP test showed that my LDL is 100% "Pattern A"--which is heart protective--i.e., the 'good' kind. My doctor says that he typically finds this when the person's HDL is high and trigs are low. Thus my 'high' LDL is actually a good thing, but for years I've had doctors suggest statins to me because of the total number.

Of course, if all these tests show that he still needs cholesterol meds, it would be because of a genetic problem with his body's manufacturing of cholesterol. When that happens, the cholesterol is not related to the person's diet. However, if he previously lowered his cholesterol with diet, it seems likely that he does not have this problem.

Comment

Please read Griff's cholesterol primer thread.

Comment

Seconded...you/he needs to read Griff's primer on cholesterol thread. He explains in detail how to interpret test results as well as why the results themselves are often poor/inaccurate indicators of health.

Comment

If he has gone off cholesterol-reducing meds recently, that could make the numbers higher. (There is no real proof that such meds actually reduce anyone's risk of a heart attack for most people... they just make the numbers look better.)

Definitely talk to the doctor about what it all means. And definitely push back on the statins. Good luck.

Comment

Please read Griff's cholesterol primer thread.
              What is this? Where do I find it?
              Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2

Comment

Thanks, everyone! HBill 05-11-10 page.jpg

Here is the printout. Any thoughts?
                  Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I can't see the link you inserted. It says "Attachments pending approval" and if I click on it, it says invalid link.....

Anyhoo, what time of year was his cholesterol last checked? How's his 25(OH)D? This is known to affect crp, one of the cholesterol components (never can remember which one) and triglycerides.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Tryglicerides normal at 84 (range 0-100)
                      Total cholesterol high critical at 303 (range 0-170)
                      HDL normal at 47 (range 40-80)
                      LDL high critical at 237 (range 0-100)
                      VLDL normal at 19 (range 0-30)
                      APOB100 high critical at 159 (range 0-109)
                      Lipoprotein normal at 4 (range 0-10)
                      Real-LDL size pattern is normal at A (range A).
                      Cardiac Risk is high critical at 6.45 (range 0-1)
                      Insulin resistance is normal at 1.79 (range 0-1)
                      Fasting Blood Sugar is high critical at 107 (range 70-85)
                      Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Bird Goddess!
                        Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

We need to know the breakdown of his numbers to give any intelligent advice. But here's two tips: Total numbers don't matter; ratios do. And LDL size matters, not number of LDL particles. If his doctor doesn't know that, he's hardly alone - but find a doctor who recognizes that cholesterol ratios are the important thing.
                          Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

I'm sorry, Griff... I thought that what I posted in post #12 was the breakdown of his numbers. What is missing?
                            Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

It seems that the Pattern of LDL was determined and it is all A. There is nothing to worry on that count.
                              The trouble seems to be with Insulin Resistance. It seems to be high. I wouldn't know how to read the numbers though.
                              Fasting is also high.

I guess the numbers show that he was prediabetic, and is recovering nothing wrong there.
                              Nothing wrong with Cholesterol though, except HDL is low.

I have the same problem with Cholesterol. It is too low at 27.
                              I don't know how to increase it.

Could Vitamin C help?

Comment

Working...
                              X