Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hubby's Cholesterol is Suddenly Sky High!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not 'prescribing' any diet at all--just trying to get a handle on the OPs concerns. And every doctor I've spoken to agrees that Pattern A LDL is as good as HDL in terms of worrying about numbers. I'm not talking about what it does but whether or not a person should be concerned about lowering it.

The high CRP is much more of an issue, in my opinion, and one that can be addressed with lifestyle adjustments. I'd suggest that the OP do a little research on lowering CRP because that should also affect the cholesterol--to the extent that diet has an effect.

Comment

I'd try a whole foods source of protein. More eggs for him or something like that. The processed nappy stuff in most protein drinks could easily lead to inflammation, and poor cholesterol ratios are simply indicators that cholesterol is being needed to control inflammation.

The increasing triglycerides would be my biggest concern. Are you together for all your meals? I know my husband had no idea how much sugar/grains I scarfed down when he was at work before I got my carb cravings under control. If I'm way off base, just ignore that.

Nobody needs a diet high in saturated fat
      I beg to differ. Tell that to the countless numbers of us whose health took a dramatic turn for the better simply because we increased our consumption of natural saturated fat. Even the simplest of effects, satiety, was enough to curb carb cravings for half the day, just by switching from skim to whole milk during breakfast, for me. That alone made a dramatic improvement in my health.

Weston Price found the cultures he studied ate TEN times as much of the fat-soluble vitamins as the Americans of his day (who had never gone low-fat), and they weren't doing it on gobs and gobs of polyunsaturated fats or even on olive oil.
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post

"Nobody needs a diet high in saturated fat"

I beg to differ. Tell that to the countless numbers of us whose health took a dramatic turn for the better simply because we increased our consumption of natural saturated fat. Even the simplest of effects, satiety, was enough to curb carb cravings for half the day, just by switching from skim to whole milk during breakfast, for me. That alone made a dramatic improvement in my health.
        I think that for the most part, eating more saturated fat has benefits in many people because they're eating less other stuff that's causing problems. Fat-soluble vitamins not withstanding - you don't need to drown carrots in butter in order to be able to absorb the vitamins. And if, as it seems to be in the person this thread is about, saturated fat causes problems - there are the mono-unsaturated fats as a viable alternative.
        MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

The high CRP is what stands out for me. If he has inflammation then surely the place to start is reducing that? How long has he been gluten free? Is there any other clear reason for this?
          My primal journal
          You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
          In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
            I think that for the most part, eating more saturated fat has benefits in many people because they're eating less other stuff that's causing problems. Fat-soluble vitamins not withstanding - you don't need to drown carrots in butter in order to be able to absorb the vitamins. And if, as it seems to be in the person this thread is about, saturated fat causes problems - there are the mono-unsaturated fats as a viable alternative.
            You may have missed where I said the only thing I changed was switching from skimmed to whole milk and immediately my carb cravings disappeared for the first half of every day.

The fat-soluble vitamins are *precisely* why you need all that butter on your carrots. Unless there are a lot of other fats high in monounsaturated fatty acids, but not high in polyunsaturated, other than olive oil & lard, then you're limiting most fats out there, b/c you shouldn't cook with olive oil. So what happens for all those without hogs? Olive oil & lard are not rich sources of the crucial fat-soluble activator K2, either.

This is an odd forum to be proposing limiting saturated fats. I don't have the time to get into a debate - literally, I'm homeschooling five children over here! - but I think the OP will do well to focus on the signs of inflammation: high triglycerides & CRP are not to be taken lightly. The *first* place to look, imo, would be the processed breakfast drink. Where is the *scientific* evidence that there are people in whom high sat fat intake increases cholesterol numbers that lead to increased risk of a cardiac event?
            5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
            Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
            Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
            Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
            ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Working...
            X