Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hubby's Cholesterol is Suddenly Sky High!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband is only 5'7" tall, and when he tried eating more, he gained.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Yes, all those calorie calculators are flawed because individuals are unique. Your husband is doing the right thing if his weight is stable.

His thyroid numbers are fine, so no problem there.

One thing to keep in mind is that our cholesterol is only slightly affected by what we eat--which is why people with cholesterol issues have problems with control by lifestyle. Cholesterol is part of our genetic inheritance, and the numbers are primarily produced by the body. In fact, there is evidence that when an individual tries to 'lower' cholesterol with diet, the body simply produces more to compensate.

But if your husband's LDL is actually all Pattern A (which is what seems to be indicated in the test results you posted), then he's fine. Pattern A is heart protective, and the high number is meaningless.

One reason your doctor may be overreacting is the way lab reports particle size. My own VAP test showed that my LDL was 100% Pattern A, and my endo (who ordered the test) was delighted with the results. However, the lab report had 'warnings' all over it because of my 'high" numbers. I asked my endo why this was presented so negatively when we know it's good news. He said that the reports are generated entirely by the numbers alone without regard to the meaning of the numbers.

My standard lab reports have a 'warning' about my high HDL (95 on last test), although my endo said he was jealous of my high number.

My point is that if your doctor is just looking at the lab's 'recommendations' without considering the actual meaning of the results, he's not a doctor whose advice I'd follow.

He's not unusual, however. After my VAP test, I gave a copy of the results to my primary, who always commented on my 'high' cholesterol, and despite that, on my next visit, he again suggested he was 'concerned' about my high LDL. When I referred to the VAP result, he looked confused and just dropped the subject. Some of them just don't 'connect' things--and thus can't be relied on for diagnosis!

Comment

Thanks for your thoughtful response!

As you saw, my cholesterol is only 203, and all the ratios are good, and yet my doctor just gave me a sheet yesterday of all the ways I can bring down my cholesterol. Sheesh! Why should I bring it down? It's good!

Now, my husband's ratios are not good, so that's different. And, yes, he is pattern A.

One weird thing is that his cholesterol was around 200 when he ate high carb high fat garbage, and it only went high when he started eating low carb high fat. So that makes me wonder about the genetic thing - if it was genetic, it would have always been high, wouldn't it? And the fact that it only went up when eating this way makes me think it is not a coincidence.

Puzzling...
        Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

His thyroid numbers look pretty good. His Free T4 is at midrange. His Free T3 is a little lower at 37% of its range.

Comment

Was he Pattern A before when he was eating a SAD? If you have the full cholesterol results from his "lower" number, post those. If it's all pattern A now, I'm not sure why you're concerned? Or why he's concerned?
            Last edited by bionicsamm; 12-18-2010, 03:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

No, sorry, I don't have those numbers. I guess I am just concerned because his ratios are off. And then part of me believes that cholesterol doesn't matter anyway, so I shouldn't care no matter how high it gets.
              Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I think the fact that it has changed significantly, and in a different direction than yours while eating the same, is weird. If the only thing he's doing differently is protein shakes, maybe he can ditch those for whole food protein sources and see what happens.

Comment

We might try that. Thanks!
                  Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Please please, no statins! They're the fast lane to nerve damage. Average time to a wheelchair, an instructor once told us, is 5-7 years. And he is in clinical practice, not academia.

What that doc REALLY needs to be checking is Homocysteine (although, practically hardly any docs actually do, because Homocysteine levels don't respond to any current pharmaceutical drugs). Chances are, Homocysteine is what's high and if that's the case, there's a problem with methylation, or the re-conversion of Homocysteine back into other things. Beef up on a large high-quality B-vitamin supplement (especially B6, B12, and folic acid) for starters and try to get the inflammation down (usually balancing blood sugar/insulin and supplementing with extra Omega-3s goes a long way).

Also, it *should* go without saying, but I've seen patients mis-diagnosed with high cholesterol when they don't have ANYTHING of the sort, simply because the doc forgot to tell them to FAST for 12 hours before having the blood drawn for the lipid panel. So, make sure that any time they're going to check cholesterol that you've fasted (water only) for 12 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by RSL View Post

One weird thing is that his cholesterol was around 200 when he ate high carb high fat garbage, and it only went high when he started eating low carb high fat. So that makes me wonder about the genetic thing - if it was genetic, it would have always been high, wouldn't it? And the fact that it only went up when eating this way makes me think it is not a coincidence.

Puzzling...
                      You misunderstood what I said regarding genetics. What I meant was that some people are genetically disposed to react to higher intake of saturated fat with increased cholesterol and generally worse health markers (triglycerides, LDL). What you described would be in line with that - such persons might increase their health by reducing saturated fat and increasing carbs. That doesn't mean refined/grain-based stuff - my recommendation would be (sweet) potatoes.
                      MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

Also, it *should* go without saying, but I've seen patients mis-diagnosed with high cholesterol when they don't have ANYTHING of the sort, simply because the doc forgot to tell them to FAST for 12 hours before having the blood drawn for the lipid panel. So, make sure that any time they're going to check cholesterol that you've fasted (water only) for 12 hours.
                        He was fasting, but thanks for the info!
                        Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

You misunderstood what I said regarding genetics. What I meant was that some people are genetically disposed to react to higher intake of saturated fat with increased cholesterol and generally worse health markers (triglycerides, LDL). What you described would be in line with that - such persons might increase their health by reducing saturated fat and increasing carbs. That doesn't mean refined/grain-based stuff - my recommendation would be (sweet) potatoes.
                          You're right - I did misunderstand what you meant. I was thinking about people who have high cholesterol genetically.

The idea that he will have to cut down on sat fat is pretty frightening. How in the world would I have to start cooking for the two of us? High sat fat is good for me and low sat fat is good for him? So he gets no butter and only lean meat, etc., limited eggs.

If this is true, it's a nightmare. I don't even know what a low sat fat, low carb way of eating would look like. If he even looks at a sweet potato, he gains weight.

And what if it turns out that high cholesterol does not even matter in the first place? So now I'm going to kill myself trying to cut down his sat fat while keeping mine high, and he will be miserable and feeling deprived. And all for nothing.

I hate this. Just when you think that you have finally found the way to eat for the rest of your life, and then the whole thing falls apart.
                          Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I'm still not understanding your concern. If his LDL is Pattern A, that means that it's not negative--Pattern A LDL is actually heart protective, so the high number is actually a good thing.

Yes, the lab report with flag the number as "high" as though it's negative, but lab reports also do that for high HDL, which we know is not negative at all. If your doctor is reacting to the lab report's flags--he's wrong!

Saturated fat will raise both HDL and Pattern A LDL--but that's a good thing, not bad. You need to understand this and get beyond conventional thinking about this issue.

If you are still concerned, have the doctor run a test of C-Reactive Protein (CRP). That's been proven to be far more predictive of heart issues than cholesterol numbers.

Comment

His CRP is high.
                              Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Nobody needs a diet high in saturated fat ... for most people who don't react badly to it, it's basically a neutral macronutrient, besides the obvious fact that it contains a lot of calories.

The obvious alternative is mono-unsaturated fat ... for example olive oil. You could both try to use more of that for a month, and then check the health markers again. As for "If he even looks at a sweet potato, he gains weight.": I think that this isn't necessarily true - of course if he eats that sweet potato on top of the current diet, then it might be true.

@emmie: I think you should be a little bit more careful in your recommendations - some people think that pattern A LDL (the "fluffy" stuff) protects against CVD or atherosclerosis, but it's not a scientific fact. The jury is pretty much still out there, and conventional wisdom is not automatically wrong - particularly when you take in account that people can have genetic differences, prescribing a one size fits all diet in complete disregard of health markers - sounds a bit presumptuous to me.
                                MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X