Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't eat as many raw veg as I'd like I do think tey are powerfully nutritious. Mainly I eat carrot and celery, plus salads. I eat a lot of wild spring greens when I get the chance.
    Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

6 weeks ago I started eating almost entirely raw and have noticed some really nice improvements. More energy, extremely stable energy, greatly increased mood, clearer thinking and strong cravings for healthy foods.

I had already been eating primal for many years, so this isn't just the switch off unhealthy foods.

I'm not eating vegan though. I drink lots of raw milk, eat raw liver, and sometimes low temp dried beef jerky. Most of the veggies I'm eating are in the form of freshly made green juices and a reasonable sized salad. A good amount of fruit, not many nuts or seeds. Some raw coconut oil too. If I really crave something I will eat cooked food sometimes. It is usually some veggie soup, potato or yam. I'm into listening to my body not giving myself rules anymore. Eating raw is what my body craves right now it is not something I have to tell myself to do.
      PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

I do not eat many raw vegetables. I can't understand how people can eat so much raw kale. It's like chewing on cellulose. I've tried making juice. I have a fancy centrifugal juicer. The thing scares the hell out of me because it once flung itself across the kitchen. It's also incredibly time-consuming to clean. I really prefer my vegetables cooked. They don't have to be cooked to death, just made easier to chew and digest. Fruit, of course, is nice raw. I like to put raw fruit in my salad. Salad made of lettuce, not kale, with tomatoes, avocados, peppers, onions, pine nuts and whatever other goodies. Good salad fruits: fresh figs, raisins, grapes, apples, pears (oh wow, with bleu-cheese crumbles).
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikee5 View Post
          I've had a very similar experience. I started with Atkins and a more ketogenic based diet in the hope of controlling my cravings and finally experience the energy boost every one had been raving about (in reality I was restricting calories, getting into vicious binging cycles, trying to compensate with overexercising and still gaining weight). I felt awful, lifeless and drained.

I did the classic Atkins induction phase and by the end of my first week my left arm got numb and it wouldn't function (I later realised this was an electrolyte imbalance or depletion despite following all the suggestions, drink more water, add salt to foods etc.). It stressed me out so much and I became a wreck, yet I would not blame the diet. I was clinging onto this hope that Atkins was the absolute miracle and fat IS the preferred source of fuel. Basically low-carb dogma repeated in every forum, every post and EVERY book. My life turned into hell, but the anorexic in me wanted to stay faithful to the program in the hopes of low carb turning into my life miracle.

After my arm scare, I decided to up the carbs. I switched to Primal/Paleo to get more nutrients in my diet from vegetables, fruits and some starches etc. Still felt awful. Was getting bouts of reactive hypoglycemia. Brain fog. No motivation. Moved to PHD, tried a higher carb version of PHD and nope, my physical health just declined.

I ditched carb restricting diets altogether. I now eat a very high carb/Ray Peat/Fruitarian inspired diet (low-fat). Trust me I eat more calories in the form of rice, potatoes, fruits and juice than I ever did on Primal and I'm 5 lbs leaner (with consistent, excellent blood test results). I also have high-fat, low carb days to avoid cravings etc and to ensure I get enough nutrients, but my energy is through the roof and I can finally enjoy life again.

Restricting carbohydrates (especially with individuals who have very efficient glucose metabolisms, i.e. me or any one else struggling with low-carb) is not always optimal, and can downregulate thyroid function, accelerate adrenal fatigue etc. Do not follow the raw Vegan zealots (especially the likes of Freelee or Durianrider on Youtube) who also have the same dogmatic approach.

Experiment. Primal is not the essence of life.
          Interesting. So far I have a delicate balance when I eat starches of how much is too much before i feel bad. Although I haven't eaten too many white potatoes just sweet potatoes and rice thus far.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
            Honestly... I think OP is looking for a quick fix, not a lifestyle change. I lost 25lbs and went from an American pant size 8-10 to 4(-6) gradually over 4-5 years so it was almost painless. No blazing success story for mda front page but I don't mind slow changes. At first from CW healthy (tons of chicken breast, spinach salads with honey mustard, 1 slice of whole wheat bread with pb as my "treat" at the college cafeteria, tons of cardio) to CW low carb (1/2 cup brown rice + 1 slice bread at most a day) to primal (start of law school) to now adding carbs back in to fuel strength workouts. Today I barely resemble the girl who used to eat half an Oreo ice cream cake in one sitting (well...same big appetite just mostly for BBQ/steak/etc).

OP just needs to be a bit hungry and stick with one diet (maybe track calories) to see success. Also if "primal" for OP is tons of primal baked goods, handfuls of nuts, tons of bulletproof coffee and a breakfast, tons of bacon and cheese I can see how that wouldn't help OP lose weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
            Not looking for a quick fix just a fix that doesn't cause me to lose my cycle or have 38 day cycles. I did primal low carb religiously awhile back and lost it. Then I started eating more PHD and next thing I know 38 days. I'm overweight now do to hormones I had to take because I'm not getting any younger and want another baby. So a quick fix for my cycle...yes. But not my life in general. I can lose weight slowly that's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              Try a menu that resembles your most recent ancestors. I feel awesome (and look good, IMO) eating like medieval white people and native americans. Doesn't mean you will.
              This is very interesting. Makes me want to give white potatoes a shot instead of sweet potatoes and rice. What do you mean by medieval whites? Scottish? I'm mostly Scottish with a little German thrown in. I'd love some meal idea if you're eating like Northern Europeans. :-) thanks!

Comment

Raw veggies taste pretty crap, but fruit? Yes please.
                http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I mainly eat my veges cooked and my fruit raw. Just cos that's how I like them best.
                  Annie Ups the Ante
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensparrow View Post
                    This is very interesting. Makes me want to give white potatoes a shot instead of sweet potatoes and rice. What do you mean by medieval whites? Scottish? I'm mostly Scottish with a little German thrown in. I'd love some meal idea if you're eating like Northern Europeans. :-) thanks!
                    Central European, you mean. Sorry, being from Scandinavia, this is a personal pet peeve.
                    But as far as diets go, ours have similarities: tubers, berries, fish, game meat (dark meats in general, so I wouldn't substitute with pork or chicken.... turkey isn't really our area, but might work), dark leafy greens/wild greens, herbs, no hot spices, chest nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, nut oils, cold pressed sunflower/rape-seed oil, cabbages. Dairy and cow's meat are the sort of thing you'll have to experiment with. Northern European inhabitants don't have that long a history with cows as there was a lot of nomadism and Scandinavians generally are poor with (cow's) lactose. However, since we're talking Scotland and Germany, dairy might go down well with you. If not, try sheep/goat's dairy.

Edit: forgot apples, pears and plums.
                    My diary comics
                    My fitness inspiration blog

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                      Try a menu that resembles your most recent ancestors.
                      That's always good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BrainInABody View Post
                        Central European, you mean. Sorry, being from Scandinavia, this is a personal pet peeve.
                        But as far as diets go, ours have similarities: tubers, berries, fish, game meat (dark meats in general, so I wouldn't substitute with pork or chicken.... turkey isn't really our area, but might work), dark leafy greens/wild greens, herbs, no hot spices, chest nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, nut oils, cold pressed sunflower/rape-seed oil, cabbages. Dairy and cow's meat are the sort of thing you'll have to experiment with. Northern European inhabitants don't have that long a history with cows as there was a lot of nomadism and Scandinavians generally are poor with (cow's) lactose. However, since we're talking Scotland and Germany, dairy might go down well with you. If not, try sheep/goat's dairy.

Edit: forgot apples, pears and plums.
                        Ha! Sorry for the mixup! With the exception of the tubers that's pretty much what I eat already....hmmmm. thank you tho for the list.

Comment

Veggies are just another way for me to add some more butter to my diet.

Comment

Raw vegans like to think that all the good enzymes are denatured when you cook veggies. Most of those "enzymes" are likely natural pesticides .. Why would a plant want to help its predator survive? That makes no sense. ]
                            +1

Comment

Raw vegans like to think that all the good enzymes are denatured when you cook veggies. Most of those "enzymes" are likely natural pesticides .. Why would a plant want to help its predator survive? That makes no sense.

Fruits on the other hand... I doubt there is any sort of magical enzymes but at least they are intended to be eaten by animals so the plant can propagate the seeds and expand to far away places. Same with fruit-like veggies.

The enzymes they talk about are present in all raw foods, be it raw milk, eggs or plants (I believe meat too, but I won't say for sure). They are there to break the food down either back into the earth or to digest it in our stomach. We are able to produce those enzymes ourselves and secret them into our stomachs as needed. When we eat food with the enzymes intact we don't need to call our body to do so. This benefits our bodies by allowing the enzymes we have to be used as metabolic enzymes instead of transforming those into digestive enzymes. Now we are not stealing the metabolic enzymes from our bodies and more healing and rebuilding can happen and we are in less of a stealing from Peter to pay Paul situation.
                              PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensparrow View Post
                                I've been browsing over at GreenSmoothieGirl.com, and she seems to make a good case for more raw plant life and less meat/fats. I honestly did horrible on a high fat/meat diet, but I can't wrap my head around eating that much plant matter either. So I've been doing a modified PHD for a little while with not much weightloss or miraculous cures...I honestly feel almost as bad as when I did high fat meat lower carb.
                                Humans are omnivores - we have a digestive system of moderate length and a single stomach. Herbivores often have long intestines and multiple stomachs to break down fiber, while carnivores have short intestines because animal foods do not contain difficult fibers to break down. Raw vegetable foods are much more difficult to break down than well-cooked vegetables and raw OR cooked animal products. Given the human digestive system, why do you think raw vegetables - the foods our bodies are least equipped to handle - would be ideal?

The human body also better assimilates nutrients that are already in the "proper form" to be utilized. Animal-based nutrients (fat, complete proteins, Vitamin A (retinol), DHA-omega 3, Vitamin K2 MK-4, etc) are easily assimilated into the human body while vegetable-based nutrients (carbohydrate, incomplete proteins, Vitamin A (beta carotene), ALA-omega 3, Vitamin K2 MK-7, etc) must be converted in much less efficient processes to be assimilated into the human body. Why would you think meat and fat would be bad for you?

To advocate a raw foods, vegetarian-based diet is to advocate for a diet that your body can extract the least nutrients from. It may be great for weight loss - BECAUSE YOU CAN'T PROPERLY DIGEST THE FOOD AND EXTRACT THE LEAST AMOUNT OF CALORIES. That weight loss will be at the expense of your health. This is why you only see fat, weak vegans (who eat refined flours coated in vegetable oils - easily extracted, low-nutrient calories) and frail, sickly, weak vegans (who eat raw fruits and vegetables - low-toxin foods but with difficult to extract nutrients).

The only vegans that look healthy are those that supplement with lots of protein powders, but no matter what their condition is, they will ALWAYS be healthier with animal foods in their diets. At least vegetarians can eat eggs and milk, so it's something.

Eat meat, eggs, milk/cheese, fruit and starch if you want to maximize your body's ability to extract nutrients. Leave the rabbit food for the rabbits. Vegetables look impressive on paper until you actually understand you can't utilize much of what they have to offer.
                                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                                X