Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1000 calories a day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I would guess that on only 1000 calories (assuming we're talking VLC here) you either won't be able to get enough protein to maintain muscles or body will have to break down some of the protein for fuel.
    I also think that once you get fat gone it won't come back as long as your carbs are kept low. Mark does a great job of maintaining his physique as does the lean gains guy for reference.
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

    Comment


    • #17
      I remember reading this a while ago: http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_...ories-per-day/

      This jives with that Brad Pilon and other say; that building muscle is a function mostly of your workout, not so much how you eat. If you workout enough, your appetite should tell you how much you need to eat. I think it makes sense to just follow your hunger instincts.
      Last edited by yodiewan; 05-12-2010, 12:00 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
        I would guess that on only 1000 calories (assuming we're talking VLC here) you either won't be able to get enough protein to maintain muscles or body will have to break down some of the protein for fuel.
        I also think that once you get fat gone it won't come back as long as your carbs are kept low. Mark does a great job of maintaining his physique as does the lean gains guy for reference.
        We're talking ZC. I'm always going to keep carbs low so hopefully you're right in that it will prevent too much weight regain.
        I'm only eating 60-70 grams of protein per day because I figured that a lot of the 200 grams I was eating was turning into glucose.
        I've only been doing this for a week... as soon as I start seeing bad results I'm going to quit.
        .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
          I remember reading this a while ago: http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_...ories-per-day/

          This jives with that Brad Pilon and other say; that building muscle is a function mostly of your workout, not so much how you eat. If you workout enough, your appetite should tell you how much you need to eat. I think it makes sense to just follow your hunger instincts.

          That's good stuff. Unfortunately I can't do any training atm, so I am bound to lose muscle anyways. My left leg is noticeably thinner already.
          .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

          Comment


          • #20
            Sorry to hear that. Maybe you could do some upper body stuff at least. The overall hormonal response might help preserve at least some muscle in your legs.

            Comment


            • #21
              Update: I'm still on the 1000 calorie plan and I am absolutely NOT starving!! I feel just fine and very energized. AND I FINALLY have ketosis breath! And that sweet smell in my mouth. I am getting skinnier. I don't care about losing some muscle. I will gain it all back easily.

              I think that all the fasting I am doing is actually helping to speed up bone healing. I don't feel any pain at all anymore and I can put weight on my foot. Tomorrow I'm getting another x-ray, and we'll see how that goes... if it's indeed healing fast, I attribute it to my carnivore diet.
              .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
              ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                Oh and it seems to mess with peoples heads that I have s single digit bf and 30 inch waist and I'm still trying to lose fat. I get "you're not trying to lose any more are you?" a lot. Yes, I don't care how much I weigh or what size my waist is. I'm not shifting into maintenance mode until my abs are out and showing in all their glory. If that means I need to get down to five to six percent body fat then so be it. Daemonized is on a mission.
                If you have single digit body fat and don't have abs popping out, something is wrong. If this is the case, I'd suggest that you start doing some heavy lifting by means of squatting and dead lifting. This will grow your core like no other. Those lifts combined with some direct ab work (weighted sit ups, hanging leg raises to the face) should do more to bring out your abs than starving your self to unhealthy BF% levels, that is if you are at single digit BF levels now.

                Comment


                • #23
                  To OP, if you are that low in calories and not resistance training you will lose lean mass. There's nothing you can do, short of using anabolic steroids/hormones.

                  Your body is very efficient. If it is starved and recognizes wasted resources (i.e unused muscle mass) its going to catabolize those unnecessary resources. No matter what your diet is.

                  After noticing you are recovering from an injury, I would not recommend such a deep calorie deficit. Your body needs resources to heal. A slight reduction would be ok if you are over weight. However, starving yourself while recovering probably is not optimal.
                  Last edited by Raleighwood; 05-14-2010, 11:51 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                    Update: I'm still on the 1000 calorie plan and I am absolutely NOT starving!! I feel just fine and very energized. AND I FINALLY have ketosis breath! And that sweet smell in my mouth. I am getting skinnier. I don't care about losing some muscle. I will gain it all back easily.

                    I think that all the fasting I am doing is actually helping to speed up bone healing. I don't feel any pain at all anymore and I can put weight on my foot. Tomorrow I'm getting another x-ray, and we'll see how that goes... if it's indeed healing fast, I attribute it to my carnivore diet.
                    I am totally guilty of not doing squats at all. I've had sciatica and I really don't want to do anything to put my back in jeopardy again. My chest and arms are in great shape and I can do lots of chin ups, pull ups and push ups. I don't do a lot of lower body workouts other that sprints though.
                    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I have increased the inverted sit ups that I do though and that seems to be helping.
                      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Well, how long have you been ingesting 1000kcal/d? How low is your current bodyfat? The lower your bodyfat, the quicker your body is to respond by downregulating certain processes and functions (ie, reproductive, conversion of t4 to t3, sympathetic nervous system output, gh secretion, leptin etc). This doesn't happen over night, and in fact although your body is very adaptive, it takes time to adapt. The fatter you are, the longer you can go without significant fatigue and muscle wasting. This is why some people choose to use a kcalorie tapering method, where kcalories gradually decrease over the span of 3-4days (depending on how lean you are) then they go back up to maintenance levels for a few days. Going back up to maintenance has a bunch of beneficial implications on the body. Leptin will increase, glycogen will be partially (if not fully) replenished, thyroid begins functioning at a more normal rate, and your body will be generally more generous with it's energy (instead of holding on to all of it for inner bodily processes, leaving you fatigued).

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Update: I'm still on the 1000 calorie plan and I am absolutely NOT starving!
                          I am curious - do you know how many grams of protein you are eating each day?
                          Rebecca

                          Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

                          Click the banner below to visit my blog:

                          sigpic

                          Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
                          Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
                          So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
                          Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
                          Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Thanks for all the comments.

                            You see, I am NOT starving. I would know if I was. I am perfectly satiated with 1000 calories. I am 22 hours into an IF and I am just starting to get hungry. I am going to lose muscle either way, but I have to just accept it. Then in one or two months I will start fresh again, and I will be LEAN.

                            I just looked at the mirror, and omg, I have never been this skinny in my life. I am pleased.

                            As for the injury, I think I'll be fine. IF is wonderful for recovery.

                            RSL: I am eating only 70 grams of protein a day. I think that is what did the trick for me. Previously I was taking as much as 200 grams.
                            .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                            ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              If you are getting skinny, but losing muscle instead of, or in addition to, fat, that is not a good thing. There is losing weight, and then there is being healthy. With PB, I believe that the emphasis is on health, not weight loss at the expense of lean tissue. Have you had your body composition done lately?
                              Rebecca

                              Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

                              Click the banner below to visit my blog:

                              sigpic

                              Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
                              Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
                              So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
                              Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
                              Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by RSL View Post
                                If you are getting skinny, but losing muscle instead of, or in addition to, fat, that is not a good thing. There is losing weight, and then there is being healthy. With PB, I believe that the emphasis is on health, not weight loss at the expense of lean tissue. Have you had your body composition done lately?
                                No. I am losing fat. I can taste the shitty taste of ketosis in my mouth constantly. It's mainly in my stomach, so I know it's fat that I am losing. I would guess something like 80% fat, 20% muscle.
                                .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                                ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X